Roaming von ER706W not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Roaming von ER706W not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
49 Reply
Re:Roaming von ER706W not working
2024-02-05 09:16:53 - last edited 2024-02-05 09:18:36

@Merfild 

thanks for the info...

here 1.0.3 and 1.0.12 with upgrade available to 1.0.13

Options
2024-02-07 13:21:13

Dear  @Clive_A  

Do you have any news about this issue?

Thanks in advanced and regards,

Options
2024-02-10 02:21:01

Hi @Merfild 

Merfild wrote

Dear  @Clive_A  

Do you have any news about this issue?

No. No update or information I can provide until after Feb 18th.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-10 08:58:02 - last edited 2024-02-12 08:44:31

Dear @Clive_A 

Thanks for your support! we will wait for your answer patiently 

In addition, I have made a video of WiFiman app to show another issue related to RSSI threshold. I think it could be related to WPA3 issue since performance is very similar, for that reason, I have not opened another topic in the forum. 

Please, I would like you watch this video that is in my Drive (video is shown on streaming, you don't have to download any file). If you prefer another system to upload videos, please let me know. 

Notes about the video:  WPA3 is not activated. RSSI threshold is set up only for ER706W with -73db for 5Ghz, it means, a very high number. 

Firstly in the video I am connected to ER706W close to it. Then I move to the kitchen and I leave the mobile on a table. As you can see in the video, the signal is stabilized in -65db (it shouldn't be disconnected), however, suddenly mobile disconnects from ER706W and it is connected to EAP650 with a very bad signal (-85db). 

The same performance happens if I set-up the same RSSI to EAP650 and not ER706W.

Issue is solved when RSSI threshold is desactivated. 

Link to the video: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LSYvyAgnYiynJ1kch9ZOQYv1iTXF2KD4/view?usp=sharing

@kogan, please could you do the same test to check if performance is the same as mine?

Thanks for your support

Options
2024-02-19 21:25:53

Dear @Clive_A 

Do you have any news about WPA3 issue with ER706W? Were you able to watch de vídeo about RSSI Thresold issue? I am open to colaborarte with development department if neccessary. 

@kogan, were you able to solve the issue with WPA3?

Thanks for your collaboration and regards

Options
Re:Roaming von ER706W not working-Solution
2024-02-20 06:45:10 - last edited 2024-03-01 08:24:25

Hi @Merfild 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Merfild wrote

Dear @Clive_A 

Do you have any news about WPA3 issue with ER706W? Were you able to watch de vídeo about RSSI Thresold issue? I am open to colaborarte with development department if neccessary. 

@kogan, were you able to solve the issue with WPA3?

Thanks for your collaboration and regards

Here's the reply from the test team:

1. AI Roaming is not supported by ER706W now. So, please consider disabling it. Will optimize this in the next firmware to make it roam smoothly and will officially support it in V5.15 adapted firmware.

2. ER706W does not support WPA3 and 802.11r. This is also planned to be supported in V5.15. So, consider disabling WPA3 and 802.11r in roaming to avoid any issue in the roaming.

Above are the reasons why it does not work well with the roaming.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-20 11:14:22 - last edited 2024-02-20 13:06:51

Dear @Clive_A 

Thanks for your reply. Honestly I am in shock! I don't understand why Tp-link launch such an immature product.  

I have some questions about the 2 points you wrote. I writhe them in blue below. 

1. AI Roaming is not supported by ER706W now. So, please consider disabling it. Will optimize this in the next firmware to make it roam smoothly and will officially support it in V5.15 adapted firmware.

My understanding was that AI roaming makes sense with a mesh network, however, in my case, both ER706W and EAP650 are wired. Maybe I am confusing the concepts AI mesh and AI roaming? The point is that roaming is WORKING for me, but it works when RSSI Threshold is disable. Does it make sense for you? I would appreciate a technical explanation. 

2. ER706W does not support WPA3 and 802.11r. This is also planned to be supported in V5.15. So, consider disabling WPA3 and 802.11r in roaming to avoid any issue in the roaming.

You say that ER706W does not support WPA3 and 802.11r, but, the point is that, WPA3 is WORKING for me, however, roaming is not working. So it seems that what is not working are these 2 features at the same time. 

The most important question now for me is, do you have any aprox. ETA for V5.15?

Options
2024-02-21 01:47:42 - last edited 2024-02-21 01:49:55

Hi @Merfild 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Merfild wrote

Dear @Clive_A 

Thanks for your reply. Honestly I am in shock! I don't understand why Tp-link launch such an immature product.  

I have some questions about the 2 points you wrote. I writhe them in blue below. 

My understanding was that AI roaming makes sense with a mesh network, however, in my case, both ER706W and EAP650 are wired. Maybe I am confusing the concepts AI mesh and AI roaming? The point is that roaming is WORKING for me, but it works when RSSI Threshold is disable. Does it make sense for you? I would appreciate a technical explanation. 

1. I am not sure why you are in shock. But it is the truth and firmware would iterate before a product becomes mature. Did you try the ER605 4 years ago which now is equipped with tons of features?

This WiFi-enabled router was beyond my expectations as well. With WIFI, this would only increase the problems with wireless and it is beyond the router itself.

And we are still planning to add features this year just like the last year. 2022 did not have plenty of features like last year. Some of you may never use them but crucial to our target users.

2. If you have trouble distinguishing the ROAMING and MESH in the Omada product line, you may search online about two terms.

And our official site also has EAP mesh and EAP roaming explanation.

3. RSSI threshold is a feature I introduced to enable in this case. By default, it is disabled. My previous assumption before the test team replied to me is to set RSSI threshold which is a common practice to fix problems like not roaming smoothly.

Of course, it makes sense to me. If you are telling me that you disabling the RSSI threshold is helpful to your case. Then your case is not the same as the OP because he does not enable the RSSI threshold and I recommended so.

Does this make sense to you? Your case should be another situation with similar symptoms to the OP but not the same.

Merfild wrote

You say that ER706W does not support WPA3 and 802.11r, but, the point is that, WPA3 is WORKING for me, however, roaming is not working. So it seems that what is not working are these 2 features at the same time. 

The most important question now for me is, do you have any aprox. ETA for V5.15?

You're in the controller mode and in controller mode, regardless of what you have adopted, the 802.11r and WPA3 will always show up there. See the pictures below.

No. V5.14 is not available yet and our team is just back from vacation. I don't have a timeline for V5.15. My blind guess would be early Q2. Following adapted firmware would be released a bit later. Just let you know that we have a disclaimer about the timeline we give. I won't repeat it here unless necessary.

Options
2024-03-01 08:24:06

Case closed due to no further replies. Reason has been explained in the replies in the end.

Options
Related Articles