Using Switch to feed 2 Routers

2024-02-11 15:18:43 - last edited 2024-02-18 02:16:39
Model: TL-SG105PE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is it possible to connect from my cable modem (bridge mode) to the TL-SG105PE and split the signal to 2 independent routers, and have 2 separate LAN's essentially?

Do the routers need to be in AP or bridge mode? Will the switch assign IP's?

Do I need ingress and egress ports in my vlan config or just outgoing.

Routers are AXE75 and WRT3200ACM

Thanks

T

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Using Switch to feed 2 Routers-Solution
2024-02-18 02:16:34 - last edited 2024-02-18 02:16:39

Hi @Lastoknow 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I don't think this is a generic use. Very unusual. But there were some cases people use it in that way.

If this is your bridge mode router gives you, the IP 192.168.1.137, you can use the switch. Because actually, you are still using the switch as a device in LAN(192.168.1.0/24). So it works.

But if you tell me that you are getting a public IP address, then, the answer is no. You cannot use it. You cannot get a single pub IP to two different routers.

Would recommend you get some materials/articles about the NAT. That would be helpful in your understanding in this case.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Using Switch to feed 2 Routers-Solution
2024-02-18 02:16:34 - last edited 2024-02-18 02:16:39

Hi @Lastoknow 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I don't think this is a generic use. Very unusual. But there were some cases people use it in that way.

If this is your bridge mode router gives you, the IP 192.168.1.137, you can use the switch. Because actually, you are still using the switch as a device in LAN(192.168.1.0/24). So it works.

But if you tell me that you are getting a public IP address, then, the answer is no. You cannot use it. You cannot get a single pub IP to two different routers.

Would recommend you get some materials/articles about the NAT. That would be helpful in your understanding in this case.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Using Switch to feed 2 Routers
2024-02-23 21:37:10

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the response Clive_A. I kinda expected as much. I'll search out NAT info and review your attachments.

T

Options