Bug report: ACL rules cannot be created or edited in ER605's latest firmware, in standalone mode.

Bug report: ACL rules cannot be created or edited in ER605's latest firmware, in standalone mode.

2023-10-11 18:42:50 - last edited 2023-11-10 12:39:16
Tags: #Gateway ACL #Bug report
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I know this is an EOL product and I'm not requesting new feature, just sharing a bug report here.

This bug happens in v1.3.0 and the previous v1.2.3 firmware as well.

Under Firewall -> Access Control when you try to create a new rule or edit an existing one, you cannot finish this process clicking on the OK button because it does not close the frame of that rule. You cannot edit other rules or create new one until you click Cancel button which will undo what you just created/edited.

If you - after unsuccessfully clicking on OK button - click on other menu point on the left bar, out of Access Control and go back to the ACL list, you will see that the device actually saved what you created/edited. This is the only way to work-around this issue. But important to click on the OK button before jumping to other section and back.

I tried different browsers, even tried it on my Android phone's Edge and Firefox browsers. In some cases, on the first try the OK button did finish the process correctly but afterwards never again.

This is clearly a bug with the code about OK button in that ACL section. Other parts of the admin page do not behave this way.

I suspect that it's related to the "unsupported browser" bug, something to do with the erronous cache management in these last firmware versions.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Bug report: ACL rules cannot be created or edited in ER605's latest firmware, in standalone mode.-Solution
2023-11-10 12:39:10 - last edited 2023-11-10 12:39:16

Let me give some update about the issue:

It turned out that when I create or modify an ACL rule and click on OK, it does not close the frame for that rule...

...for a long time but eventually it closes. Which means the problem lays on processing speed of the ER605.

This issue had not happened in earlier firmwares (before v1.2.1 or so). This is clearly a bug but I don't expect developers spend their time on this EOL product.

The time it takes to close the opened frame is about 25-30 seconds. More than the time it takes to show the ACL rules when arriving to this page.

And as I've already said, if - after clicking on OK - you move to another part of the admin page and return, the change will be saved. So the waiting time is not related to saving the new/modified settings.

This issue has happaned in all major browsers (Chrome, FF, Edge), both on mac and windows, choosing Private browsing/Incognito mode.

Dev support that has reached me, claimed that he/she had tested it with my backup settings (provided by me) and had not experienced the issue. However, it's not clear for me how long he/she had to wait for the process complete.

Clearly the latest two firmwares introduced some bug, related to cache management that causes inconsistencies on the admin page in Standalone mode. Besides the issue shared in this thread, other problems:

- sudden logouts (during active usage)

- CPU graph not showing up with the values

- similar slow downs (and halted operation) in other sections where there are also dozens of items in list, e.g. LAN page.

- and the unsupported browser message that had never happened before.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Bug report: ACL rules cannot be created or edited in ER605's latest firmware, in standalone mode.
2023-10-12 07:38:09

@Arion This bug sounds interesting, so you suspect that the ER605 V1's firmware is incompatible with existing browsers?Do other versions of ER605 have this problem?

Options
Re:Bug report: ACL rules cannot be created or edited in ER605's latest firmware, in standalone mode.
2023-10-12 08:08:10

@barrolete 

I don't have newer version of ER605 or other models like ER7206 that is the bigger brother. So I can't test it on those.

The "unsupported browser" issue is not necessarily a compatibility issue, it's a cache management issue because that problem can be bypassed opening Private Window page.

This "OK button" issue has no remedy. Only the work around but that is annoying and time consuming when you have dozens of rules and it takes 10+ seconds to reload the list after each step.

Options
2023-10-12 08:20:53

Hi @Arion 

Arion wrote

@barrolete 

I don't have newer version of ER605 or other models like ER7206 that is the bigger brother. So I can't test it on those.

The "unsupported browser" issue is not necessarily a compatibility issue, it's a cache management issue because that problem can be bypassed opening Private Window page.

This "OK button" issue has no remedy. Only the work around but that is annoying and time consuming when you have dozens of rules and it takes 10+ seconds to reload the list after each step.

I don't run any issues with the V1 1.3.0 release. ACL can be created properly and save instantly after clicking the "OK" button. 40 seconds I created 3 rules and no issue at all.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-12 08:29:37 - last edited 2023-10-12 08:33:15

@Clive_A 

Do you run the (UN) version?

Did you try creating rules in previous version first and upgrading the firmware and then try to create or edit rules?

And did you try it on Android phone with Firefox and Edge browser?

I didn't try it on a blank configuration from zero as I needed to have my already existing config backup running.

In the past I rebuilt the whole network to try to solve the other bug (messing up the order of VLAN list) and it didn't make a difference, this time I had no more extra hours to do so, just to see whether the bug occurs only when existing config is used instead of on a zeroed device.

Options
2023-10-12 08:32:48

@Arion 

So you are saying that you upgraded it from the previous official release and with existing ACL rules, after upgrading to the V1.3.0, you ran into this issue?

I can do a downgrade right now with the three rules I created and try to reproduce your issue.

What else is required?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-12 08:44:47 - last edited 2023-10-12 09:00:18

@Clive_A 

As we have spoken about it in another thread, I went back to previous firmware, several different ones (1.2.3, 1.2.1) after doing a reset and restored the backed up config on those previous versions and upgraded to 1.3.0

In  v1.2.1 the OK button worked, however it does not have the new States feature. But on that version I used a backed up config from later fw version (probably from v1.2.2 beta).

Unfortunately I did not have a backup from v1.3.0 and apparently not even from v1.2.3.

(The problem started to appear with an unwanted reset by the janitor without talking to me.)

If you think these could have caused the issue. I will have to go back to the location one day and try to rebuild every config from ground zero. That's not fun.

Options
2023-10-12 08:48:42 - last edited 2023-10-12 08:57:22

one more thing, if I remember well, in the v1.2.1 with the config that was from later version, appeared the field of States with the 4 options, even if that feature hasn't been presented in that version yet. I'm not sure but if it was that way, I will have to rebuild everything for sure.

Or just leave it this way, it does not present any issue in operation so far other then the OK button problem.

Edit:

I checked it that I restored the config that was backed up on that exact version (ER605v1_un_1.2.1_20220726-rel61682_up_2022-07-26_17.17.32.bin). So I did not use backup from later version at all, before upgrading to 1.3.0

What if the problem occurs because of the amount (around 50) of rules I have?

Options
2023-10-12 09:08:42

@Arion 

Arion wrote

one more thing, if I remember well, in the v1.2.1 with the config that was from later version, appeared the field of States with the 4 options, even if that feature hasn't been presented in that version yet. I'm not sure but if it was that way, I will have to rebuild everything for sure.

Or just leave it this way, it does not present any issue in operation so far other then the OK button problem.

I am confused again. A lower version cannot use a backup from a higher version. I am not sure how you import that. 1.2.1 did not add new features like 1.3.0.

I am not sure if there is a language barrier between us and I am having a hard time understanding your question.

I asked if it that your case that you had an existing config on your device prior to the firmware upgrade. After the upgrade to 1.3.0, the ACL "OK" button issue started. That was not answered. I am trying to reproduce what you have said but it seems that you missed my question.

And I also cannot understand how our UI did not add this feature and it showed up there.. I am getting confused by this description again.

Options
2023-10-12 09:28:50

@Clive_A 

A few minutes after that post I edited it, check it above!

1. Preformed a reset in v1.3.0

2. Downgraded it to v1.2.1

3. Loaded (restored) a backup from that same (v1.2.1) version

4. Upgraded it to v1.3.0

After pressing OK button (in ACL list) does not finish the process, it leaves the frame – related to that rule – open. And you are stuck, only have to choices: either click on Cancel that will undo your new modification, or go to other menu item on the left bar and go back then to Access Control. If you clicked OK button at least once before leaving that section, it will be saved but you have to go out of this section clicking on other section on the left bar of the admin page.

Options
2023-10-12 09:31:32

@Arion

Do you mind sharing the file with me? The backup. If you will, I'll send private messages to you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 679

Replies: 13

Tags

Gateway ACL
Bug report
Related Articles