How to set up VPN Tunnel to DDNS endpoint

2023-11-27 20:17:21
Tags: #VPN #DDNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have 2 ER605 routers in stand alone mode and I have up a static tunnel between two locations with WireShark. The problem is that one endpoint is a cable modem which can have its IP address changed randomly by the cable company. I delt with this with previous hardware by setting up a DDNS address for the cable router (which I have also done with the ER605). The Wireshark setup does not allow me to enter a DNS address for the endpoint, only an IP address. Is there a way to handle this? Will any of the other protocols allow an endpoint to be a DNS name rather than an IP address?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to set up VPN Tunnel to DDNS endpoint
2023-11-28 02:22:07

Hi @GFilups 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

IPsec allows you to set the Remote Gateway as the domain name. Use the IPsec then. Put the DDNS domain here.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-30 22:38:51
Thank you, I'll try that. I was hoping to use Wireguard since it is supposed to be faster.
Options
2023-12-01 01:31:07

Hi @GFilups 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

GFilups wrote

Thank you, I'll try that. I was hoping to use Wireguard since it is supposed to be faster.

WG and OVPN have not added the support so far.

Based on my knowledge about the WG, it seems that WG requires additional tools to refresh the DDNS if you put it in the interface. WG will only resolve the domain at the first connection and will not periodically refresh the domain after its establishment. Not sure if WG official fixed this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 233

Replies: 3

Tags

VPN
DDNS
Related Articles