Renews wan dhcp every two hours

2024-01-03 20:14:45 - last edited 2024-02-18 06:35:48
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

Since update to 1.2.0 the router keeps renewing wan dhcp address every two hours. interface goes down and all my wap's go bonkers

Options
3 Reply
Re:Renews wan dhcp every two hours
2024-01-04 06:12:18

Hi @Robbp12 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Who's your ISP? I remember that there is a Canadian ISP would give this issue when the lease time is over, your Internet would drop for a while.

Or you don't experience the drop but are worried about the log? It's been discussed here. Is it the same? https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/648928

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-05 21:29:22

It's not an ISP issue, I have two of them in a dual WAN.

with WAN1 ( Comcast) the ER8411 tries to renew the WAN DHCP address every two hours.

When it tries to do this it takes the wan1 port down and causes a failover to WAN 2 ( T-Mobile)

in the meantime the WAN 1 port comes back up and fails back over, which then starts a DHCP renewal on WAN 2 and takes that port down temporarily.

during all this the TP-Link waps all start going crazy and dropping clients, and the omada logs create entries faster than I can delete them. this whole thing happens almost every 2 hours.

I checked with Comcast, they don't require DHCP renewals every 2 hours, only time they do is when CPE drops the connection and even then 9 times out of 10 you get the same IP back.

I deleted the two WAN configuration and had Just TMobile connected as primary wan and it still did the renewal thing.

I disconnected the ER-8411 and reconnected my Sonicwall TZ-270 and have had 0 issues, no failovers or loss of internet. WAP's are all stable - especially my cameras connected to the wifi. no errors or events in the omada controller logs.

So, I'm leaving the Sonicwall in place, I have tried a few times with firmware releases to work with the ER-8411 and it just does not work right. I'm going to stick with Sonicwall and sell the ER-8411, just not worth dealing with it any more.

Options
2024-01-09 09:12:36

Hi @Robbp12 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Robbp12 wrote

It's not an ISP issue, I have two of them in a dual WAN.

with WAN1 ( Comcast) the ER8411 tries to renew the WAN DHCP address every two hours.

When it tries to do this it takes the wan1 port down and causes a failover to WAN 2 ( T-Mobile)

in the meantime the WAN 1 port comes back up and fails back over, which then starts a DHCP renewal on WAN 2 and takes that port down temporarily.

during all this the TP-Link waps all start going crazy and dropping clients, and the omada logs create entries faster than I can delete them. this whole thing happens almost every 2 hours.

I checked with Comcast, they don't require DHCP renewals every 2 hours, only time they do is when CPE drops the connection and even then 9 times out of 10 you get the same IP back.

I deleted the two WAN configuration and had Just TMobile connected as primary wan and it still did the renewal thing.

I disconnected the ER-8411 and reconnected my Sonicwall TZ-270 and have had 0 issues, no failovers or loss of internet. WAP's are all stable - especially my cameras connected to the wifi. no errors or events in the omada controller logs.

So, I'm leaving the Sonicwall in place, I have tried a few times with firmware releases to work with the ER-8411 and it just does not work right. I'm going to stick with Sonicwall and sell the ER-8411, just not worth dealing with it any more.

Wireshark and mirror the WAN and capture the DHCP about your ISP. We need to further analyze this.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

How to Use Port Mirror to Capture Packets in the Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 277

Replies: 3

Related Articles