How to configure static route settings to access my bridged ISP modem?

2023-12-09 11:28:37
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

It may seem like this question is out of topic but...

Is there any way to access my ISP bridged modem using the static route settings?
How to properly configure it?
Since the ISP modem is in bridge mode, it has lost its routing capability and just acting as a modem.

Gateway of ISP modem: 10.0.0.1
Gateway of ER605v2 (managed by OC200): 192.168.10.1

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to configure static route settings to access my bridged ISP modem?
2023-12-09 18:48:08

@ceejaybassist 

You don’t need any static route for it. The 10.0.0.x network is a remote network for the 192.168.10.x network. Therefore, the default route in the 192.168.10.x network already takes care of routing to it.

Can you access Internet? Is 10.0.0.1 accessible when you connect directly to the ISP modem? If yes, maybe you have a firewall rule on ER605 blocking the private space addresses on WAN.

Kris K
Options
2023-12-11 03:48:12

Hi @ceejaybassist 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

NAT does not block outbound traffic unless you set something.

So 10.0.0.1 is open to the 192.168.10.0/24. It's on the WAN side and it can automatically route it to 10.0.0.1 if you access it.

Routing is more like a thing inside your LAN. So this does not pose a question.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-11 15:13:54 - last edited 2023-12-11 15:29:57

@ceejaybassist 

I don't know if what's been said above is true in your case.  Because you are in 'bridge mode' you most likely have a public IP assigned to the WAN i/f of the router.  Because 10.0.0.1 is a private IP address, it is not routable on the internet by definition, which means your router should not forward it via the WAN i/f (that would break some pretty big rules).

However, you can force a static route which should do what you need.  This is the method I used ot use to access the Starlink router interface.  So go ahead and add the Static Route for 10.0.0.1 via your WAN port, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Dest Subnet: 10.0.0.1/32

Route Type:  Interface

Interface:  WAN

Next Hop: 10.0.0.1

Metric: 10

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-12-11 16:57:10

I don’t think the ER605’s NATting itself cares if the destination address is private or public. It will do the routing and the default gateway should be good enough for it. But yes, 10.0.0.1 as a private address and the ISP most likely blocks it when the modem in the bridge mode is connected to their network.

Accessing the modem’s statistics/diagnostic interface, usually at 192.168.100.1, follows the same routing rules and the default gateway should be good enough for it as long as 192.168.100.x is not on the local network. It certainly worked for me. The only time I had to create an extra static rule for it is when I already had another static route that routed the whole 192.168.0.0/16 subnet to my routing switch (LAN).

Kris K
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 297

Replies: 4

Related Articles