open vpn ER8411
open vpn ER8411
2023-12-26 22:17:20 - last edited 2023-12-26 23:30:53
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230705

Hello 

I have already running the openvpn. The main reason I bought it was becasuse the openvpn that the commercial says : 1,665.64 Mbps. But the problem is that I can only get 35 at maximum 40 Mbps. I urgently need your help. My internet speed is 200Mbps. 

Regards

Options
7 Reply
Re:open vpn ER8411
2024-01-15 02:02:36

@Clive_A  can you help me please?

Options
2024-01-15 08:49:55

Hi @mgaray07 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So do you consider the upload speed in this situation? 10Gbps SFP does not mean you can get 10Gbps when your devices are in 1Gbps or 100Mb speed.

What about your upload speed? ISP always tells you that they sell you a 200Mbps plan but with limited upload speed. A real good Internet would be symmetric up and down. Upload would be very demanding.

Besides, is it UDP or TCP? TCP is slower than UDP.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-15 18:34:24 - last edited 2024-01-15 19:09:43

@mgaray07 

The ER8411 is a very good router for many things, but on OpenVPN it gets beaten. so don't have too high expectations for OpenVPN on ER8411, I have the same experience as you, about the same speed too.(about 20-30Mbps) so I've given up on OpenVPN and also Wireguard (works but is completely misdesigned). I have moved all these services to another router until it is fixed.

to be honest i don't think it will ever be fixed. TP-Link has not yet found out what the problem is or they don't want to find out.

so don't spend a lot of time trying to solve the problem, you can't solve it, I've been trying for over a year and finally gave up hope for a solution

OpenVPN is also outdated and not compatible with other modern OpenVPN servers and, like Wireguard, lacks the possibility of hostname in the server field when router is client.

in fact, the ER706W is twice as fast as the ER8411 when router is client to same OpenVPN server. how to explain that?

and router I use for OpenVPN and Wireguard now do 200Mbps on OpenVPN to same server and even same config file I use on ER8411. and on a weaker hardware than ER8411.

when copy a file in OpenVPN tunnel now is speed 223 Mbps so the bottleneck is not the server.

Options
2024-02-06 17:41:55

@Clive_A 

Hello. 

The internet speed is 200Mbps symetric. And in the another point (outside the company) I have 100Mbps. The problem is that the tunel is just working with 30 Mbps, and I bought this router because of the publicity that says I can use the vpn with higher speed. Obviously it woud be restricted to my ISP speed. 

Can you help me please?

Options
2024-02-06 17:45:17

@MR.S 

Which router do you recommed me? I need a router with faster vpn. I bought this one for that reason. But I am looking that it is not working as it shoud do it. Also I need load balacing and link backup.

regards

Options
2024-02-06 18:46:37

@mgaray07 

I do prety mutch same as you, my experience is also the same,slow very slow OpenVPN have never worked, and problably never will, I by mine in November 2022 and created a case on it but there have never been fixed so I have olso giving up that.

this router is a good replacment for you.

Unifi UDM-Pro or UXG-Pro

UDM-PRO has built-in controler and is cheaper and is better than the ER8411

UXG-Pro need controller and is more expensive.and also a bether chice than ER8411

Wireguard and OpenVPN is pretty much plug and play, IPsec is bether on ER8411 so I use both. :-)

But my best avice for you is a UDM-PRO from unifi. then you dont need a controller and its cheap. about 200MBps on OpenVPN and 400-500 Mbps on Wireguard.

Options
2024-02-10 02:55:13

Hi @mgaray07 

mgaray07 wrote

@Clive_A 

Hello. 

The internet speed is 200Mbps symetric. And in the another point (outside the company) I have 100Mbps. The problem is that the tunel is just working with 30 Mbps, and I bought this router because of the publicity that says I can use the vpn with higher speed. Obviously it woud be restricted to my ISP speed. 

Can you help me please?

100Mbps would be the cap here. What's the screenshot of your speed test? The unit?

What protocols do you use? UDP? Note that TCP would be way slower. You did not answer it.

What would be the iperf result? Result and screenshot.

I found an article about this. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/40099/why-openvpn-is-so-slow-cool-story#latest Not sure if it is helpful but seem to be a reason why it is slower.

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Gigabit_Networks_Linux

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 435

Replies: 7

Tags

Related Articles