Policy routing issue???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Policy routing issue???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Policy routing issue???
Policy routing issue???
2023-10-27 22:21:13 - last edited 2023-10-30 01:56:40
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest

Has anyone tried policy routing? I can't seem to still make it fail-over to the other WAN when the selected WAN is down.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Policy routing issue???
2023-10-30 02:04:19

Hi @ceejaybassist 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

ceejaybassist wrote

Has anyone tried policy routing? I can't seem to still make it fail-over to the other WAN when the selected WAN is down.

Please share your test methodology and configuration. Controller version, model version and firmware.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-30 08:17:41 - last edited 2023-10-30 08:21:12

@Clive_A 

Controller: OC200 v1 5.12.9

Gateway: ER605 v2 2.2.2

Use Case: I want to separate browsing and gaming. WAN1 to be for browsing/downloading/streaming, and WAN2 only for gaming.

Here are my configurations:

I've unchecked the "Use the WAN port if the current one is down" because of this issue.

Options
2023-10-30 09:08:37

Hi @ceejaybassist 

If you set the WAN/LAN1 as the backup WAN, it is offline while primary is up.

Then the Policy Routing become useless in this situation.

Policy Routing concept is correct. To do what you want, you need at least two entries. But you should not set the failover.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-30 09:14:22

Clive_A wrote

Hi @ceejaybassist 

Policy Routing concept is correct. To do what you want, you need at least two entries. But you should not set the failover.

@Clive_A How to correctly configure it then? Should I duplicate the same rule but select the other WAN?

Options
2023-10-30 09:16:12

Hi @ceejaybassist 

ceejaybassist wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @ceejaybassist 

@Clive_A How to correctly configure it then? Should I duplicate the same rule but select the other WAN?

You don't configure failover. Just configure two Policy Routing based on your need. That's it. You need to specify the services like TCP or UDP and other for different purposes.

Options
2023-10-30 09:26:17

@Clive_A 

So should I disable the fail-over in here, then, and let the policy routing handle the fail-over?

Options
2023-10-30 09:30:17

Hi @ceejaybassist

ceejaybassist wrote

@Clive_A 

So should I disable the fail-over in here, then, and let the policy routing handle the fail-over?

Yes.

Options
2023-10-30 09:39:23

@Clive_A 

It's very hassle though coz I should configure manually one-by-one all the rules I want.

Options
2023-10-30 09:49:45 - last edited 2023-10-30 09:50:41

Hi @ceejaybassist 

But this is what you need.. I don't think it is too complicated to configure. If you don't believe this is the correct way, you can search this situation on other brands and see how they get this done.

Basically, you need to create the rules based on what you need. There is no shortcut as far as I can tell.

Options
2023-10-30 09:53:32

@Clive_A What will happen then to those I don't configure in Policy routing? Let's say, I configured only one rule, for ports 443 and 80 to be routed to WAN1, and fail-over to WAN2 if WAN1 is down. What will happen then to the others outside this rule if I don't configure them in policy routing?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 10

Related Articles