OpenVPN Client to use local internet not VPN internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-17 20:19:59 - last edited 2023-10-17 20:22:42
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I have an OpenVPN setup working. I have selected the split tunnel option.

On clients internet does resolve and outlook disconnects with default settings.

The IPsetup is as follows:

ER7206 = 192.168.0.21

VPNpool 10.0.0.0 / 24

I have been reading many blogs without propper succes, but was partly succesful with adding "redirect-gateway def1", but while this works, it is pushing internet via VPN which is not what we want.

Not sure if this is due to the default pool of 10.0.0.0. / 24 or what causes the prpblem.

I would be really grateful if someone could assist me to modify client settings to use the clients local internet.

Client config file (After I added "redirect-gateway def1":

client
dev tun
proto udp
float
redirect-gateway def1
nobind
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo no
resolv-retry infinite
persist-key
auth-user-pass
remote 192.168.1.2 1194

EDIT: Controlled using OC200

Options
6 Reply
Re:OpenVPN Client to use local internet not VPN internet
2023-10-18 02:18:50

@toac 

Maybe you can refer to this topic and downgrade the version of your OpenVPN Client. We all know that the version of VPN in Tplink's router may not be that new. 

OpenVPN stops DNS on W10 client - Business Community (tp-link.com)

Options
2023-10-18 07:27:02

@Dahliana , thanks for your suggestion, I will try find a compatible client. Unfortunately, I'm not part of "all of us" and wasn't aware there was a client issue. It is unfortunate TP-Link don't make a note on the OpenVPN setup page as to which version of client is compatible to that version of Router/Controller.

Would be really nice if TP Link could confirm latest compatible version of client.

Options
2023-10-19 15:47:16

I believe the latest beta for the Controller (or maybe the 7206??) fixes this issue if using OpenVPN Connect.  If you are using OpenVPN GUI, then it will work as is but you need to use the 2.4.x version.  I updated to the latest beta and it did allow me to use OpenVPN connect on Windows.

I am in the same camp as everyone else though.  I wish they would update the version.  The current version uses weaker encryption.

Options
2023-10-19 16:57:48

@muzicman0 I was successful with Gui version 2.4.9 and able to use local Internet. Really hope TP-Link cam offer a solution, which I'm sure is just a mod to the client configuration. The latest version works fine, if you want all traffic up/down the van.

Pity as I like new Connect interface.

If I get the energy I may test beta, but wasted so much time on this already.

Options
2023-10-19 18:39:55

@toac It was the Router firmware not the Controller.  Just FYI, here are the fixes listed related to OpenVPN:

2. Fix the bug that VPN Client cannot access the other side through IPsec when the device act as a PPTP/L2TP/OpenVPN Server and also establishes IPsec VPN with other devices.

11. Fix bugs related to OpenVPN:

• OpenVPN clients cannot proxy Internet access through the device.
  • OpenVPN IPpool cannot be configured.
  • When the device is used as an OpenVPN Server and the option is Split mode, OpenVPN clients cannot access the Internet normally.
  • Remote IP error displayed in the OpenVPN Tunnel interface when the device connects successfully as an OpenVPN Client.
  • When the device acts as an OpenVPN Client, OpenVPN fails to start when there are unsupported fields in the OVPN file.

Taken from: ER7206 V1_1.4.0_Build 20230828 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller v5.12 (Released on Sep 5th, 2023) - Business Community (tp-link.com)

Options
2023-10-20 09:38:04

@muzicman0 thanks for the information. Wish I had of found this earlier in the week, as spent a lot of time trying to resolve this before downgrading clients. As this is in a productive office environment I'll wait for the "stable" version, which will hopefully be less risky.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 591

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles