State of v1 hardware support?

2023-10-24 00:59:55 - last edited 2023-10-25 06:16:35
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230511 Rel.51317

We finally got the hardware controller (OC200) upgrade, to find out gateway needs an update for most of the new features, but none available.  Edit: Official download pages (both US and EN) only show last update is 1.2.1 was June of 2022(!), but my device status says 1.3.0,  20230511 (still 5 months ago.)

Is v1 of the R605 still being supported/updated? Is there a roadmap of (estimated) update schedule, of what features will be deprecated/not supported/not enabled? I know there are hardware limitations, but it's frustrating that I bought into the ecosystem partly for the warranty (heck I bought a second one as a cold spare/possibly for OpenWRT conversion) and to be constantly waiting on new features/fixes because of what the reseller (Amazon) happened to have in stock that day.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:State of v1 hardware support?-Solution
2023-10-24 01:25:16 - last edited 2023-10-25 06:16:35

Hi @YATechMonkey 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

ER605 is EOL now: TP-Link End of Life Products

There will be security fixes yet we may not release any new features you see on the Omada Controller. Apology for this inconvenience.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:State of v1 hardware support?-Solution
2023-10-24 01:25:16 - last edited 2023-10-25 06:16:35

Hi @YATechMonkey 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

ER605 is EOL now: TP-Link End of Life Products

There will be security fixes yet we may not release any new features you see on the Omada Controller. Apology for this inconvenience.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:State of v1 hardware support?
2023-10-24 20:10:56

@Clive_A - Thank you for the reply, and the yes the info is helpful, if disheartening.

The search for a better home networking solution continues. Sad that I have to take TP-Link off the list.

Options
2023-11-06 15:03:39

@YATechMonkey 

I too own a bunch of ER605v1 doorstops.  My fault for not looking under the hood before purchase, they basically look like Mustangs but are powered by lawnmower engines, so contrained by lack of memory (both RAM and Flash) that they just cannot keep up with the gateway codebase/roadmap--and they STILL have a memory leak that was never resolved (despite multiple betas and tickets).  Those devices never should have been the entry level Omada device, not ever!  That said, the ER605v2 has enough resources to keep up with most of what any home/SOHO type deployment could need so I don't think you necessarily need to throw the entire Omada lineup out with the bathwater on the basis of one initial mistake in the router lineup.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-07 05:23:01
There are some active efforts on openwrt forums to flash the r605 v1, so far unsuccessful but they're trying. so there's still some hope for a second life for your doorstops!
Options
2023-12-22 04:32:53

@NinjaMonkey LOL, yeah, that was me that started that thread on the Open-WRT forum, but I haven't had the time/inclination to pursue it without help from the community to answer basic questions.

Ironically, the OpenWRT support for my previous TP-Link hardware is one of the reasons I considered/chose TPLink for my network upgrade in the first place. I'm not very happy with my choice.

Options
2023-12-22 06:18:21

Hi @YATechMonkey

YATechMonkey wrote

@NinjaMonkey LOL, yeah, that was me that started that thread on the Open-WRT forum, but I haven't had the time/inclination to pursue it without help from the community to answer basic questions.

Ironically, the OpenWRT support for my previous TP-Link hardware is one of the reasons I considered/chose TPLink for my network upgrade in the first place. I'm not very happy with my choice.

If you don't wanna go with the official firmware, and you are tech-savvy and can play around with your device, consider a different brand. Or open-source build on your server.

Most of our products are not supported to flash the OpenWRT firmware because of the chipset. I think is information can be easily found on their forum. Unlucky, you did not seem to research and find it before you buy.

For anyone who's interested in getting this thing "jail braked", that'll void the warranty if you flash any firmware to it. It's your choice and we can refuse your RMA request if it bricked.

If you look forward to buying our products and flash third-party firmware, don't do it. Be responsible for your own actions/choices.

Options
2024-01-08 06:53:57

@Clive_A  - Could you please re-read both what I post and your reply, and see how insulting your reply could sound?

I don't *want* to go to OpenWRT, I want(ed) a reasonably capable pro-sumer system that I could set up and be mostly hands-off, that would be supported for a reasonable amount of time. (Which is what Omada is advertised as.) Instead, because of luck of the manufacturing draw*, the hardware I purchased (from the Official TP-Link "Store" on Amazon) is no longer supported. (With no indication there were multiple versions and I was getting the underpowered/deprecated/shortened life one.)

The (potential/likely) OpenWRT support was merely an additional reason I went with TP-Link Omada, after having a very positive experience using it on earlier TP-Link hardware, 
as a way to lengthen the use of the hardware when needed. I researched it quite well on that front.

And yes, anyone that flashes 3rd party does so at own risk, and if someone bricks their stuff with it and tries an RMA, it should be refused. Duh, of course - but that's really not relevant to anything I was talking about. (And you might re-consider being antagonistic to the very folks that a large portion of your product was built upon.)

Options
2024-01-08 07:11:20

Hi @YATechMonkey

YATechMonkey wrote

@Clive_A  - Could you please re-read both what I post and your reply, and see how insulting your reply could sound?

I don't *want* to go to OpenWRT, I want(ed) a reasonably capable pro-sumer system that I could set up and be mostly hands-off, that would be supported for a reasonable amount of time. (Which is what Omada is advertised as.) Instead, because of luck of the manufacturing draw*, the hardware I purchased (from the Official TP-Link "Store" on Amazon) is no longer supported. (With no indication there were multiple versions and I was getting the underpowered/deprecated/shortened life one.)

The (potential/likely) OpenWRT support was merely an additional reason I went with TP-Link Omada, after having a very positive experience using it on earlier TP-Link hardware, 
as a way to lengthen the use of the hardware when needed. I researched it quite well on that front.

And yes, anyone that flashes 3rd party does so at own risk, and if someone bricks their stuff with it and tries an RMA, it should be refused. Duh, of course - but that's really not relevant to anything I was talking about. (And you might re-consider being antagonistic to the very folks that a large portion of your product was built upon.)

Which part if you can point it out for me? I am stating the facts and it hurts which you may find it insulting?

I am not going to lie to you or hide the truth from you which does nothing good to you and keeps you with false hope that V1 might still get updated.

Most of our models are not OpenWRT compatible because the chipset does not support it. ER605 is marked as EOL and will not receive new features and also because of the limited hardware resources on V1. (Where you might find third-party software is possible to be installed on the ER605 V1 and still get many features. But that'll miss out on the Omada features.)

ER605 V1 was offered a limited lifetime warranty and if the RMA goes well, you get a V2 replacement which you can get new firmware from V2. But by the rule of RMA, you should get the same hardware replacement most of the time if V1 is still in stock.

And there were some good models back in time. But I gotta say things happen.

I know that ER605 got an OWRT on GitHub and there is a full guide to flash it to the OWRT. I am also stating the facts to others who might read this and take their own risks.

Lastly, if you find it insulting, I might shut my mouth. I don't wanna keep you guys in the false hope but persuade you to move on. It's painful truth (and we have reported this to the dev but V1 is limited to having new features due to the same reason.) That's beyond my job as the support guy. So, hope there will be a new firmware for the ER605 and they can optimize the codes.

Apology if you felt insulted.

Options
2024-01-15 06:30:49

@Clive_A - I'll do this one reply here in public, can move to DMs if needed.

All I originally asked for was status, if there was a timeline/roadmap for expected support and features. Once informed of the end of support, I expressed my disappointment that a "stealth" hardware upgrade semi-randomly means I'm probably going to have to move to new hardware sooner than anticipated.

After that initial useful reply:

1 - You implied that I didn't understand how 3rd party firmware, support and warranties work.
2 - You insinuated that I might try and improperly RMA hardware.
3 - You flat out stated that I didn't research "enough" and blamed me for not magically knowing TPLinks manufacturing specifics.
4 - Otherwise replied like I had some unreasonable expectation.

You never acknowledged my issue*, but ignored it. Instead for some reason you fixated on OpenWRT, which was originally only mentioned in passing/as background info (go read it: >bought a second one as a cold spare/possibly for OpenWRT conversion), and that possibility was only a secondary/tertiary factor in giving the Omada ecosystem a try.  Someone else brought it up again, and I replied to that. 

*Again, this isn't a "Oh, the Model 101 doesn't do what you need, you should have bought a model 201, sorry" situation. This is a "You bought the model 101 but oops, the 101 was underpowered we made a 102 but call it the 101v2,  "random" chance which one you'll get with no warning or reasonable way you have any idea there's any differences. Sucks to be you but we'll blame you for it somehow." situation.

Options
2024-01-15 07:13:31

@YATechMonkey 

YATechMonkey wrote

@Clive_A - I'll do this one reply here in public, can move to DMs if needed.

All I originally asked for was status, if there was a timeline/roadmap for expected support and features. Once informed of the end of support, I expressed my disappointment that a "stealth" hardware upgrade semi-randomly means I'm probably going to have to move to new hardware sooner than anticipated.

After that initial useful reply:

1 - You implied that I didn't understand how 3rd party firmware, support and warranties work.
2 - You insinuated that I might try and improperly RMA hardware.
3 - You flat out stated that I didn't research "enough" and blamed me for not magically knowing TPLinks manufacturing specifics.
4 - Otherwise replied like I had some unreasonable expectation.

You never acknowledged my issue*, but ignored it. Instead for some reason you fixated on OpenWRT, which was originally only mentioned in passing/as background info (go read it: >bought a second one as a cold spare/possibly for OpenWRT conversion), and that possibility was only a secondary/tertiary factor in giving the Omada ecosystem a try.  Someone else brought it up again, and I replied to that. 

*Again, this isn't a "Oh, the Model 101 doesn't do what you need, you should have bought a model 201, sorry" situation. This is a "You bought the model 101 but oops, the 101 was underpowered we made a 102 but call it the 101v2,  "random" chance which one you'll get with no warning or reasonable way you have any idea there's any differences. Sucks to be you but we'll blame you for it somehow." situation.

So, like you do, I am also NOT gonna respond to anything about the V1 which I have reported in my stat report to the management. It is a never-ending back-and-forth reply and persuasion that cannot shake the decision.

I have explained the fact that V1 is not possible to be updated because of the hardware limits which I have explained many times on many threads.

Arguing on this does not shake the fact that's the team's final decision SO FAR. We, not only the technical support team, but the forum team as well, have explained this with the same reason. It is the information we got from the team and I don't wanna be a robot to copy and paste the template to respond to you guys.

As for what you accused me of, I am warning others about the third-party software. I am not insulting you to replace it while it remains functional but that would be a way out to get you to move on. So does the EOL article say. You can totally stay integral and ignore my approaches which are immoral for you. And I have apologized for that.

If you search the home models, there are many hardware versions on a single model. Same thing for the network switch.

I remember that I told you guys, if you are a frequent visitor to the forum, the EOL date of the V1, which is about 2 years ago. 24 months ago. (This is some kind of information you would not get unless you are an employee.)

Months later, we removed the V1 from Amazon and recommended anyone who got the V1 from Amazon at that period to return and place a new order to get the new versions. And we also contacted Amazon to clear the stock of the V1.

About what you said in the last, unless the datasheet writes the hardware specs, we will not tell customers the models/chipset or anything that specific.

Just one last try, so, why not tell me when did you get the V1? I can search the inbox and look for the removal of V1 from Amazon.

If you got it way before the removal from the inventory, while it is still for sale and no EOL warns, that time it still gets the updates like a continued product, I don't think there is anything else we should be discussing as I have stated it is EOL and hardware limit thing. You don't wanna admit the facts and hear what I say, but it is already reaching its limit as an Omada-integrated product. (Excluding the open source which may greatly shrink its system size.)

If you got it at the time around the removal and still got it after the full EOL, to fix it, get a V2 from the support team like the EOL article said. If it is not moral, I am sorry that I am out of solutions for you now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1004

Replies: 14

Related Articles