Open VPN router connection with PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-09 17:33:10 - last edited 2023-10-10 01:03:58

Hello everyone,

I am trying to crate VPN acces from my ER8411 Router to my PC through open VPN. I am doing this in Omada. I tried to crate a VPN policy with open VPN as Server on the Router site (Client to site). Using UDP with Port 1194. in Local Network I choose "All" (only option). Wan I choose the WAN port of the incoming internet (WAN/LAN4 for me). IP pool I wasn't sure what to type in. I choose 192.168.0.200/ 24.

On the PC site I downloaded Open VPN and imported the VPN file, wich I exported from the Router. When I now what to connect, OpenVPN shows me: T Error: TSL key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds

and

TSL handshake failed.

what did I Do wrong?

I should also mention, that the TP-link Router is not the first device. It is getting its internet connection from a FritzBox where I activated port forwarding for the TP-link router.

Options
14 Reply
Re:Open VPN router connection with PC
2023-10-10 02:37:24
The IP Pool you mentioned refers to the virtual IP address to be assigned to the device connected to the VPN, you can try to set it to 172.168.10.1/24, save it and then export the VPN file again, then import the VPN file on the PC side to connect to the VPN. You can refer to this link for configuration: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3633/
Options
2023-10-10 03:14:07

@Md-Ripon3 

First, thanks for the answer. But after I did everything in the link you send and tried their as well as your and other IP addresses for the IP pool, I still get the same error. 

Options
2023-10-10 03:18:27

@Chris-Cross 

post your config and wan IP address(first 5 digits) here.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-10-10 03:48:02

@Tedd404 

If you mean my VPN policy:

Name BMC

Purpouse: Client to site VPN

VPN Type: VPN-Server OpenVPN

Accout Password: Enabled (also tried with disable)

Tunle mode: Split

Protocol: UDP

Service Port: 1194 (also tried 1196/ 1199)

Local Network Type: Network

Local Neworks: All

WAN: WAN/LAN4 (the Port, where my Internet goes in)

IP Pool: 192.168.0.150/24 (also tried many other IPs and check in clients if they are not already take)

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

I of course also configured VPN user, when I activated Password in VPN policy section.

My WAN IP is: 188.10x.xxx.x

Options
2023-10-10 05:55:13
1. It is recommended to post a screenshot of the OpenVPN configuration and LAN status. 2. Maybe you can try to use other software to connect to OpenVPN, there are many such software on the internet.
Options
2023-10-10 14:14:26

@Md-Ripon3 

In my FritzBox it shows under IPv4 DS-Lite-Tunnel and AFTR-Gateway: 2a02:xxx::xx:xxxx

and under IPv6 Adress: 2a02:xxx:xxxx:2::xxxx/64

IPv6 Präfix: 2a02:xxx:xxxx:xxxx::/59

Does it have to do anything with this?

Options
2023-10-10 16:04:06 - last edited 2023-10-10 16:16:27

Oh and here also a picture of my Config. I physically as well as in the config, changed the incoming internet port to SFP+ Wan1.

I also tried other programs like Pritunl now, with the same result. I don't know what to do anyomore. If I am in the same network it manages to establish a connection. But as soon as I leave the network (what is part of the purpose of a VPN) I get no connection. I don't now what to do anymore?!

Options
2023-10-11 06:52:05
Your configuration doesn't seem to have any problems. tsl key negotiation fails probably due to the following reasons: 1. If there is still a gateway on the front end of the ER8411, it could be due to the NAT gateway not being configured with a port forwarding rule corresponding to the internal address of the OpenVPN server. Or the server address in the OpenVPN configuration file does not point to the public IP address of the gateway, but to the IP address of the ER8411. 2.PC's firewall is blocking access to openvpn, you may need to set up a whitelist or temporarily disable the firewall for OpenVPN to work properly.
Options
2023-10-11 08:30:28

@Md-Ripon3 

After completely deactivating the PC firewall, it still does not work. I also think, it's like u said. It might very well be because the IP of the config file is not pointing to the TP-link router. But how do I change this?

In the Gateway in front of the TP-link Router, I already aktivated, that ports are automatically opening for that device.

Options
2023-10-11 09:20:24

@Chris-Cross 

You can try to open the OpenVPN file in txt format, find the corresponding IP content and change it to the public IP of the router's front-end gateway.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1248

Replies: 14

Related Articles