What is the support peroid?

2023-12-17 04:06:08 - last edited 2023-12-22 07:27:32
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

One the best things about ubiquity gear is long term firmware support. I bought a few EAP V1, after very few firmware releases support was dropped entirely for newer revisions.

I took a chance on V3 EAPs and firmware support has been slow but at least has gotten a fair amount of releases. 

I will not take a chance on router, with business hardware support shouldn't be randomly dropped for newer hardware revisions, so I would like an official statement on how many years of firmware support will I get with ER707-M2 V1 or v1.6?

Looking at 605 hardware release vs firmware releases, long term firmware releases do not to promising.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:What is the support peroid?-Solution
2023-12-18 01:50:07 - last edited 2023-12-22 07:27:32

Hi @johnsnow88 

johnsnow88 wrote

One the best things about ubiquity gear is long term firmware support. I bought a few EAP V1, after very few firmware releases support was dropped entirely for newer revisions.

I took a chance on V3 EAPs and firmware support has been slow but at least has gotten a fair amount of releases. 

I will not take a chance on router, with business hardware support shouldn't be randomly dropped for newer hardware revisions, so I would like an official statement on how many years of firmware support will I get with ER707-M2 V1 or v1.6?

Looking at 605 hardware release vs firmware releases, long term firmware releases do not to promising.

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I looked through what's been discussed here.

So, ER605 V1 is EOL now. Search EOL on the official website and you can find a useful list of EOL products.

ER605 V1 was quickly discarded because of its hardware limit. Now even if our dev wanna add features to the ER605 V1, we cannot because it's running of out hardware resources. Revision ER605 V2 is modified based on the V1. ER7206 V1 was basically released at the same time as ER605 V1. Yet it enjoys a much longer lifespan.

Though ER7206 V2 is listed on our official website now. I don't find anyone reaching out to us for this model. I think it's been shipped.

My suggestion for you, you might wanna pick a model that has some powerful specs. Refer to the datasheet for more details. Experience-based suggestion and opinion.

Here's the bummmer, our official support or any official source would not guarantee a lifespan for a product.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
19 Reply
Re:What is the support peroid?
2023-12-17 05:50:36

@johnsnow88 

I don't think they have an official "mission statement" to provide updates for X amount of years post sales, but it looks to be about ~2 years.

you mentioned the 605v1, which was released around November 2020, and announced EOL a few months ago.

for a $59 device i don't think that this is entirely unfair, but the biggest issue is that v1 was still sold after v2 was announced (February of 2022)

this guy on Amazon apparently got a V1 in June 2022.. 

Options
2023-12-17 11:35:37

@johnsnow88 

it depend when you buy the devices, is it at the end of a cycle it may be EOL before you receive the product.
it also applies to unifi, I sold many USG-3P and USG-4-PRO to a chain store, they became EOL almost immediately. Luckily it was decided that they should replace all routers with Sonicwall so that we never had any questions from customers about that. :-)

ER605v2 and ER7206v1 are old routers that you should not buy, ER707-M2, ER706W, are newer models and should have support for a while

Options
2023-12-17 12:57:53

@MR.S 

Well how do you know a product is near EOL?

I haven't seen any official statements when a product is EOL or announcement of new one being released, i can guess based on the first firmware release.

Options
2023-12-17 13:01:39 - last edited 2023-12-17 13:03:40

@NinjaMonkey

yeah i can still buy the 605 on amazon, no idea what hardware version it is. Thanks for the 2 year mark at least that will help to see if i want to buy now or wait for new hardware.

Options
2023-12-17 13:11:26

@johnsnow88 

you don't know until it is. ER605v1 became EOL a few months ago. since. it came as a surprise to a lot of people, it was found from a well-hidden document on the TP-Link web, it was a list of EOL Products.
but now the ER605v2 and ER7206v1 are the oldest routers, the problem is that they are still sold, so if you e.g. want an ER7206v2 you can risk getting a v1 router, to be sure I'd rather buy a new model.
TP-Link products are a mess with version numbers on the same product and you never know what you will get.

Options
2023-12-17 14:35:45

johnsnow88 wrote

@NinjaMonkey

yeah i can still buy the 605 on amazon, no idea what hardware version it is. Thanks for the 2 year mark at least that will help to see if i want to buy now or wait for new hardware.

@johnsnow88 

Yeah the one on Amazon is a v2.6, which is still a v2 and was announced 688 days ago ( https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/527102 )

honestly I would wait for v3, or whatever new model will replace it.

Options
2023-12-17 20:20:55 - last edited 2023-12-17 20:21:12

@NinjaMonkey 

I'm mostly intrested in the 707 series do to the 2.5GB WAN ports

Options
Re:What is the support peroid?-Solution
2023-12-18 01:50:07 - last edited 2023-12-22 07:27:32

Hi @johnsnow88 

johnsnow88 wrote

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I looked through what's been discussed here.

So, ER605 V1 is EOL now. Search EOL on the official website and you can find a useful list of EOL products.

ER605 V1 was quickly discarded because of its hardware limit. Now even if our dev wanna add features to the ER605 V1, we cannot because it's running of out hardware resources. Revision ER605 V2 is modified based on the V1. ER7206 V1 was basically released at the same time as ER605 V1. Yet it enjoys a much longer lifespan.

Though ER7206 V2 is listed on our official website now. I don't find anyone reaching out to us for this model. I think it's been shipped.

My suggestion for you, you might wanna pick a model that has some powerful specs. Refer to the datasheet for more details. Experience-based suggestion and opinion.

Here's the bummmer, our official support or any official source would not guarantee a lifespan for a product.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-01 03:55:20

@Clive_A 

That disappointing that we don't get official support time frame, the fact tplink sold v1 of the 605 and quickly discontinued it do to hardware limitations is bad business. Anyone that bought that model got screwed very much like I got screwed by the v1 EAPs

Options
2024-01-01 11:33:01

@johnsnow88 

The fact that products become EOL is not so unusual, it applies to all suppliers, nothing lasts forever. but I don't quite understand that the ER605v1 is EOL due to poor performance at the same time as they come with an ER605W with extremely poor performance.. if you compare these, it is an ER605v1 with wifi.

in fact, the performance is worse on ER605W than the ER605v1

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 772

Replies: 19

Related Articles