Votes

Omada Contoller Client based Time Range Profiles

Votes

2024-01-26 04:00:54

It would be great to be able to assign time range profiles to individual clients, currently time profiles need to be assigned to WLAN's or ports. This means for each client individual WLAN must be created.

example of application is parental controls of kids, have a fourteen year old teenage girl and seven year old boy, the boys bed time is 8pm while the girl's is 9.30pm, so I created a separate kids Wi-Fi WLAN with time profile on for 7am to 9.30pm. However the boy can still be on iPad in bed.

if we were able to create client based time profiles the boys devices could be disconnected at 8pm and girls at 9.30pm and we would only need to have one main WLAN and second Quest WLAN.

furthermore would not have to assign time profiles to ports which means no issues to cables are swapped, the time profile would follow the client.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Omada Contoller Client based Time Range Profiles
2024-01-29 03:36:30

Hi @mstamp,

The switch ACL can be set based on the Time Range, and the MAC address is the identification of each client device, you may choose the MAC Group when you set the Switch ACL. Like the below image:

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-01-29 08:39:26

@Hank21 , thank you

I have created an ACL and will test it tonight.

Unfortunately, you can only use a time range for when the ACL rule is "ENABLED" and can only have a time range per day if using custom for individual days.

Hence I need to create two rules, first a permit rule using the time range, then a deny rule below it with no time range.

I created the MAC group with all kid's devices as the source and used the default IPGroup_Any to block all destinations.

It would be good to have the option to disable the ACL during the time range, so we would only need to create a single ACL.

Also, noticed that my kids devices were still connected to Wifi SSID last night after time range turned of the SSID Radio. I used the reconnect button through clients page to disconnect them. Appears current connections to SSID are not disconnected when the time range expires and SSID is turned off. I confirmed the SSID was of with my Phone before which it was, yet kids were still connected.

Options
2024-01-31 00:05:05

@Hank21 

Confirm after testing using ACL with time range, I was able to create rules to block kids devices at night

Options
2024-01-31 01:28:25

Hi @mstamp,

Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-02-26 18:57:37
Hello, I would like to do the same, and I created an ACL with a time range on a specific MAC Address, but the PC continues to have Internet. Would you please say me how you make the configuration ? Regards and thanks for your help. Serge
Options
2024-02-26 22:58:06

@Sergiow57, you need to add two ACL rules, first a deny for Mac group with no time range, then above it add a permit for Mac group with the time range applied.

this is required as ACL rules with time ranges are only active during the time range.

For my two kids,  I created individual Mac groups and time ranges for each kid, I have one deny rule with both Mac groups allowing active and two permit rules with the time ranges.

This works great and means I no longer need a separate wifi SSID for the kids as I can manage it through the switches using ACL.

hope this helps

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 247

Replies: 6

Voters 2