Level 3 Inter VLAN traffic without gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-08 13:39:43
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.12.7

Using Omada SDN running on my NAS, I have many VLANs defined on a SG3428XMP and using a ER7206 gateway. For this discussion, let's assume I have VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 on the level 3 capable switch.

I noticed all traffic across VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 are routed through the gateway. Is there a way to enable traffic across VLANs from within the switch without the penalty of going to and back the gateway ?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Level 3 Inter VLAN traffic without gateway
2023-11-08 18:22:53

@lslmtl 

I'm  a bit confused about where you are going here.  The point of VLAN's is to separate user traffic, the point of a router is to intelligently forward packets between domains (ie VLANs or subnets).  So, why would you create VLAN10 and VLAN20 if you wanted them to be able to talk to each other in the first place?  In most situations, it's the exception that needs to talk across VLANs not the rule, and so the router penalty for forwarding is minimal.

Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-08 19:32:04

@lslmtl 

I don’t think that it can be “enabled” in the Omada Controller. To my knowledge, the controller does not support such a configuration in its current form. However, your hardware can be configured that way. I’m just not sure if your switch comes with a DHCP server, but you may be able to set up one on your NAS.

Kris K
Options
2023-11-08 20:08:19 - last edited 2023-11-08 20:09:41

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for your interest. I segregated my network in VLANs to limit broadcast and enable different ACLs. But I am surprised that all traffic (except from within the same VLAN) seems to be routed through the gateway.

For example, I have a NAS on VLAN 10. I have a Plex server on VLAN 20. Both on the same physical switch. When the Plex server processes a movie from the LAN, the traffic goes from VLAN 10 up to the gateway, then down to VLAN 20. I would assume that a level 3 switch would be smart enough to route the traffic directly across both (unless denied by ACL), and avoid the detour through the gateway.

I am mistaken ?

Options
2023-11-08 20:10:47

@lslmtl 

Yes and No.

No, if you are expecting the OMada controller to figure that out.

Yes, if you manually configure the L2/L3 switch on its own as KJK suggested above.

Options
2023-11-08 20:14:38 - last edited 2023-11-08 20:14:56

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks. Since I don't want to take the devices out of Omada Control, I presume my only solution would be to apply a CLI script. Unfortunately that is beyond my know how :-(

Options
2023-11-08 20:17:00
It's worse, there's a pretty good chance your CLI gets overwritten anytime you make a minor change elsewhere on the switch. In the meantime, couldn't you just add a second ethernet port on your NAS to the second VLAN with the Plex, and tell the Plex to use that IP instead?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 611

Replies: 6

Related Articles