WAN Drops Every Hour Exactly

2023-11-19 01:36:17 - last edited 2023-11-20 01:11:31
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hi all!

I've been having an issue with my ER7206 dropping internet for about 10 seconds once an hour. It happens one hour apart exactly.

Topology is Nokia ONT to ER7206 to SG2428P to 2 EAP660HDs.

I've done a bit of research and my DHCP lease from my ISP is 2 hours. The internet drops at exactly the half-life of the lease. I did a packet capture and at the half-life, my gateway requests to extend the lease. The DHCP server sends an acknowledgment, then my gateway declines the ACK. At that point, the gateway sends a discovery request to the DHCP server and the DHCP server offers a new IP address. The gateway accepts the new IP address and that's when my internet drops.

I'm not sure if this is a known issue or not. I'd love some insight. Is there a setting I should change?

Thanks!

Options
22 Reply
Re:WAN Drops Every Hour Exactly
2023-11-20 01:16:24 - last edited 2023-11-20 02:58:19

Hi @esiedlecki 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Don't get any better suggestions for this. I'd recommend you check the parameters on the WAN or the modem you have.

This is a WAN side disconnection. Rejecting the ACK is not usual. It might be a problem with the WAN side DHCP server so ER7206 rejects it. I am thinking the duplicated IP address.

So, if you want me to offer more insights, you should let me know if your WAN IP(DHCP range) and LAN are duplicates. If they duplicate, that might cause trouble. I'd like to know your WAN range. (No need to be specific, but I need to know the range). Your LAN DHCP range.

And your Wireshark results with mosaic if necessary.

Update:

I am suspicious that if your ISP is leasing 2 hours every time, why would it send an ACK to the router in an hour?

Supposedly, the router has not reached its lease time, so it would not discover again. I don't think the router will discover until your DHCP server is erroneous. Would love to see the Wireshark. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-20 03:56:21

@Clive_A 

I went ahead and sent you a message (I think - it had me sign in when I hit send, so not sure if it went through or not) containing a link to the packet capture. Thanks for offering to take a look. Let me know if that message didn't actually go through and I'll shoot you the link.

Options
2023-11-20 06:32:10

Hi @esiedlecki 

You can post the screenshot that has been filtered with DHCP. I don't receive DM. Please post it here publicly.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-20 15:58:41

@Clive_A 

Here are some screenshots of the Request, ACK and Decline packets. Let me know if you need any more screenshots.

Options
2023-11-21 01:37:50

Hi @esiedlecki 

esiedlecki wrote

@Clive_A 

Here are some screenshots of the Request, ACK and Decline packets. Let me know if you need any more screenshots.

It seems to be the ISP.

A normal result would show like this.

When the decline happens, it is usually the router that detects the IP conflicts. So this IP has existed in the WAN already.

(1) Decline often occurs when different network ports of the same host are on the same network segment.

(2) Different network ports of the same host are in different network segments. If the gateway hardware addresses of different network ports are the same (arp -n), Decline will also occur.

So it seems to be your setup. Or ISP/modem issue. Have you reached out your ISP and confirmed this yet?

Options
2023-11-21 16:15:45

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the info! Interestingly enough, the issue started happening after my ISP had a planned outage. I'm not sure what changes were made during the outage. I've asked them if they could provide that information, but haven't heard back yet. I've trolled these forums for more information, and it seems like I'm not the only one who experiences this issue with this kind of setup. Here's another user with a Nokia ONT and ER7206 that has the same issue. It looks like that same user posted the issue on Reddit as well. You can see that post here for more info. The strange thing for me is that I was not having the issue until my ISP had the planned outage. I'll update here when I hear back from my ISP about what changed during the outage.

Options
2023-11-22 01:18:22

Hi @esiedlecki 

esiedlecki wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the info! Interestingly enough, the issue started happening after my ISP had a planned outage. I'm not sure what changes were made during the outage. I've asked them if they could provide that information, but haven't heard back yet. I've trolled these forums for more information, and it seems like I'm not the only one who experiences this issue with this kind of setup. Here's another user with a Nokia ONT and ER7206 that has the same issue. It looks like that same user posted the issue on Reddit as well. You can see that post here for more info. The strange thing for me is that I was not having the issue until my ISP had the planned outage. I'll update here when I hear back from my ISP about what changed during the outage.

This is a network device, except for the common issues like disconnection, there would not be too many other aspects. So, if you search wireless disconnection in the EAP, you would see a ton of threads but most people are not familiar with the WIFI stuff. You cannot conclude that this is the issue with the device. 

There are tons of calls and emails every day and threads on the forum, this issue does not happen to others, or even if it happens but remains unnoticed by most people.

I looked at what the OP said in that Reddit and I also noticed that OP said he later on uses it well without any issues. So my assumption would be the ISP issue. Even if it is DHCP, it should not lease every hour and DHCP decline is not a case like the thread you posted.

So if you have a backup router, replace it with the backup one and monitor if this still persists. If persists, it is your ISP. At least let's be dialectic. And I am curious about the response from the ISP. Why would it refresh every hour and DHCP declines, it means something wrong. Usually, DHCP would be 2 hours at least.

Options
2023-11-22 01:32:14

@Clive_A 

I really appreciate your response and help with this weird issue. Sorry if I've come across as snarky - genuinely not meaning to be! Regarding the response from my ISP, they've acually asked me to do the same thing you've suggested - try connecting my fiber ONT to a different device and monitor behavior. I have an Intel NUC in my network rack that I use for various tasks. I went ahead and plugged that directly into the ONT and can confirm that the network does not drop at the one hour mark. I also want to clarify that the DHCP lease is indeed for 2 hours. The behavior seems to be that my ER7206 reaches out at the halfway mark of the lease (one hour in) to try to extend the lease. At that point, my ISP's DHCP server send the ACK, and my ER7206 declines.

Regarding the threads I shared - it seems like that user's ISP was able to extend the length of the DHCP to 48 hours, which in theory would only have their internet dropping every 24 hours. Not sure if that's the case or not.

As you may have guess from my posts - this kind of network issue is a bit out of my knowledge level. I am a bit curious though - my ONT operates in IP Passthrough mode, meaning the ER7206 is being associated with my public IP. Could that have something to do with the issue? Perhaps my ER7206 sees that it's public IP address is also associated with the ONT, causing it to assume there's an IP conflict. Just spitballing.

Thanks again for your help on this issue.

Options
2023-11-22 01:45:02 - last edited 2023-11-22 01:45:44

Hi @esiedlecki 

esiedlecki wrote

@Clive_A 

I really appreciate your response and help with this weird issue. Sorry if I've come across as snarky - genuinely not meaning to be! Regarding the response from my ISP, they've acually asked me to do the same thing you've suggested - try connecting my fiber ONT to a different device and monitor behavior. I have an Intel NUC in my network rack that I use for various tasks. I went ahead and plugged that directly into the ONT and can confirm that the network does not drop at the one hour mark. I also want to clarify that the DHCP lease is indeed for 2 hours. The behavior seems to be that my ER7206 reaches out at the halfway mark of the lease (one hour in) to try to extend the lease. At that point, my ISP's DHCP server send the ACK, and my ER7206 declines.

Regarding the threads I shared - it seems like that user's ISP was able to extend the length of the DHCP to 48 hours, which in theory would only have their internet dropping every 24 hours. Not sure if that's the case or not.

As you may have guess from my posts - this kind of network issue is a bit out of my knowledge level. I am a bit curious though - my ONT operates in IP Passthrough mode, meaning the ER7206 is being associated with my public IP. Could that have something to do with the issue? Perhaps my ER7206 sees that it's public IP address is also associated with the ONT, causing it to assume there's an IP conflict. Just spitballing.

Thanks again for your help on this issue.

I was a little bit confused when I saw your Wireshark result. Because it shows something I think is unusual.

Why would the Request sent to this IP address?

Do you recognize this MAC address? Ericsson with that MAC address? Is it the modem?

But take a look at your DHCP discover packet, it is coming from the 174.1 which is the ISP gateway indeed. This should be the IP your router interacts with. Because your WAN IP is coming from the ISP 174.1 subnet.

Options
2023-11-22 01:57:35

@Clive_A 

My understanding (which could absolutely be wrong) is that the IP address indicated (216.115.0.108) is the DHCP server, and that 66.178.174.1 is the gateway. I will confirm with my ISP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1124

Replies: 22

Related Articles