EAP683 slow speeds and high drop rates

2024-02-03 14:14:55 - last edited 2024-02-03 14:16:05
Model: EAP683 LR  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi all, 

I have a setup with two EAP683 LR connected to a TL-SG3428X-M2. Besides the unusually high package drop rates, others already have reported, I'm seeing pretty slow speeds under certain circumstances. To nail down the problem a bit, I have disconnected one of the two EAPs and am only using the one, which is near to me. My server is directly connected to the Switch via 2.5G, as is the MacBook for the wired tests and I have a 1GBit/s Internet connection.

Device Connection Type of Speedtest Result
MacBook wired iPerf3 from server 2.3GBit/s
MacBoook wired speedtest.net 950MBit/s
MacBook wireless iPerf3 from server ca. 750MBit/s
MacBook wireless speedtest.net 150 - 200 MBit/s
iPhone wireless iPerf3 from server ca. 800MBit/s
iPhone wireless speedtest.net 150 - 200 MBit/s

I don't understand it, but it seems that the connections during the internet speedtest is having problems on the EAP683. I repeated these test multiple times of course, and did that also with different speedtest sites, which basically shows the same results. 

Now, if I swap the EAP683 against a EAP670 the internet speedtest will show expected results again: 

Device Connection Type of Speedtest Result
MacBook wireless speedtest.net 750 - 800 MBit/s
iPhone wireless speedtest.net 750 - 800 MBit/s

So that leads me to the assumption that there is a bug in the EAP683 firmware... Is anybody experiencing similar things?

Currently I have firmware 1.0.2 installed... I guess, this is the newest one, right?

Additional info: 

- Server is on VLAN50

- Wireless Clients on VLAN10

- Wired MacBook on VLAN1

What would be your suggestion for me? Keeping the EAP683s and hoping for a future firmware update fixing the problem? Or returning them and going with another solution?

On the other hand, could there be anything that I have misconfigured?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Options
8 Reply
Re:EAP683 slow speeds and high drop rates
2024-02-05 03:08:27

Hello @backf1sh,

Please try this solution here for EAP683 LR.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-02-05 13:00:48

@Hank21 Thanks for getting in touch! At the weekend I had some time to fiddle around a bit and tested the FW version 1.0.90 against 1.0.2, but beween these I did not recognize any substatial differences. 

However, one important finding was in Channel Width for the 5 GHz Band:

- Fixing the width to 160MHz yielded good performance in almost every test. iPerf could showed transfer rates up to 1600 MBit/s and I was able to saturate my internet connection at around 950 MBit/s. Did a bunch of tests and only very few were showing a deteriorated performance

- Switching to any other Channel Width than 160MHz (e.g. 80MHz or "Auto"), was showing the aforementioned behaviour again with transfer rates going back to around 150 MBit/s (sometimes a bit less, sometimes bit more)...

I think there is still a Bug in the firmware, don't you think?

P.S.:

- I haven't done any extensive tests on the 2.4GHz Band

- Compared to my EAP670 also the statistics about the Channel and Band utilization is not as detailed. Will this be improved with another firmware upgrade?

Options
2024-02-06 05:51:52

Hi @backf1sh,

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID240211036, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-02-06 09:41:48

@Hank21 Thanks for your support and opening the ticket. Support already got in contact with me. I'll follow up here, when we have found a solution.

BR!

Options
2024-02-21 16:02:12

@Hank21 

Just wanted to give a quick heads up. After the support getting in touch with right after opening the ticket, I have sent the requested data and explanations on Feb. 06, but have not heard anything back from support yet... 

Hope that they will come up with some news soon.

BR!

Options
2024-02-22 01:13:50

Hi @backf1sh,

The support team has received your email and will follow it via this Ticket number. Thanks for your updates.

Options
2024-03-02 17:03:16
Any update on this? I’m on 1.0.2 and it’s gotten notably worse and making it difficult to be on video calls without significant jitter and packet loss.
Options
2024-03-03 10:36:16 - last edited 2024-03-03 10:38:36

@rumblpak 

well, not really. Last Tuesday I got an update from the support, that they have forwarded my issue to the next level... At least it seems they are working on it...

so far I am running on beta firmware 1.0.90 with a fixed channel width of 160 MHz for the 5GHz band. This gives me acceptable performance at least. While this is OK for a temporary a workaround, I think still this can't be the final solution...

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 541

Replies: 8

Related Articles