Solution for Public WIFI in Multiple Location with centralised management

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-03 14:39:59
Model: OC300   ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

Hello everyone, i would like to ask for everyone's assistance on how to go about with my plan.

1. My case has something to do  about having PAID PUBLIC WIFI in our town's public parks using the VOUCHER method of OMADA.

2. My intention is to have 1 SINGLE SSID in all 20 locations and that the system should allow seamless roaming between location as long as the VOUCHER is still valid.

USE CASE:

> I am in Location A which is a seaside park connected to "MYTOWN Public WIFI" using a 24 hour voucher, Location A is also the "HQ" for this setup.

> Later in the afternoon, we decided to go to Location B which is a Lakeside Park that has the "MYTOWN Public WIFI" in the area. Since my voucher is valid for 24 hours, i should be able to connect to "MYTOWN PUBLIC WIFI" in Location B (Lakeside Park)

> At night, we went to watch a movie in an LOCATON C Outdoor Cinema/Car Park, the park has the "MYTOWN Public WIFI". I should be able to connect to these network using the VOUCHER i used in Location A, and Location B.

======================

I am attaching the topology for your comment.

Please note that I have a STATIC IP ADDRESS and the ports for OMADA OC300 is already opened, and the hardware in LOCATION A, B, and C are all adopted to the OC300 in HQ, except for the routers , It looks like i cannot add more than 1 ROUTER in a SINGLE SITE.

2. How do i go about with my plan so that i will only have 1 DHCP server for all sites.

I hope i make sense. Please let me know if you need more info or if i said something confusing.

Wha i have now are 3 SEPARATE SITES as shown below

Options
6 Reply
Re:Solution for Public WIFI in Multiple Location with centralised management
2023-10-03 15:00:49

@IanCC 

I'm guessing it will work. I would put routers and switches in different sites. you can only have one router in each site. but all the access points must be in the same site. they must also be in the same wlan group. it is not possible to roam between wlan groups.
when you have all the access points in one site, the voucher will work even if it is in another place or network

Options
2023-10-03 16:03:03

@MR.S 

Thank you for the input, your suggestion makes sense.

I made some visual representation on what you have said.

Using this segregation method i have full control of all the hardware in my network while also achieving the desired result.

I wonder if there are other ways of doing this thing.

Options
2023-10-03 16:14:07

@IanCC 

Here's the thing you also gotta remember... the GUEST portal sucks up memory.  

If you're expecting a lot of wireless clients... that means a Guest Portal will be used for each client.  More user, more memory being used.

OC300 MAY not have enough horsepower to support it all PLUS with all the adopted devices.  You may want to look into a self-hosted a controller on site.  Like a decent i7 tower will 16GB + of RAM.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-03 16:25:04

@KimcheeGUN 

Hi, thank you so much, i admit, at this stage i have not thought about the point that you just raised. what i have in mind is the specs of OC300 as provided in the website

• Up to 500 Omada access points, JetStream switches, and SafeStream routers
• Up to 15,000 clients

Although as the need arise,  I have access to a Dell PowerEdge Server with 2x 12 Core Xeon Processor and 256GB of RAM.

Options
2023-10-03 16:35:08

@IanCC 

I can't think of any other way to do this, so your sketch looks good.smiley

as an alternative, you can create a separate site for the paid network with only access point in, and if you need an access point in the office, you adopt these into the various sites.

IanCC wrote

@MR.S 

Thank you for the input, your suggestion makes sense.

I made some visual representation on what you have said.

Using this segregation method i have full control of all the hardware in my network while also achieving the desired result.

I wonder if there are other ways of doing this thing.

Options
2023-10-03 16:59:25

@IanCC 

To play it safe, I would self-host.  

The OC300 does say 15k Clients, but it doesn't mention guest portals.    

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options