CPE210 Bridge Mode Not working

2024-01-22 23:33:20 - last edited 2024-01-23 01:11:14
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3 Build 20201110 Rel. 66916 (5553)

I followed the directions here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/724/ to set up bridge mode. When the LAN connection is disconnected, the CPE210 never connects to the wifi network it's supposed to be bridging. When the LAN is connected, then I can connect to it's AP SSID (different from the client SSID), and it passes data. But as soon as I remove the LAN, it never connects to the client SSID, even after a reboot. When I scan for client networks, it sees the SSID it's supposed to connect to (with ample strength). I set the security mode to match, left the other options as 'auto' and put in the correct PSK.  

I have 4 different CPE210's and they all exhibit the same behavior... they just never connect on the client.

I even tried putting them just in client mode (after a factory reset), and they never connect even though they can see the AP's and even select them to lock to.

What am I doing wrong here?

Options
7 Reply
Re:CPE210 Bridge Mode Not working
2024-01-23 08:42:53

@dononeil 

"When the LAN connection is disconnected, the CPE210 never connects to the wifi network it's supposed to be bridging."

Strange. If there is no signal source, how the CPE expand the wifi signal? 

In another hand, CPE is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited 60 degree angle, we can say that there is almost no signal on its side and back panel. If you use it on bridge mode, the performance may not be so good, and it requires that both the front-end Internet source device and client device should be all within cpe wifi angle.
You can refer this link to see cpe wifi angle: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1044/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-01-23 13:16:18 - last edited 2024-01-23 13:17:49

@Virgo 

There is signal, when you scan it sees the signal quite strong (-50db), it just never connects to it with it set up in either client mode or in bridge mode even though the settings are correct. Seems like a software issue, as I loaded OpenWRT on one of them that was having the issue and it works fine as both a client and bridge.

This problem is happening on 4 different units that I have.

Options
2024-01-24 03:14:54

@dononeil 

It should be working in Client mode, do you have a CPE set as the AP mode?

What is the signal source? A router? What is the distance between the client cpe and the router?

Options
2024-01-26 00:47:24

@Virgo I am trying to connect it to an EAP225/EAP610, both of which are about 20' away. The signal source is an Omada router/controller setup. I have another pair of these working as a network extender (one CPE210 as an AP, one CPE210 as a repeater), its when I try to connect to the Omada setup that it doesn't work. Does the 'near' side have to be a CPE210? I assumed it could connect to any AP, not just a CPE210 in AP mode.

Options
2024-01-26 03:50:08

@dononeil 

Have you tried fixing the channel and channel width? 

Yes, it should be connecting to any APs, but the AP should be available to send the signal to the CPE whatever how long the distance is.

Options
2024-01-29 19:14:47

@Virgo I haven't tried fixing the channel/width. Which side are you saying to set, the AP side or the CPE210 side? I can try that as an experiment. However, the CPE210 sees the AP when it does a scan, so it's not a signal strength issue. As I stated, it seems like the problem is software related, since when running alternative firmware the issue doesn't happen.

Options
2024-01-30 05:57:44

@dononeil 

I mean fixed the channel in AP side, and if the AP changes different channels and indeed the client cpe will drop-out because it can't link to the AP.

Alternative firmware? what is it? How did you get it?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 469

Replies: 7

Related Articles