ER706W - Powerful firewall Query
ER706W - Powerful firewall Query
2024-01-18 10:38:35 - last edited 2024-01-22 23:17:13
Model: ER706W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hi, 

I have set up an Omada controller and deployed the ER706W

Wifi, VLANs, Networks and ACLs were configured accordingly. 

All working well.

The ER706W is advertised to have a "powerful firewall"

In the omada controller under the heading of Network Security, the sub heading Firewall provides state time outs. 
No powerful options

Have I missed a key configuration option for the powerful firewall?

How can I confirm the firewall is active on the WAN port?

In a CGNAT environment, how can I test the firewall?

How can I determine what data is being blocked or dropped by the powerful firewall? Log file?

Does the router have debug mode where packets can be duplicated to a capture port ? Wireshark?

Kind Regards

Omada Newb. 

Looking forward to learning more about the wonderful world of Omada.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER706W - Powerful firewall Query-Solution
2024-01-22 01:42:15 - last edited 2024-01-22 23:17:13

Hi @Omada_Newb 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Omada_Newb wrote

@Tedd404 

Thank you!! 

You have confirmed the marketing team is doing their job. Powerful firewall is a complete over exaggeration.  

Not sure about your definition of a "powerful firewall". Like Tedd said, this device is doing basic protection and can help you from some basic attacks. However, it does not perform DDOS protection. If you need DDOS attack, you should consider other third-party service providers. DDOS is not something that a single router can protect you from.

As far as I know, no routers can protect you from the DDOS. DDOS is a headache for all web owners.

If you mean other types of attack, please state and cross reference the firewall settings on the Omada.

Note that Omada is not a firewall product but a router with some firewall settings and protection-related features for the business environment. Not a dedicated firewall.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:ER706W - Powerful firewall Query
2024-01-19 06:41:31

@Omada_Newb 

Logs may show something but no more.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-01-21 03:04:25

@Omada_Newb 

Port mirror for debug.

Firwall is on by default. Nat is firewall. Attack defense is basic features about the tcp/udp control.

If you need protection from ddos, the router can do some minimum protection but can't be overall as cloudflare.

Omada can do other firewall like DPI and ips. Don't know if that's your concept of firewall.

There is preset in the router and there's a guide on the forum introducing the firewall related stuff.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-01-21 06:28:50

@Tedd404 

Thank you!! 

You have confirmed the marketing team is doing their job. Powerful firewall is a complete over exaggeration.  

Options
Re:ER706W - Powerful firewall Query-Solution
2024-01-22 01:42:15 - last edited 2024-01-22 23:17:13

Hi @Omada_Newb 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Omada_Newb wrote

@Tedd404 

Thank you!! 

Not sure about your definition of a "powerful firewall". Like Tedd said, this device is doing basic protection and can help you from some basic attacks. However, it does not perform DDOS protection. If you need DDOS attack, you should consider other third-party service providers. DDOS is not something that a single router can protect you from.

As far as I know, no routers can protect you from the DDOS. DDOS is a headache for all web owners.

If you mean other types of attack, please state and cross reference the firewall settings on the Omada.

Note that Omada is not a firewall product but a router with some firewall settings and protection-related features for the business environment. Not a dedicated firewall.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-22 23:09:27

@Clive_A 

Thanks Clive, 

We have the same understanding of the devices capabilities. 

The marketing of "powerful firewall" is incorrect. 

Really appreciate your time, effort and in depth response. 

Warm Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 494

Replies: 5

Related Articles