High CPU usage all of a sudden, how do I diagnose this?

2023-12-13 18:06:50
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 Build 20231114 Rel.36220

I noticed lately that the CPU on my router has been going crazy and I can't connect it to any specific change that I made.  How do I diagnose this?

Options
11 Reply
Re:High CPU usage all of a sudden, how do I diagnose this?
2023-12-13 19:00:51

@mackworth 

Do you have any of the extra features enabled like IPS and or DPI?

0-18 and back down to 0, doesn't seem too crazy to me.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-12-13 19:21:00 - last edited 2023-12-13 19:22:05

@KimcheeGUN I have not turned on IPS/DPI and I don't even use anything fancy like VLANs.  It's just a mid size home network.  If you look at that photo, each data point is a day, so for some reason on December 1st, I went from averaging basically 3% CPU to Averaging 18%.  I don't know why its showing a dip yesterday, maybe just bad data.  If you look it in a different time scale, this is what the new normal looks like:

Options
2023-12-13 19:22:54

Options
2023-12-13 19:49:28

@mackworth 

What you tried to reboot the router and check the stats afterwards?

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-12-15 02:37:47

Hi @mackworth 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, the first surge was early than the V1.4.0. I ruled out the possibility that this relates to the firmware update.

You are mainly concerned about this part of the graph?

My guess:

Watching videos or continuous sessions might cause this. And 18% CPU usage is not high.

And it does not seem to be a problem to me, either. TBH, there is no way to identify it either. Looks like a normal fluctuation.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-15 14:44:24

@Clive_A 

Looking at the logs, the dip you see on December 11 was actually from a restart of the router.  So something on December 1 caused my CPU usage to spike up and stay up until I restarted the router.  Then it went up again.  So yesterday I restarted again and you can see the result:

Options
2024-01-01 16:38:17

@Clive_A Happened again. I notice that my internet starts acting weird.  Random slowdowns and stalls.

Options
2024-01-02 01:30:59

Hi @mackworth 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

mackworth wrote

@Clive_A Happened again. I notice that my internet starts acting weird.  Random slowdowns and stalls.

Stalls and slowdowns, you noticed these and you checked the graphs, and you found out the same issue you ran into last time?

If your answer is yes, give me your network diagram and prepare the logs and device info. Or maybe the backup. I'll check with the engineers and dev and see if we need to further analyze this.

In your log, do you find WAN down or other abnormal logs at that timestamp?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-02 09:42:38

@mackworth 

have you enabled IP Statistics by any chance ?  ( menu Status > Traffic Statistics > IP Statistics )

In my experience, enabling that gives a significantly increased CPU usage

Options
2024-01-02 14:09:05

@Clive_A Yes exactly.  You can see that after I restarted it yesterday, it returned to baseline.  I will DM you that information a little later.  Nothing abnormal in the logs around that time.  It looks like there was only some DHCP IP assignments.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 565

Replies: 11

Related Articles