TL R605 Omada, I have 2 ISP on Wan 1 and Wan 2. Trying to make Spotify and browser use Wan 1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL R605 Omada, I have 2 ISP on Wan 1 and Wan 2. Trying to make Spotify and browser use Wan 1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-30 19:19:42 - last edited 2023-12-01 01:32:33
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V2_2.1.1 Build 20230115

As the title says, I'm trying to split the connections on my PC, so that specific apps use Wan1 while others Wan2.

To simplify the request: I want the browser and/or Spotify would use the backup bandwidth as a main internet source.

My gaming ISP has a very low bandwidth (3g LTE) while I use Starlink for youtube, etc. Starlink isn't stable enough ping-wise so I can't use it for gaming.

Therefore I need to split all the heavy on bandwidth apps/browser and my gaming apps.

If I don't and I try to open the browser while I game, the ping goes from 20-35 to 180-300, therefore this makes it impossible to use the same bandwidth for both.

This is also the only reason I have purchased this TL Omada R605.

->
What I managed to do so far is to set up load balancing and switc between Wan 1 and Wan 2 for main and backup.

From what I've read so far, you need to somehow add IP addresses somwhere, and make rules for which app uses which connection.

How do you make a browser use a specific connection then? Since every webpage has its own ip.

Most likely I would have to add a rule for the games I'm playing. But for that I need to figure out the server's IP addresses, as I'm sure there are multiple, and I'm afraid to not get myself banned for VPNing.

League of Legends would be a game of interest which I'd want to run through the 3g network.

Options
6 Reply
Re:TL R605 Omada, I have 2 ISP on Wan 1 and Wan 2. Trying to make Spotify and browser use Wan 1
2023-12-01 02:04:26

Hi @MrFluffington 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you want to specify the traffic, you should use Policy Routing.

How to configure Policy Routing on Dual WAN Router using the new GUI

Load balancing is using a predefined algorithm to balance the traffic. Most of the time randomly your IP may jump from one to another. So, in your description, the best suitable solution would be Policy Routing.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:TL R605 Omada, I have 2 ISP on Wan 1 and Wan 2. Trying to make Spotify and browser use Wan 1
2023-12-01 14:31:49 - last edited 2023-12-01 14:35:02

@Clive_A Thanks for your reply.
I did everything step by step, and the results are extremely weird.

So I have 2 ISPs. 

Vodafone (LTE 3g) with speeds up to 15-20Mbps (good ping 20-35 ms)
Starlink (satelite) with speeds up to 200-250Mbps. (bad ping 40-120 ms)

After making all the settings line by line as written in the guide, the results are the following:

My IP address shows as Starlink

But the speed and bandwidth used are from Vodafone.

So the speedtest shows Starlink's IP with a speed of 15-20Mbps (which for Starlink is impossible).

This is extremely weird, and not how it should work.

HTTP should use Starlink completely (IP and speed).

Other (non HTTP) apps should use Vodafone, if I understood this right.

As HTTP meaning everything I connect to through my browser should use Starlink (WAN1) and everything else (Spotify, my games, etc.) should use Vodafone for stable ping.

Options
2023-12-04 01:09:56

Hi @MrFluffington 

MrFluffington wrote

@Clive_A Thanks for your reply.
I did everything step by step, and the results are extremely weird.

So I have 2 ISPs. 

Vodafone (LTE 3g) with speeds up to 15-20Mbps (good ping 20-35 ms)
Starlink (satelite) with speeds up to 200-250Mbps. (bad ping 40-120 ms)

After making all the settings line by line as written in the guide, the results are the following:

My IP address shows as Starlink

But the speed and bandwidth used are from Vodafone.

So the speedtest shows Starlink's IP with a speed of 15-20Mbps (which for Starlink is impossible).

This is extremely weird, and not how it should work.

HTTP should use Starlink completely (IP and speed).

Other (non HTTP) apps should use Vodafone, if I understood this right.

As HTTP meaning everything I connect to through my browser should use Starlink (WAN1) and everything else (Spotify, my games, etc.) should use Vodafone for stable ping.

If you have set the PBR correctly, it should work as expected. When you do anything related to the IP test, you should clear the brower cache. The most basic technique in testing your IP address.

When you set the PBR, it will take effect and your existing cache can make the server incorrectly tell your IP address.

One of the most accurate ways to test this would be using the Wireshark. You can monitor your WAN traffic and see if there is any HTTP incorrectly forwarded.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

How to Use Port Mirror to Capture Packets in the Controller

BTW, you refer to HTTP, not HTTPS, most websites are not based on HTTPS. Is this a typo or did you literally set HTTP?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-04 16:29:08

@MrFluffington 

Not sure what you mean by that.
There's no "https" option in the policy routing dropdown menu.

There's only "HTTP" 
Which should route all the HTTP based connections to WAN/LAN1.

Or am I missing someting?

Attached an image of the dropdown menu.

File:
http123124124.PNGDownload
Options
2023-12-04 16:35:27 - last edited 2023-12-04 17:00:09

@MrFluffington 

Let me try to simplify this even further.

I'm trying to have everything HTTP/S use ISP2 (Wan/Lan1), while all other internet connection types use WAN.

This way I could play online games while listening to music on the browser, on youtube.

Something is wrong, but I don't know what.

EDITED/UPDATE: The problem is that I can't select HTTPS in the dropdown menu.

I attached the screenshot of the dropdown list in the previous reply. There is no HTTPS.

That might also be the problem here.

Any way to add HTTPS to the "Service Type:" menu at policy routing? 
I have the latest firmware version, but it doesn't seem to matter.

This is the full list of the items available to choose in the Service Type menu:
ALL
FTP
SSH
TELNET
SMTP
DNS
HTTP
POP3
SNTP
H323
ICMP_ALL

I also searched for the connection type used by the game to try and isolate that to the desired WAN, and that's missing from the list as well. (TCP and UDP)

Options
2023-12-07 00:58:12

Hi @MrFluffington 

MrFluffington wrote

@MrFluffington 

Let me try to simplify this even further.

I'm trying to have everything HTTP/S use ISP2 (Wan/Lan1), while all other internet connection types use WAN.

This way I could play online games while listening to music on the browser, on youtube.

Something is wrong, but I don't know what.

EDITED/UPDATE: The problem is that I can't select HTTPS in the dropdown menu.

I attached the screenshot of the dropdown list in the previous reply. There is no HTTPS.

That might also be the problem here.

Any way to add HTTPS to the "Service Type:" menu at policy routing? 
I have the latest firmware version, but it doesn't seem to matter.

This is the full list of the items available to choose in the Service Type menu:
ALL
FTP
SSH
TELNET
SMTP
DNS
HTTP
POP3
SNTP
H323
ICMP_ALL

I also searched for the connection type used by the game to try and isolate that to the desired WAN, and that's missing from the list as well. (TCP and UDP)

You can add your own service type when it is in standalone mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 444

Replies: 6

Related Articles