ER605 v2.0 fw 2.2.2 Wire guard peer - can't select interface to create peer (solved; not fw issue)

ER605 v2.0 fw 2.2.2 Wire guard peer - can't select interface to create peer (solved; not fw issue)

2023-11-02 18:01:45 - last edited 2023-11-17 13:30:55
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2

I've just upgraded to fw v2.2.2 from 2.0.1.

Attempting to create a Wireguard VPN Peer, the first field is requesting the "Interface".  The field is greyed out and the interface can't be selected or entered.  I'm currently just using a single WAN interface on the router.

Without being able to provide the interface here, trying to create the client with "OK" fails with a "Please select an item" pop-up pointing to the Interface field.  Tried this in two different browsers and same thing occured.

I haven't tried this before, so don't know if it worked in the earlier firmware.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 v2.0 fw 2.2.2 Wire guard peer - can't select interface to create peer-Solution
2023-11-08 21:02:16 - last edited 2023-11-17 13:30:08

@Clive_A Thanks for the reply.  In my situation I'm trying to set up a site-to-site Wireguard VPN between two ER605 controllers.  Ideally without using the Omada Controller software.

I was able to figure out the source of my problem (confusion) and it of course isn't a firmware bug.  Adding what I realized here to hopefully benefit others.

On the VPN > WireGuard there are two tabs.

> Wireguard and > Peers

On the > Wireguard tab, you have to +Add and specify a "Name:" that will identify the wireguard interface you're creating along with related parameters.  After this is set up, you can proceed to the > Peer tab, do +Add, and the "Interface"  for the peer can be selected from interfaces created on the > Wireguard tab.

I was trying to create a peer prior to creating the interface, and mistakenly thought "Interface" refered to a WAN interface.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:ER605 v2.0 fw 2.2.2 Wire guard peer - can't select interface to create peer
2023-11-03 02:15:37

Hi @onemorecable 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Please refer to the Configuration Guide How to Configure WireGuard VPN on Omada Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:ER605 v2.0 fw 2.2.2 Wire guard peer - can't select interface to create peer-Solution
2023-11-08 21:02:16 - last edited 2023-11-17 13:30:08

@Clive_A Thanks for the reply.  In my situation I'm trying to set up a site-to-site Wireguard VPN between two ER605 controllers.  Ideally without using the Omada Controller software.

I was able to figure out the source of my problem (confusion) and it of course isn't a firmware bug.  Adding what I realized here to hopefully benefit others.

> Wireguard and > Peers

On the > Wireguard tab, you have to +Add and specify a "Name:" that will identify the wireguard interface you're creating along with related parameters.  After this is set up, you can proceed to the > Peer tab, do +Add, and the "Interface"  for the peer can be selected from interfaces created on the > Wireguard tab.

I was trying to create a peer prior to creating the interface, and mistakenly thought "Interface" refered to a WAN interface.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-09 00:56:07

Hi @onemorecable 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

onemorecable wrote

> Wireguard and > Peers

Not sure what the other site looks like. WG contains the Interface and the Peer. TBH, all VPNs contain this Interface which represents the VPN interface. There is actually no site-to-site in WG where WG changes them into peers. If you want to route the traffic, you need to set the Allowed IP.

This is one of the big confusion for most people. I think you should refer to the WG official guide more then you get a clue about what's going on in WG on Omada. It actually simplifies a lot and makes it easier.

We don't have a standalone guide for WG but the controller version is good enough to illustrate the steps. Steps are the same in either standalone or controller mode. Set up the interface and configure the Peer.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-09 11:31:44

@Clive_A  Thanks for the reply.  I was also able to find this in the forums showing how to set up a site-to-site bi-directional wireguard VPN.  It's using the Controller software too, but it's also basically a direct recipe for what needs to be done in the two ER605 Web interfaces to implement this.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/620506

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 289

Replies: 4

Related Articles