Device upgrade fails for any device on latest Controller Software 5.12.7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-14 13:56:22 - last edited 2023-10-14 14:08:20

I'm having trouble upgrading any of my devices firmware from the Omada Controller after upgrading to version 5.12.7... whichever way I try it I get "file invalid, try correct file"...

I have been holding off on upgrading for quite a while and have eventually ended up with a whole bunch of devices with new FW available. I upgraded my EAP635's by resetting to factory and manually upgrading via the device UI and then readopting. I don't want to go that route with the switches however. 

I'm running the Controller Software on a virtualized Ubuntu machine. The switches I'm trying to upgrade are TL-SG2428P v4, TL-SX3206HPP v1 and TL-SX3008F v1, and the APs were EAP635 (EU). All on the next to latest firmware... The controller indicates an upgrade is starting, and after a short while an error message pops up stating "Upgrading device so and so failed because the upgrade file is invalid. Please select a correct file."

I notice in the logs that it reads e.g. "Failed to upgrade 6-Port 10G to firmware version 1.0.3 Build 20230131 Rel.12601 online.".

However the firmware I'm trying to upgrade to is actually 1.0.4 in this case. It is the same on all the other devices, with the log stating it tried to upgrade to the already installed version. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, as trying manually via Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade using the correct version fails as well. 

As I am running virtualized it was simple enough to start up a backup running on the previous releases, 5.9.9 and 5.9.31. I upgraded one switch each on the respective releases withouth any problems. Besides the issue with upgrades, vesion 5.12.7 is really slow and unresponsive!! 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Device upgrade fails for any device on latest Controller Software 5.12.7
2023-10-14 15:45:39

@Gblenn 

there is some change on port when upgrading device, Im not sure when it happend bur device itself need access to management port on controller. deafult TCP/8043 on software controller. so chech this port,

if closed upgrade is not posible.

Options
2023-10-15 07:55:45

@MR.S There is a note on changed ports, but it's since v5 (5.x.x). And I don't really see that it's relevant for anything other than when traversing a Firewall/NAT. In my case though, everything is on the same LAN.

As the port change is in reference to 5.x.x and I was running 5.9.9 before, the ports would be the same as after upgrading to 5.12.7, where I started having the problems (including the sluggish behavior). And now I am on 5.9.31 which works perfectly fine, in all regards. And all devices are adopted, that part didn't present any problems regardless of version.

Options
2023-10-16 11:53:12

Hello @Gblenn

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Based on your description, we still strongly suggest you check whether there are any firewalls or settings blocking the ports that the controller used to upgrade the device's firmware. Please refer to this Solution post.

If it doesn't help, please share a screenshot of the error message and the Device list page.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-10-18 14:58:26

I too am having difficulty checking for updates with the latest controller running in a docker container (with network=host)

In the logs I see this Java exception

Options
2023-10-19 13:00:37

@Hank21 Thanks for replying, but as you can see in my inital post, there are no problems upgrading when on earlier relases of v5 (v5.9.9 and 5.9.31). As soon as I upgraded to 5.12.7 it fails the upgrade... Downloading a file and trying manually from Config menu for the devices, gives the same result so we can rule out firewall issues, which anyway show nothing in the logs at the moment of testing (pfsense). 

Unfortunately I can't provide any screenshots as I have already upgraded my devices after going back to 5.9.31. But the error message is exactly as I stated, and appears in the UI at the top after a short while. The device list shows Connected for all devices, and then the device being upgraded changes to "Upgrading" and then it fails with "Upgrading EAP635 failed because the upgrade file is invalid. Please select a correct file."

With regards to the solution in the link you provided, there is nothing applicable there as I am already on v5... and all devices adopted since way back. 

If there is a way to downgrade for example an AP to an older version I could do some more testing, but I feel I tried enough already that I have proven to myself that 5.12.7 is broken!

And it's anyway obvious that things are not working well with that version as it is really slow (on Chrome and Firefox) compared to previous versions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1231

Replies: 5

Related Articles