After updating to version 1.2, there is no SSH access.

2024-01-01 15:00:43
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231214 Rel.77035

Hi,

I updated my ER8411 to the latest version 1.2, and I lost SSH access.

The old password that I used to have access is no longer working.

I log in as follows:

ssh -o KexAlgorithms=diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1 root@192.168.10.1

Options
10 Reply
Re:After updating to version 1.2, there is no SSH access.
2024-01-03 14:34:24 - last edited 2024-01-03 14:34:33

?

Options
2024-01-03 16:59:32

@mati2762 

If you downgrade does your old password start working again?  I believe TPlink has modified recent code to change the not-so-secret password hash previously used for root access.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-03 17:13:15

I don't want to downgrade just to check if SSH is working. This is production device, not for home experimentation. TP-Link provided a manual on how to use SSH and their new CLI, but it lacks information on login. I've tried various usernames and passwords, but nothing works. I currently have access to the web interface, which is sufficient for now, but I don't like how subsequent updates introduce such significant changes that I lose access. The same happened with the 1.1.0 update; they could at least include such information in the changelog. 

Options
2024-01-03 18:32:09

@Clive_A HI Clive, here's one for your attention.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-04 01:33:23

Hi @d0ugmac1 

d0ugmac1 wrote

@Clive_A HI Clive, here's one for your attention.

Unfortunately, not my concern. I read this the second day he posted.

@mati2762 We never provide a guide to help you gain root access. And it is funny to read that we provided the manual to use SSH but lack of information on login. Yes, we let you know how to enter the SSH but but not instruct you to gain the root access. Where do we offer the guide to gain root?

If you find a way, good for you. We don't encourage you to share the way to gain the root on the forum. Most people are laymen and don't know how this might affect their devices. If you cannot enter, we don't offer any guidance or details about it. Good luck.

mati2762 wrote

I don't want to downgrade just to check if SSH is working. This is production device, not for home experimentation. TP-Link provided a manual on how to use SSH and their new CLI, but it lacks information on login. I've tried various usernames and passwords, but nothing works. I currently have access to the web interface, which is sufficient for now, but I don't like how subsequent updates introduce such significant changes that I lose access. The same happened with the 1.1.0 update; they could at least include such information in the changelog. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-04 20:43:18

@Clive_A 

It's interesting that since your first system version, accessing SSH could only be done this way. When it comes to SSH access, it doesn't have to be the root account; I just always logged in that way because there was no other option. Now, after your update, I'm trying to log in with the account that runs my web panel, but none of the passwords work. I also tried the admin account, but it's the same situation. My question is, since you have a manual on how to use your CLI, how do I get there?

Options
2024-01-05 01:23:16

Hi @mati2762 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

mati2762 wrote

@Clive_A 

It's interesting that since your first system version, accessing SSH could only be done this way. When it comes to SSH access, it doesn't have to be the root account; I just always logged in that way because there was no other option. Now, after your update, I'm trying to log in with the account that runs my web panel, but none of the passwords work. I also tried the admin account, but it's the same situation. My question is, since you have a manual on how to use your CLI, how do I get there?

The login username is admin, which is the same as you log in via the web. If you changed that, use the same username.

I don't know how you get to the point where you cannot log in. Might be the certificate thing on your Putty? But I just used SSH on ER8411 yesterday and it worked. Nothing wrong with it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-08 12:09:39

@Clive_A 

Is the password the same as for the Web panel (I mean the Standalone mode)?

Options
2024-01-09 01:51:56 - last edited 2024-01-09 01:52:40

Hi @mati2762 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

mati2762 wrote

@Clive_A 

Is the password the same as for the Web panel (I mean the Standalone mode)?

Yes. The username and password to log in to the web UI or standard SSH are the ones you created when you first log in or modified after the first login on the web interface.

Options
2024-01-10 16:26:23

@Clive_A 

It's not working, should I reset my password?

Options