ER605 doesn't connect/recognize ONU

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-18 01:29:13
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

This afternoon I moved the Omada Controller (docker) from my server to the RPI and everything was working fine, except the router that, once I reseted it in order to be picked up by the other controller, it suddenly stopped recognizing the ONU (mine is just a converter fiber - RJ45), phisically it is connected but on the interface it shows that there is nothing connected to that port, the light on that port blink in patterns, each 2s it blinks two times both on ONU and Router, but just that.

I've tried reseting and connecting it through it's own interface (avoiding Omada Controller), or even downgrading it to an older version (it was at 2.2 but I download 2.1.2 from this forum) but there was no difference, at some point it did detect the ONU, but I was getting "[WAN] of ER605 is down." all the time (not a visual bug, the internet was going down too)...

It's curious that my backup router  (Huawei WS5200, provided by my ISP) has the same PPPoE settings (basically only username and password, no fancy things such as virtual ports or specific MAC address) and quickly connects to the ONU and internet. And right now I have it's LAN connected to the WAN on ER605 and it works perfectly, so I don't have the slightest idea of what should I  do expect throwing that to the trash.

Another thing, really, why I can't login to the controller when there is no internet connection? It doesn't even make sense. The error message after clicking on Login is "Unable to login, check  your network connection" (something like that).

Sorry if I sounded frustrated, I've spent a couple of hours circling around this issue and couldn't get it working.

Options
2 Reply
Re:ER605 doesn't connect/recognize ONU
2023-09-18 03:37:31

@Chris_45 

you don't sound frustrated but sound like the type not following the guide. 

if you are that tech savvy, playing around with the docker and pi, and have also done some verifications on the router, and you MADE it work before, does this ever cross your mind that you miss something, like MAC Clone?

I don't see why you made it work before if you did not clone the mac address. 

remember that if your old device works, but not on the new one, it's never an issue with the router. but your isp. mac clone it.

software controller never requires internet access. instead, you gotta be in the same subnet. you moved it on a docker, docker got an IP address right? like the VM. do you match the IP address with your device? same subnet at least... dude.. basic networking.

don't be frustrated and start thinking and googling things before pointing fingers and sounding pessimistic and negative. 

if you are not familiar with the stuff, and you play around with the docker/vm, refer to the video on youtube guide which you probably watched. i don't think any newbies will just start the controller on docker or vm. docker and VM require much more knowledge than usual networking knowledge. you gotta be watching some videos for instructions or ideas. then refer to the guide there. 

figure out how things work and basic networking knowledge. everything happens for a reason. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
Re:ER605 doesn't connect/recognize ONU
2023-09-20 00:47:26 - last edited 2023-09-20 00:48:23

@Tedd404 thank you for your reply! It's ackward to say after all this but yup, you where right and the MAC was to blame, after cloning it everything started working perfectly fine with no error logs, I didn't consider the MAC a issue because I never set it up and the one being used was from the ER605 itself, and all this time it did work just fine, but today I got to confirm with my ISP that yeah, actually they do only allow the MAC from their own routers, so really I have no idea what happened here lol.

I did blame the ER605 cuz latelly (past 2 months, after that wave of updates that TP-Link released and it updated to v2.2) it frequently disconnected from Omada Controller, sometimes it was just a quick notification but more recently it disconnected and simplily would refuse to connect again to the controller, hopefully now that I downgraded back to v2.1.2 it won't do that again.

I always used the dockerized version of the controller, until recently only on my Unraid server and now on a RPI, but after more than a year on the Omada ecossystem I had to reset the ER605 and especially the controller a couple of times because randomly it would break for no apparent reason (and I had to start from scratch).

You mentioned about subnets but nah, by default it's on bridge and you just publish the ports and use the IP from the host device, the difference in my setup is that before I had the controller running with a fixed IP on br0.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 289

Replies: 2

Related Articles