Failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-16 14:56:43 - last edited 2023-09-19 12:15:08
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

I am trying to setup the WAN in ER605, have reached dead end despite of multiple trail and error, any direction is highly appreciated.

Background -

1. I have FTTH connection from my ISP with an Static IP, but it seems my ISP only provides static ip with PPPoEsetup and comes with a subnet of 32 (255.255.255.255). When I try to configure the PPPoE in ER605, I cannot establish internet connectivity.
  2. ISP provides ONT Modem (Router/switch - Syrotech SY-GPON-1101-WDONT) 
  3. LAN port 1 of my ONT is configured as PPPoE and connects to my WAN port 1 or ER605 and is configured as Dynamic IP, I get internet connectivity but due to double NAT I often get DNS error. A quick DNS flush with IP release and renew, the internet starts working.
  4. LAN port 2 of my ONT is configured as bridge and connects to my WAN port 2 of ER605 and is configured as PPPoE, I get "username"at"servierprovider"dot"net failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out."

Goal: I want to configure PPPoE on ER605 and use ISP device only as a Modem (as obviously the above. two set up is not reliable)

Here are all trail and error, but so far nothing works. I am still on a temporary setup of Dynamic IP and in between DNS flush to make things work (doubled NAT)

Trail-1: Configured Modem (ONT) on bridge mode with VLAN ID and MTU provided by the ISP. Configured ER605 with User ID and Password for PPPoE

Result: username"at"servierprovider"dot"net failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out

Trail -2: Configured Modem (ONT) on bridge mode (without VLAN ID and with default MTU of 1500). Configured ER605 with User ID and Password for PPPoE and VLAN ID and MTU provided by ISP.

Result: username"at"servierprovider"dot"net failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out

Trail -3: Configured Modem (ONT) on bridge mode with VLAN ID and MTU provided by the ISP. Configured ER605 with Static IP settings (System did not allow me subnet of 32 so I used subnet of 31).

Result: WAN/LAN1 of Router - XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX is down.

Other Trails - I have tried using the Customize MAC Address of the Modem (for both Bridge Mode and PPPoE mode) but I keep getting PADI times out error.

The only working solution with limitations of DNS flush in between is the Dynamic IP setup and using double NAT (both ISP modem/router and ER605).

I feel this is something to do with ISP may be, but I am not sure what exactly is needed as PADI times out error is quite generic and until and unless I have something specific to go back to ISP with, its quite difficult to solve.

What an I missing?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out.-Solution
2023-09-19 12:14:59 - last edited 2023-09-19 12:15:08

This is finally sorted out today. I requested the ISP folks to reset the MAC. They asked me for the info regarding my WAN mac (not PPPoE MAC) as well as MAC of my new router (ER605).

The WAN mac was provided on the ONT on the back side

Here is complete setup in case someone wants to refer

1. On the ONT side

• Set up ONT on bridge MODE
  • Select both IPV4/IPV6 on the IP Protocol Mode
  • Tick Enable VLAN and enter the VLAN ID provide by ISP
  • Select 7 on 802.1p
  • Select INTERNET on service mode
  • Turn off LAN DHCP, unchecked

-Port Binding - I have selected both Port1 and Port 2
-Save and Apply

2. On the Router Side (TP-Link ER605 for me)
A. IPv4 settings

• Connection Type PPPoE
  • User name and Password provided by ISP
  • Advance Settings

- Get IP from ISP - Enabled
- Primary DNS - (Provided by ISP) - 218.248.112.193
- Secondary DNS - (Provided by ISP) - 218.248.112.225
- Connection Mode - Connect Automatically
- Redial Interval - 10 secs
- Service name - FTTH
- MTU - 1492
- MRU - 1492
- Internet VLAN - Unchecked (if you check this here and enter the VLAN ID provided by ISP it will give authentication error)
B. IPv6
- Connection Type - PPPoE
- Get IPv6 Address - Automatically
- Prefix Delegation - Enabled
- Prefix Delegation Size - 64
- DNS Address - Get from ISP Dynamically

C. MAC Address - Customize MAC Address
- MAC Address - Enter the WAN MAC address (not the PPPoE)

Apply and it should connect to both IP4 and IP6.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out.
2023-09-17 06:21:22 - last edited 2023-09-17 06:21:47

@youbarajsha 

A quick search suggests that when configuring bridge mode ( if your ONT is similar to other Syrotech ONTs ) that you need to disable DHCP on the LAN and select which ethernet port you wish to use to connect to the ER605

See example here https://gist.github.com/cmangla/6e6e15deed7435ebb2bddfaf3e77b5de

Options
2023-09-17 11:33:17

@MisterW I have already done that. As I am deleting the current config, its frees up all the bind ports. Then I am rebinding the port for bridge mode, but still get same error. In another attempt, I removed port 1 from the current working internet (route mode) and bind it to bridge mode, but still get the same error. 

This looks like some configuration issue on the ISP side, but until and unless I have a specific reason as to why PADI is not able to reach the ISP end, I am just shooting on dark with multiple permutation and combination on my side.

Options
2023-09-17 12:06:53

@youbarajsha 

In that case can I suggest you look at the MAC address of the WAN port on the ER605. I've seen situations where the ISP will only accept connections from a specific MAC address.

Try and find the MAC address the ONT is using when its in router mode. The use the change MAC address on the ER605 to change its WAN MAc to the same one. Then try the ONT back in bridge mode. Make sure that only one of either the ONT or the ER605 is settings the VLAN ID and not both. I'd suggest setting the VLAN ID in the ONT and making sure the ER605 has VLAN disabled

Options
Re:Failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out.-Solution
2023-09-19 12:14:59 - last edited 2023-09-19 12:15:08

This is finally sorted out today. I requested the ISP folks to reset the MAC. They asked me for the info regarding my WAN mac (not PPPoE MAC) as well as MAC of my new router (ER605).

The WAN mac was provided on the ONT on the back side

Here is complete setup in case someone wants to refer

1. On the ONT side

• Set up ONT on bridge MODE
  • Select both IPV4/IPV6 on the IP Protocol Mode
  • Tick Enable VLAN and enter the VLAN ID provide by ISP
  • Select 7 on 802.1p
  • Select INTERNET on service mode
  • Turn off LAN DHCP, unchecked

-Port Binding - I have selected both Port1 and Port 2
-Save and Apply

2. On the Router Side (TP-Link ER605 for me)
A. IPv4 settings

• Connection Type PPPoE
  • User name and Password provided by ISP
  • Advance Settings

- Get IP from ISP - Enabled
- Primary DNS - (Provided by ISP) - 218.248.112.193
- Secondary DNS - (Provided by ISP) - 218.248.112.225
- Connection Mode - Connect Automatically
- Redial Interval - 10 secs
- Service name - FTTH
- MTU - 1492
- MRU - 1492
- Internet VLAN - Unchecked (if you check this here and enter the VLAN ID provided by ISP it will give authentication error)
B. IPv6
- Connection Type - PPPoE
- Get IPv6 Address - Automatically
- Prefix Delegation - Enabled
- Prefix Delegation Size - 64
- DNS Address - Get from ISP Dynamically

C. MAC Address - Customize MAC Address
- MAC Address - Enter the WAN MAC address (not the PPPoE)

Apply and it should connect to both IP4 and IP6.

Recommended Solution
Options