Can not connect to OPENVPN server after 10 client is on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-25 11:55:43 - last edited 2023-10-31 08:25:00
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: newest

We setup the router as a vpn server for openvpn and L2TP vpn. 

L2TP works, but unstable. Connectioins brokes within 10 minutes. There are only a few user can use it without brokening. 

OpenVPN is stable, but after the openvpn connection reach 10 we can not connect more users to the router via openvpn, just if someone disconnect from the server. 

The device controlled by omada cloud controller. In the documentation we find that this router can accept 100 OpenVPN tunnels. 

What couse this problem? 

OpenVPN Config is the following:

Client To Site

Account Password: enable

Tunnel mode: split

Protocol: UDP

Port: 1194

WAN: WAN4/LAN4  /this is the only one port which has internet connection/

LAN: LAN (we have only one lan segment)

IP Pool: 10.0.8.1/24

Primary DNS: 192.168.10.254 /this is the lan ip of the router/

We create the users credentials for OpenVPN server. 

we have a dyndns attach to WAN/LAN4

Thats all.

We can only create 10 openvpn connection to the server. What should have we do?

Thanks for your help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can not connect to OPENVPN server after 10 client is on-Solution
2023-10-26 03:14:25 - last edited 2023-10-31 08:25:00

Hi @Sancho79 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

About the L2TP VPN, I think you should troubleshoot the devices that have unstable connections. If other devices can connect well, only a few don't, that could be the network environment of these devices.

Got a confirmation from the senior engineer that this is normal. As the OVPN server, one WAN can only support up to 10 OVPN clients concurrent connection.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can not connect to OPENVPN server after 10 client is on-Solution
2023-10-26 03:14:25 - last edited 2023-10-31 08:25:00

Hi @Sancho79 

About the L2TP VPN, I think you should troubleshoot the devices that have unstable connections. If other devices can connect well, only a few don't, that could be the network environment of these devices.

Got a confirmation from the senior engineer that this is normal. As the OVPN server, one WAN can only support up to 10 OVPN clients concurrent connection.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can not connect to OPENVPN server after 10 client is on
2023-10-26 10:44:04

@Clive_A 

Thanks for your quick replay.

It's a funny thing that there is VPN router with capacity of 110 OpenVPN tunnel at the same time, and If I would like to connect 110 vpn user I have to connect 10 wan connection to the router. And after that where can I put the lan segments :)

Another thing: there isnt any reference for this limitation in the router's users guide. 

But ok, now I share my today's experience for those who have the same problem, I found a solution which works so here it is.

SOLUTION 

STEP 1. Create an OPEN VPN SERVER with settings what you want to udp 1194 port. Create 10 users, and assaign to that.

STEP 2. Create another OPEN VPN SERVER to UDP 1195. Be sure to change the ip address pool for the remote users. Create another 10 users, and assaign to that.

Repeat steps till you cover all your desired vpn client. Attention to increase the port number in every step. 1194, 95,96....and so on.

Suggestion for IP pool: 

I name the VPN servers as follow: OPEN VPN 1194/20. For that I use the following pool: 192.168.20.1/24

And than OPEN VPN 1195/30 -> 192.168.30.1/24

And so on...

It works for us with 34 users, and we have only 1 internet connection. (600/30 Mbit)

Interesting thing for L2TP: 

Users with unstable l2tp connection can connect to openvpn without any issue, and the connection is perfect. They use the openvpn about 4 hours without any brake. When we try it again to L2TP it's unstable. It's not a problem now, because we use openvpn. But I thinks there are some bugs in the router. 

Another interesting thing for PPTP :)

We setup server for PPTP, but we can not connect to it. When we try it, the process reach for that point when check username and password, and it stucked.

After we restart the router, we can connect. But 1 days later the problem come again, and can not connect. 

So my conclusion is: FORGET L2TP, and PPTP, use OPENVPN. And follow the instructions I mentioned.

Options
Re:Can not connect to OPENVPN server after 10 client is on
2023-10-27 02:49:01

Hi @Sancho79 

PPTP is outdated. And no longer considered as secure. We don't really recommend it. In case you ask why it is still there, the answer is that PPTP still exists on Windows OS.

L2TP thing, does this issue happen while you are using the OVPN at the same time? I mean simultaneously hosting the VPN servers of both types and having clients connected to them, L2TP would experience an unstable issue? Do you use default UDP for OVPN?

Can you reproduce this issue every time? There is a pattern in which you get a disconnection while hosting both OVPN and L2TP, you got a disconnection if a client is connected to the L2TP, for 10 minutes or so, it got disconnected. Repeatedly. It always fails at 10 minutes?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 351

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles