Issues with Static Routing

2024-01-30 16:32:33 - last edited 2024-01-31 05:52:12
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.20.0 Build 20230818 Rel.72032

Hi everyone,

I'm new to using TP-Link switches. I have a DSL modem with the IP 192.168.18.1, but it doesn't have static route configuration. My network has around 50 users. When the modem gives out DHCP addresses, it crashes after a few hours and needs restarting. My TP-Link switch is unmanaged and in a single VLAN setup, which works okay.

Now, I'm trying to set up two different VLANs:

- VLAN2 with 22 ports
- VLAN1 with 2 ports, where my internet and switch (IP 192.168.18.5) are connected.

When I create another VLAN and turn on DHCP with the IP range 192.168.15.1, the switch starts assigning IPs. But, after I add a static route in the switch with Destination 0.0.0.0 and Next Hop 192.168.18.1 or 18.5, the internet does not work. I can connect to the switch at 192.168.18.5 from VLAN2 but can't reach my DSL modem at 192.168.18.1.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I followed this, the problem is my router/dsl modem does not have an option of static route

https://www.tp-link.com/pk/support/faq/3656/

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Issues with Static Routing-Solution
2024-01-31 05:52:04 - last edited 2024-01-31 05:52:12

Hi @dexterhussain 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Expected.

So you are not using the ER605. You get the IP address and you set up the static routing, these are the correct steps.

But what you miss is the multi-NAT feature which I suppose your router does not support.

Take a look at the FAQ887 and you need to read the part where it mentions the multi-NAT. Configure that on your router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Issues with Static Routing-Solution
2024-01-31 05:52:04 - last edited 2024-01-31 05:52:12

Hi @dexterhussain 

Expected.

So you are not using the ER605. You get the IP address and you set up the static routing, these are the correct steps.

But what you miss is the multi-NAT feature which I suppose your router does not support.

Take a look at the FAQ887 and you need to read the part where it mentions the multi-NAT. Configure that on your router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Issues with Static Routing
2024-01-31 06:04:22
The issue still remains the same, my router does not have an option for nat or multi-nat, it is just a simple DSL modem
Options
Re:Issues with Static Routing
2024-02-02 06:11:28

Hi @dexterhussain 

dexterhussain wrote

The issue still remains the same, my router does not have an option for nat or multi-nat, it is just a simple DSL modem

Then you should consider getting a model that supports that.

That's how it works. You are missing NAT and nothing wrong with the switch. Switch is no router or NAT.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 214

Replies: 3

Related Articles