Difference between OpenVPN and SSL VPN
Difference between OpenVPN and SSL VPN
2024-01-11 15:26:53 - last edited 2024-01-12 00:51:39
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER706W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

this question is for client vpn setup (teleworker). In the router GUI I can setup SSL VPN and OpenVPN Server feature as well. What is the difference? Because when setting up SSL VPN, I export an ovpn file and import it into OpenVPN client. Both features use the same UDP Port 1194.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Difference between OpenVPN and SSL VPN-Solution
2024-01-12 00:51:26 - last edited 2024-01-12 00:51:39

Hi @ReneM 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Search this on the official website, it answers your question well.

How to establish an SSL VPN Server by Omada Router in Standalone mode?

Or the User Guide for ER8411, you'll find the explanation for SSL VPN as well.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Difference between OpenVPN and SSL VPN-Solution
2024-01-12 00:51:26 - last edited 2024-01-12 00:51:39

Hi @ReneM 

Search this on the official website, it answers your question well.

How to establish an SSL VPN Server by Omada Router in Standalone mode?

Or the User Guide for ER8411, you'll find the explanation for SSL VPN as well.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Difference between OpenVPN and SSL VPN
2024-01-13 09:32:37 - last edited 2024-01-13 14:59:05

@Clive_A  sorry but this does not answer my question. I know how to setup SSL VPN... 

However I would like to understand why there is an extra SSL VPN section because from my perspective it is nothing else than OpenVPN, but maybe I don't get it and someone here can explain me if there is really a difference between SSL VPN setup and the OpenVPN setup.  

Options
2024-01-15 01:28:47

@ReneM 

ReneM wrote

@Clive_A  sorry but this does not answer my question. I know how to setup SSL VPN... 

However I would like to understand why there is an extra SSL VPN section because from my perspective it is nothing else than OpenVPN, but maybe I don't get it and someone here can explain me if there is really a difference between SSL VPN setup and the OpenVPN setup.  

I am trying to get you to read and find resources on our official websites where most people don't bother to use the mouse and keyboard to search.

Why not take a second to read that? It is very clear that there is a difference. And in the very first line in that configuration guide, it explains why there is the SSL VPN introduced.

Not to mention you can google this as well. If you find it bothersome to do some little reading or research but wait for someone to feed you what you want, it is not the purpose of the forum.

To conclude, the answer you want is for better resource management that is missing from the OVPN.

Options
2024-01-15 15:26:40

@Clive_A  Long story short... I read the guides... and sadly there is no line saying like both are OpenVPN products but SSL VPN has resource management which legacy OpenVPN does not...

Anyway, thank you for your help!

Options
2024-03-29 14:31:56

@Clive_A 

I have read those resources and they don't explain WHY TP-Link decided to basically implemement the OpenVPN protocol TWICE on these varius ER series routers.  Can you as the Support person actually answer the question that was asked and stop just repeating yourself?

Options
2024-03-29 14:36:23 - last edited 2024-04-01 01:02:56

What help the TP-Link rep didn't provide any help at all.... I mean the very very very least the rep could have done was post a direct link to the article he/she is referring to but no they couldn't be bothered to do that even. What the hell is the difference between these two VPNs? Why does TP-Link maintain two separate OpenVPN protocol based VPNs? Why as a consumer do I have to go rummaging around your public website to find this out. I have read the user guide and it doesn't explain this, I have read the release notes and that doesn't explain it. I currently have two (2) 605 (1) ER8411 and now a brand new ER707-M2 and I have read the user guides for all of these with no explanation. Why is it so hard to get this one simple question answered?

Options
2024-04-01 01:57:56

Hi @svandive 

svandive wrote

@Clive_A 

I have read those resources and they don't explain WHY TP-Link decided to basically implemement the OpenVPN protocol TWICE on these varius ER series routers.  Can you as the Support person actually answer the question that was asked and stop just repeating yourself?

0. Answer to the question? Because SSL VPN provides a different and more versatile way to manage the resources that can be accessed with better control while OpenVPN does not have that ability. In a sentence. That's it.

1. We are not forced to explain every technical term in the networking for you. 

If you ask about the product, then ask. We answer layer 2 and layer 3 and do not answer questions from the point or perspective of product design.

If you want to learn about layer 2 and layer 3, of course, go ahead and ask it.

If you need to take the training program, please do. But we will not "lecture" you about a term or a function.

But it is not the rep's job to explain down to every term that shows up in the system as they are documents available on the Internet and explained better and more straightforwardly. Some basic Google search would nail it.

If you ask why there are different types of VPNs, they are all used for the same purposes, why would there be so many different VPNs? Your question likewise,

I don't think I have to explain why the dev separates them either. They separate them because there is a reason for that as SSL VPN is a huge work to configure and would be great for it to have a separate config page. And this is not a game like Ubisoft or others that we have to write the dev's blog for you.

You seem to take it for granted that we have to let every internal decision and mind note shown for you.

2. If you want a comparison, please kindly search keywords on Google.

svandive wrote

What help the TP-Link rep didn't provide any help at all.... I mean the very very very least the rep could have done was post a direct link to the article he/she is referring to but no they couldn't be bothered to do that even. What the hell is the difference between these two VPNs? Why does TP-Link maintain two separate OpenVPN protocol based VPNs? Why as a consumer do I have to go rummaging around your public website to find this out. I have read the user guide and it doesn't explain this, I have read the release notes and that doesn't explain it. I currently have two (2) 605 (1) ER8411 and now a brand new ER707-M2 and I have read the user guides for all of these with no explanation. Why is it so hard to get this one simple question answered?

3. We don't have a link to show you what is SSL VPN. So, there are people asking for the GRE, OSFP, and DPI before. So, we assume you already knew the terms as they were requested. (The User Guide has explanations for every term as you are reading to that part, this works as an introduction.)

So, when it comes to their release, you are referring to me that you do not know what they are used for and what that is. I would say that you may not be the targeted consumers.

Mostly, people would require a config guide instead of asking for a term explanation. And we mostly provide the Configuration Guide instead of explaining this term for you.

4. OpenVPN is not really a term for a specific VPN type. It is a protocol but generally, it is a compound of different VPN protocols. As an open-source software and protocol, it simply includes the SSL VPN. That's why you can use OVPN software to connect.

About what is SSL? What is TSL? I don't think we should explain this to you as it is beyond the part of the product. This is one-way lecturing and I am not a tutor which is a past tense for me. Even if I know it, I would only briefly explain that for you which does not compete with an article that is made to explain this.

And this is an endless loop. OpenVPN > differences in SSL/TLS > why they are called differently > how does it encrypt? > on TCP stream? > what is TCP? > how TCP works?.

5. And we are obviously instructed internally to let you discuss and search yourself. Leave some room for you guys to discuss. This is a forum for public discussion, NOT a Q&A platform where we are deemed to answer every single one of your questions and requests. Which you seem to take it for granted and is the case we have now. (This is what we do now and in the future to leave more room for discussion instead of being a robot to answer the questions.)

Of course, we should let you know how our forums work and what you can find on our official websites instead of "repeating yourself" where some questions are answered on the forum many times.

And guidelines have written this unequivocally.

We also hope to improve the skills of the community which is a goal. Not only to the technical skills as well as your basic materials finding and searching ability.

If you want a guaranteed answer, please kindly contact technical support.

Note what products we have, we are responsible for layers 2 and 3 mostly. Some features are based on other layers but we are not required to explain things from other layers. We do our jobs and if the rep is kind enough to discuss that for you, that's lucky. However, the workbook does not require us to explain everything in the OSI model (from layers 1 to 7) to you.

P.S. I am not a dummy or a robot and I am not gonna robotically answer and explain which is dull.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 400

Replies: 7

Tags

Related Articles