Roaming von ER706W not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Roaming von ER706W not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
49 Reply
Re:Roaming von ER706W not working
2024-01-20 18:23:53 - last edited 2024-01-20 18:24:09

@kogan 

yes

Options
2024-01-22 03:06:29

Hi @kogan 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

kogan wrote

@MR.S 

thank you!

@Hank21 @Clive_A 

I found the "bug" - which is obviously a real bug.

After deactivating 6GHz, I was able to downgrade to WPA2 only, since then roaming is working in both directions.

I also tested again and switched to WPA3 - EAP650 to ER706W is working perfect, from ER706W to EAP650 it is not switching back...

So, 6GHz would force your encryption to a higher version. That's not a bug. Search WIFI 7 encryption.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-22 06:38:08

@Clive_A 

This is not the point. Please read carefully, what the problem is.

Options
2024-01-22 06:46:54

Hi @kogan 

kogan wrote

@Clive_A 

This is not the point. Please read carefully, what the problem is.

I know what problem you experience and I am setting up one in the test environment and I still have other stuff to do. So I'll try this in the office and see if I experience the same thing or if it is the config issue.

I am just letting you know that the previous comment you had, is not accurate about the WIFI encryption. Or you simply mean the roaming issue not the encryption of the WIFI. So there is only one issue remaining and we need to discuss it later after some tests.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-22 07:11:30

@Clive_A 

yes - everything here about, is the roaming problem. Of course I knew and this was clear, activating 6Ghz will force WPA3 as encryption.

My post about deactivating 6Ghz and downgrading to WPA2 only tells, that the roaming started to work in both directions...pointing probably to a bug or something else...

thanks!

Options
2024-01-22 07:18:14

Hi @kogan 

kogan wrote

@Clive_A 

yes - everything here about, is the roaming problem. Of course I knew and this was clear, activating 6Ghz will force WPA3 as encryption.

My post about deactivating 6Ghz and downgrading to WPA2 only tells, that the roaming started to work in both directions...pointing probably to a bug or something else...

thanks!

In my test, I just did it. I am not enabling 6GHz while none of the current models support 6GHz. I also disable 6GHz all the time because I don't have test models for 6GHz and I configure based on the real equipment I have.

So the fast roaming can work back and forth. From ER706W-4G to EAP620 V3. Both are not on the latest firmware, the Fast Roaming works.

So, if you say this roaming does not work well when you enable 6GHz, I'd recommend you turn off the 6GHz if you don't have any 6GHz EAP installed. 6GHz features are not ready or available and may cause some issues on none 6GHz ready devices if you force enable them.

In the past, we had some people reporting turning on 6GHz would make the clients unable to connect or other issues because of the lack of support for 6GHz. If you mean the issue originated from the 6GHz.

Options
2024-01-22 07:21:30

@Clive_A 

Mate - you really dont read, what we wrote ;-)

Could you please test roaming by enabling WPA3 encryption? I think THIS could be the problem. Thank you a lot.

ps: with WPA2 roaming is working here as well, again said :-p

Options
2024-01-22 07:46:51

Hi @kogan 

kogan wrote

@Clive_A 

Mate - you really dont read, what we wrote ;-)

Could you please test roaming by enabling WPA3 encryption? I think THIS could be the problem. Thank you a lot.

ps: with WPA2 roaming is working here as well, again said :-p

So my first point is that you should not use 6GHz if you don't have 6GHz devices. Force 6GHz on 5GHz may cause some trouble which fits our expectation because it is not the proper config.

Second point is that if you use 2.4 and 5 and you should be okay to switch back and forth.

What you reported is the first case on the forum so I am not buying all you said. I am holding a grain of salt and that's why I said I would do a test based on what you said.

Walking from ER706W-4G to EAP 620.

No dropping on the WIFI disconnection at all. Just had bad signal bars and went to the full bar then.

WPA mode is set to be

Options
2024-01-22 08:12:48

Hi @kogan

Also tried enabling 6GHz on settings. It did not disconnect as well. Threshold is set at -64 dBm to kick the weak signal device. So, during the whole Fast Roaming test, it did not switch to celluar or no WIFI even in my test my phone was on airplane mode.

Options
2024-01-22 13:03:43

@Clive_A 

Well I have now tested again:

when I just switch from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA3-SAE then Mobilephones are switching very well in roaming between EAP650 and ER706W.

I asked myself: why? Simple answer: because Omada switched to WPA2/WPA3, but not the Mobilephone, its stil on WPA2 AES, so other devices too.

After I removed the WIFI Connection and connected again, connection shows WPA3 as security option. 

NOW roaming is NOT working FROM ER706W to EAP650 anymore, but from EAP650 to ER70W.

I also tested this behaviour on all my devices, notebooks as well. Same on all devices.

Not sure, if it is ER70W, that is not letting me go or EAP650, thats not letting me in with WPA3...

Could you please open with this failure behavior of roaming with WPA3 enabled a ticket please? Cause there is nothing left I could configure, to let roaming with WPA3 enabled work.

thanks in advance

Options
Related Articles