ER605 VPN client
ER605 VPN client
2024-01-29 15:07:25
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3 Build 20231201 Rel.32918

Hello!
I have ER605 router and i need to connect it to OpenVPN server (Ubuntu Linux 20.04.6 LTS, OpenVPN 2.4.12). I have made setup of server and i have .ovpn file. It seems OK, because i can use this file to connect from my test PC, works fine. test PC in the same subnet(/24) with router, so it seems there are no network problems. But router doesn't want to connect. According to server logs there is a connection, cipher is ok, i even can ping router from server using it virtual address (in my case 10.10.0.2), but there is no connection, no data transfer, i can't ping server from router, and router doesn'r make tunnel. Router logs have ho information and are useless in this case (router is in stand alone mode).

My server config:

My .ovpn file:

My router setup:

Thank you!

Options
13 Reply
Re:ER605 VPN client
2024-01-30 07:54:17

Hi @xiyingzi 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Local IP, what is your LAN?

Put the LAN subnet there.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-30 08:24:14

@Clive_A 
Hello!

LAN subnet above the router 192.168.254.0/24 (Test PC in the same subnet)

Router LAN settings

Router WAN settings:

Options
2024-01-31 01:47:48 - last edited 2024-01-31 01:48:56

Hi @xiyingzi 

xiyingzi wrote

@Clive_A 
Hello!

LAN subnet above the router 192.168.254.0/24 (Test PC in the same subnet)

Router LAN settings

Router WAN settings:

You don't seem to get it. If you re-examine your config, you have a misconfiguration in Local LAN.

Would you please read it again and read it carefully? A very plain mistake in that.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-31 09:22:46

@Clive_A 

This mistake i have corrected(i'm new for TP-Link equipment, some bad habits from other systems where i have to point VPN network IP), thank you. But still no result.

Options
2024-02-01 05:40:33

Hi @xiyingzi 

xiyingzi wrote

@Clive_A 

This mistake i have corrected(i'm new for TP-Link equipment, some bad habits from other systems where i have to point VPN network IP), thank you. But still no result.

Wireshark and paste the screenshot here. Mosaic your IP.

Use the filter to filter the port. I only need to see what happened to it as a VPN client.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

How to Use Port Mirror to Capture Packets in the Controller

Options
2024-02-01 15:23:43

@Clive_A 

Ok!
At first i turned off VPN client on the router (first few lines) and then turned it on

After that some ping from my server (VPN IP 10.10.0.1) to router (VPN IP 10.10.0.2):

And got this:

But still no tunnel on the router:

Options
2024-02-01 16:37:45 - last edited 2024-02-01 16:40:36

@xiyingzi 

my experience is that tp-link routers do not work as client on openvpn server 2.4 or later. when I have installed the openvpn server, I have installed for compatibility with older than 2.4 . , if I do not do that, the tp-link router does not work as a client against the openvpn server.

Options
2024-02-02 09:55:55

Hi @xiyingzi 

xiyingzi wrote

@Clive_A 

Ok!
At first i turned off VPN client on the router (first few lines) and then turned it on

After that some ping from my server (VPN IP 10.10.0.1) to router (VPN IP 10.10.0.2):

And got this:

But still no tunnel on the router:

As there is no tunnel showing up but the ping is okay, can you let me know if the network is actually working or not?

If it is working, you might need to wait for a while before it shows up.

Options
2024-02-02 10:27:37

@Clive_A 

Network doesn't work:
1. I can wait few minutes and even few hours, nothing changes.

2. From server i can ping only router VPN IP (10.10.0.2) but i can't see router LAN devices (10.6.3.0/24)

3. On the router i can't do anything with this interface (as example NAT, firewall or routing rules) because router doesn't see it and doesn't allow me to set up this interface as option to other settings.

Options
2024-02-04 06:06:34

Hi @xiyingzi 

xiyingzi wrote

@Clive_A 

Network doesn't work:
1. I can wait few minutes and even few hours, nothing changes.

2. From server i can ping only router VPN IP (10.10.0.2) but i can't see router LAN devices (10.6.3.0/24)

3. On the router i can't do anything with this interface (as example NAT, firewall or routing rules) because router doesn't see it and doesn't allow me to set up this interface as option to other settings.

OVPN is supposed to be Client to Site instead of S2S. You might use this VPN wrong.

Can you confirm that your VPN server supports this S2S scenario?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 923

Replies: 13

Tags

Related Articles