Wireguard needs to be restarted on dynamic DNS IP change

2024-01-01 14:19:53 - last edited 2024-01-10 01:15:39
Tags: #VPN #Wireguard
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.3.3

Hello, I'm running ER605 v2 router at firmware 2.3.3, and I've noticed that the following steps do not work:

1. Enable Wireguard interface in Omada controller.

2. Router connection is dropped by ISP and reconnected to a new public WAN IP address

3. A WG peer attempts to connect to router at new public WAN IP address but it seems it's not listening.

However, if the WG interface in Omada is disabled and then re-enabled, the WG peer is immediately able to connect as expected at the new public WAN address.

It would seem as if the WG service in the router is not adapting to the new public WAN IP address, and might still be listening on the obsolete WAN IP address?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Wireguard needs to be restarted on dynamic DNS IP change-Solution
2024-01-09 09:09:09 - last edited 2024-01-10 01:15:39

Hi @watou 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

watou wrote

Hello, I'm running ER605 v2 router at firmware 2.3.3, and I've noticed that the following steps do not work:

2. Router connection is dropped by ISP and reconnected to a new public WAN IP address

3. A WG peer attempts to connect to router at new public WAN IP address but it seems it's not listening.

However, if the WG interface in Omada is disabled and then re-enabled, the WG peer is immediately able to connect as expected at the new public WAN address.

It would seem as if the WG service in the router is not adapting to the new public WAN IP address, and might still be listening on the obsolete WAN IP address?

Based on your description, our test team got back to me and said that they did not reproduce this issue. So, is your issue resolved?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-09 10:01:31 - last edited 2024-01-10 01:15:45

Hi  @Clive_A 

I do not know why this issue disappeared and is now working properly, consistent with the observations of your test team.  Some other cause must have required the Wireguard interface to be disabled and then re-enabled in order to work, because the mere changing of public WAN IP address does not now appear to be the issue.

Thank you for following up.

Kind regards,

watou

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireguard needs to be restarted on dynamic DNS IP change
2024-01-02 03:18:17

Hi @watou 

I remember that WG officials did not support renewing the IP address if it had been changed when I was learning the WG VPN.

Second, this re-enable is like the wg down and wg up which reboots the WG service so it can start to listen on the new port.

When the service is up, it does not change the WAN IP address or you may say sync the new IP because it can cause disconnection. The common practice would be down and up again.

I am not sure if this has been fixed by the WG official.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-09 09:09:09 - last edited 2024-01-10 01:15:39

Hi @watou 

watou wrote

Based on your description, our test team got back to me and said that they did not reproduce this issue. So, is your issue resolved?

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-09 10:01:31 - last edited 2024-01-10 01:15:45

Hi  @Clive_A 

I do not know why this issue disappeared and is now working properly, consistent with the observations of your test team.  Some other cause must have required the Wireguard interface to be disabled and then re-enabled in order to work, because the mere changing of public WAN IP address does not now appear to be the issue.

Thank you for following up.

Kind regards,

watou

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 267

Replies: 3

Tags

VPN
Wireguard