EAP225 is painfully slow (Wi-Fi)

2024-01-09 19:03:53
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

I own EAP225 and really like it but unfortunately as many other people, experience weird speed issues on this Access Point. I'm frustrated quite a bit with it and strongly considering just buying another known brand of Access Point but decided to give this a last go to fix it before I throw any money at the problem so to speak. Yes, I experience the speed issues like others but this one is a bit different as I get a full speed on two devices but others have terrible speeds or just completely refuse to connect for some reason, no matter of the location in the house which have plasterboard walls so there's definitely no issues with signal range. My old router that I bought in the same price range of EAP225 provided full Wi-Fi speeds all around my house. My broadband is 68 Mbps download and around 18/20 Mbps upload. The Access Point gets 1GB LAN Link (1000Mbps - FD) when I check the web interface as I run this Access Point in the standalone mode.

Here's more information about my devices:

Room 1:

Laptop from around 2010 or so (Full Wi-Fi Speeds)
Laptop older than 2010 (Terrible Speeds)

Room 2:

Xbox Series S (Can't connect at all)
Laptop bought from around 2 years ago (Terrible Speeds)
Work laptop (Full Wi-Fi Speeds)

When I say terrible speeds, I mean there are times where I'm getting pretty often under 1Mbps download but the upload is always the highest and matches what my ISP provides. If I'm lucky, the download usually ranges between 5Mbps to 10 or 15Mbps which then at some point just randomly tanks to under 1Mbps. Even if one of my devices gets consistent 10 to 15Mbps download speeds, YouTube will occasionally and out of sudden skip frames resulting in videos for example jumping from 1:50 to 1:58 and so on.

I browsed multiple forums online for days and still can't find any solution to my issue, I have already tried the following:

• Checking if WMM is enabled (it is)
  • Factory Resetting the Access Point
  • Updating to the latest firmware
  • Setting Wi-Fi settings to channels 1,6,11 as they don't overlap as well as other ones
  • Setting 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi to only 20Hz Channel Width
  • Changing TX Power\Wi-Fi Range to maximum (20)
  • Checking my RJ45 cables as well as POE Injector that was included with the Access Point
  • Wi-Fi is set to 802.11 b\g\n mixed with Auto Channel and Auto width as when I play around with channels or width, I get worse performance so I left it at that.

I might add that there are no Wi-Fi interference issues as clearly some devices are getting full speed but some don't, additionally, the same devices that are connected to EAP225 had a full Wi-Fi speed on my router that I mentioned earlier, the only problematic denominator I see here is the Access Point itself. The Access Point is also placed at the same place where the said router was placed, I moved the Access Point around as well as mounted it at the ceiling but it didn't do anything. To add more to the context, I'm only using 2.4 Ghz as I don't need 5 Ghz.

It's pretty frustrating to see this happen especially when I paid for Access Point itself what my whole router cost and get worse performance. Could it be that the used SOC chip is not powerful enough for this Access Point ? That was one of the comments (Link - Look for a comment from arinc9 for more information on the SOC Chip) that I came about online and could possibly explain all the Wi-Fi speed issues that many people have. Tho, TP-Link keeps ignoring the issue as it would require a recall of the hardware.

I'm just exhausted as no matter what I do, nothing works, I don't have time and energy for all of this, therefore, this is my last attempt to get this sorted out before I move on to another brand.

Any other ideas or what I can do here ?

Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP225 is painfully slow (Wi-Fi)
2024-01-10 07:13:17

@B1G_Criv 

If you read this post, I don't think you expect a great and powerful performance on the 2.4G channel.

Tried with 5G, you will see a new world.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-01-11 18:59:38 - last edited 2024-01-14 16:40:03

This is just inexcusable, I mean, even my router have better performance than this Access Point on 2.4 Ghz, besides that, the said frequency is not achieving its advertised speeds. The issue has nothing to do with frequency but the speed with this Access Point, pretty sad indeed that I will most likely need to switch over to another brand and shell more money to solve this issue. I appreciate your post @Virgo and I will take a look at it to see if I can resolve this further but from the looks of things and replies I got here, it's unlikely.

Options
2024-01-14 17:11:43

A quick update to anyone who comes across my posts in the future and trying to find a fix for the slowness: I'm an open minded person and whatever I tried so far didn't worked, including the full switch to 5Ghz as described below, which at the end of the day made everything even worse. As much time as I have spent all across my two weeks of looking for the fix, I couldn't find a single solution that worked for me. Also, for some reason, the said WMM setting under QOS have now disappeared in the Web Panel for some reason and is not there anymore 🤷 🤷. In the meantime, my access point also started misbehaving more, I started experiencing Wi-Fi loosing some signal but nothing major, the worse issue I got was that EAP225 started to randomly disconnect my laptop from time to time, even if there was a full Wi-Fi signal.

@Virgo 

I have switched fully over to 5Ghz and it caused even more issues, all my devices that I listed and worked on 2.4 Ghz simply refused to connect to 5Ghz with exception of 1 that have successfully connected and had high speeds, the rest was not able to connect at all. I don't understand what's happening with this Access Point (EAP225) as I have checked all of my devices and every single one supports 5Ghz with no exceptions. I tried changing the settings to for example A only, 40 Mhz channel and such but still nothing. Is it the case that my unit is faulty in some way ?

Options
2024-01-15 02:22:47

@B1G_Criv 

What about the PMF settings? SSID>>> Advanced settings>>>Disable it.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-01-15 13:32:30

@B1G_Criv 

Just for giggles since you haven't really posted any super technical details ON TOP of complaining.... Have you checked the signal strength of your test client?

If you're using the controller, go to the client list, click on the 3 dots on the right, and click ALL columns.

Tell us / Show us the Signal and Band your client is sitting at?  Also Post the RX/TX of the client.

This information will tell us what is going on in your workspace.

ANYWAY... again, welcome to the world of enterprise wireless...  You're not going to get a lot of speed from a EAP225.  This is a low-end affordable AP.  You get what you paid for.  At the same time, these APs are programmed differently than home residential wireless.  You are playing with oranges that you think are apples.  

You need some knowledge of the wireless world to make these APs scream at you.  It's not plug and play as you assume it is.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 402

Replies: 5

Related Articles