Unable to restore configuration to new controller

2024-01-22 07:15:32 - last edited 2024-01-22 15:02:15
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.13.23

I installed the v5.13.23 controller on a Raspberry Pi 4.  Prior to this I have been using the software controller on my desktop PC.  The plan was to put the Raspberry controller in my server room and use it instead of my desktop.  (The desktop PC is also running v5.13.23).

I did a backup on the desktop instance and a restore on the Raspberry.  At least I tried the restore.  I get:

"Restore failed. Failed to restore because of unexpected errors. Please try again later."

So, what should I do next?  Do I need to reconfigure all of my LANs and my fixed IP clients?  Did I do the backup/restore wrong?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Unable to restore configuration to new controller-Solution
2024-01-22 14:30:18 - last edited 2024-01-22 15:02:15

@SteveMann 

HI Steve

When changing controller platforms, I have found that you must migrate the sites rather than try to restore the whole controller.  Essentially set up your new controller as a new controller, and then follow the Wizard instructions on 'Site Migration'.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-22 18:05:58 - last edited 2024-01-22 20:17:31

@SteveMann 

Definitely don't do that.  Just follow the wizard instructions here:

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
2024-01-22 14:30:18 - last edited 2024-01-22 15:02:15

@SteveMann 

HI Steve

When changing controller platforms, I have found that you must migrate the sites rather than try to restore the whole controller.  Essentially set up your new controller as a new controller, and then follow the Wizard instructions on 'Site Migration'.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to restore configuration to new controller
2024-01-22 14:59:27

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the tip.

So, basically, start over.

Is there any to get a list of the clients with fixed IP addresses?

Options
2024-01-22 15:50:11

@SteveMann 

It's not that bad...the only thing that's 'new' is the controller umbrella environment itself (admin login, whether cloud connected or not, IP).  Everything else, ie your router, switch and AP configs are stored at the site level.  So your subnet definitions, static IP assignments, etc etc will all come across just fine.

Options
2024-01-22 16:39:21

@d0ugmac1 

"Everything else, ie your router, switch and AP configs are stored at the site level.  So your subnet definitions, static IP assignments, etc etc will all come across just fine."

How do I do this?  The backup/restore is not working.  I found another post on these forums that sid this:

You can save the whole 'data folder' at C:\Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\EAP Controller\data ( the installation of Omada Controller) of old Controller, install a new Controller at your server and replace the 'data folder', then the configuration of Omada Controller will be same as the older one.

AI said to use the migration option in Settings, but I don't have the migration option in settings.  Would copying the data folder from the old to the new controller work as well?  Even going from Windows to Linux?

If this would work it could save me a couple of hours...

Options
2024-01-22 18:05:58 - last edited 2024-01-22 20:17:31

@SteveMann 

Definitely don't do that.  Just follow the wizard instructions here:

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-22 20:26:09

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks. Migration worked.

But, I swear on every server here that "Migration" was not in my old controller software menu when I started this process.

So, everything looks to be in order now, and no calls of "the network is down", so I think we're all good.

Again, your assistance is greatly appreciated.  If we ever meet I will buy lunch.

Really. "migration" was not on the settings men this morning.....

Options
2024-01-22 20:35:42

@SteveMann 

Glad you are up and running :). Your 'lunch' offer was much appreciated, it's the 3rd of my forum career here :)

I've often found people get tripped up by trying to do controller level stuff (like migration), but when not at the Global view level.  It's a flaw in the UI design that there's not a link from a site's sidebar back to the Controller Options sidebar content, and especially confusing when there is only a single site on the Controller that you have to switch views to do different things.  @Hank21 some thoughts for the controller team.

Options
2024-01-22 23:24:32
I made a note in my notebook that the migration option only presents when in the Global view. I have a new issue but since it isn't related to migration, I will start a new thread.
Options
2024-01-22 23:30:38
Never mind. One of my servers on Ethernet was not appearing in my clients list. And now it is.
Options
2024-01-23 00:57:07

@SteveMann 

Take the win.  Get your grin on :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 635

Replies: 11

Related Articles