Votes

Unrestrict the use of primary 10g WAN*only* port on the ER8411. Make it WAN/LAN please.

Votes

Unrestrict the use of primary 10g WAN*only* port on the ER8411. Make it WAN/LAN please.

2023-12-24 01:27:14 - last edited 2023-12-25 09:54:04
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: newest

Please let those of us with 1g or less Internet make better use of this ER8411 on our internal LANs.

Let us configure BOTH 10gbps ports as LAN (with full 802.3ad LACP features support to combine bandwidth)

and the 1gbps WAN/LAN port can be the WAN.

I wouldn't even mind if you made a ER8412 that swaps the 1gWAN/LAN and the 10gWAN ports giving us a 1gWAN*only* and 2x 10gWAN/LAN ports.

You can even take all the other 1g LAN*only* ports away if you need to as far as i'm concerned...

Either that or i have move all my inter-vlan routing w/ACLs to a fancier switch and reconfigure gw on everything to point at the switch instead of the FW... 

Course, if i did do that i'd only be buying a new sw and could keep my current 1g firewall...

hmm... I'll keep shopping for now...

Options
5 Reply
Re:Unrestrict the use of primary 10g WAN*only* port on the ER8411. Make it WAN/LAN please.
2023-12-25 03:54:35 - last edited 2023-12-25 03:56:33

Hi @Labrat44 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So if we make that change, there will be someone asking why the WAN port marked on the physical interface can be a LAN port when it does not match what displays on the physical interface?

(This is marked as WAN on the interface.)

Is this necessary? I don't think so. We gotta change the physical interface, we gotta make many materials to prove someone who's not an expert in this to ask where is the WAN port. We gotta send notifications to the users and let them know it is not a bug/glitch. We gotta let them know that this now can be a different port. And we also need to notify the 2B users that this device is not buggy. Too many aspects to consider.

Besides, do you consider the chipset in the device? Usually, their controller is different. What if the fixed WAN does not have the ability? (Assumption)

Get a customized NUC as your router instead, this does not seem to be suitable for your network.

I don't think I can help you with this because it is against the design. You might wanna change this to ask for a new model with X Y Z capability. Not a request on the current model and ask us to change it from the software.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Unrestrict the use of primary 10g WAN*only* port on the ER8411. Make it WAN/LAN please.
2023-12-25 09:39:42

@Clive_A 

I didn't make any assumptions, it's simply not my job to consider any of those issues.  You either make something i want and i buy it or you don't and i wont.

And i actually DID suggest you do it as a new model, even proposed the new model# be ER8412.

Options
2023-12-25 09:55:42

Hi @Labrat44 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Labrat44 wrote

@Clive_A 

I didn't make any assumptions, it's simply not my job to consider any of those issues.  You either make something i want and i buy it or you don't and i wont.

And i actually DID suggest you do it as a new model, even proposed the new model# be ER8412.

Hope there will be a 10G model so it can fill up the gap where we don't have a 10G model. That's gonna be really expensive I think. 10G controller(chipset) is not that cheap.

I will just bring up this as a 10G model instead of a modified version of ER8411. 5-port 10G model?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
RE:Unrestrict the use of primary 10g WAN*only* port on the ER8411. Make it WAN/LAN please.
2024-01-19 00:08:29
Vote
Options
a week ago

The "next" model that going to replace the 8411 should have at least 2x 10Gb ports for LAN... one being at least a 10GBase-T port.

Just look at your competitors they got 2x 25Gb ports

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 270

Replies: 5

Voters 1