Did I handle this right? (Unable to upgrade)

2024-01-07 05:42:07
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

A creature of habit, I tend to upgrade all of my hardware and software. Rarely am I bit in the <backside>.

This evening, and alone in the office, I started an upgrade of the Router firmware from V1.3.0 to 1.4.0.

Thirty minutes later, it was still "upgrading". Still later, the status changed to "Disconnected".

Thirty minutes later, I am getting near panic and I did a hard reboot (power off/on) of the router.  A few minutes later the status said "configuring" and still a few minutes later, "connected" and everything is working again.

The logged error was: "Failed to upgrade Router to firmware version 1.3.0 Build 20230322 Rel.70951 online."

Now the questions:

1. Can I simply skip the upgrade and wait for the next version, or should I try again?  There was nothing in the release notes that applies to my network- I just like a clean dashboard with no pending updates.

2. If I try again, and get the same hour and a half of downtime, did I handle the reboot correctly?  What would you have done differently.

Thanks..

Options
5 Reply
Re:Did I handle this right? (Unable to upgrade)
2024-01-07 16:46:20

@SteveMann 

Try a manual upgrade after downloading the firmware from the 'generic' site...ie if you have a /us/ or /ca/ or /eu/ etc in the URL, replace it with /en/ and reload the page.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-08 02:55:49

Hi @SteveMann 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It should be find to upgrade to the new version. I tested it with 605, 707-M2, and 8411, and all of them upgraded fine. Try several times or a manual upgrade?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-08 04:41:48

@Clive_A 

Thanks. Is this where I do the manual upgrade?

Was it correct to do a cold reboot to get connectivity back?

Options
2024-01-08 05:03:46

@d0ugmac1 
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/er7206/v1/#Firmware

and

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/er7206/v1/#Firmware

Both take me to the same page:

I will try an online upgrade tomorrow evening, then if it fails, using the manual upload.  I assume that this is the file I will submit to the upgrade prompt:

ER7206v1_un_1.4.0_20231114-rel36220_up_2023-11-14_10.04.07.bin

Options
2024-01-08 08:43:43

Hi @SteveMann 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

SteveMann wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks. Is this where I do the manual upgrade?

Was it correct to do a cold reboot to get connectivity back?

Yes, it is.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 391

Replies: 5

Related Articles