Swapping an existing Mesh network over to full fibre

2024-02-13 13:06:40 - last edited 2024-02-19 10:40:00

I have 3 Deco X60s connected to a Plusnet Hub One modem/router (with its wifi disabled). All works satisfactorily for me. However, we're in the process of swapping from an FTTC copper connection to full fibre with a different provider. The new router will, as I understand it, be a Fritz!box 7530 connected to the ONT.

how do I swap over with minimal disruption? I assume it can't be as simple as swapping the Deco over to the back of the new router but I'm hoping I don't have to try to reset the Decos back to factory defaults and set up again from scratch.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Swapping an existing Mesh network over to full fibre-Solution
2024-02-13 13:33:06 - last edited 2024-02-19 10:40:00

@Silenos 

If your Main Deco is currently connected to the LAN port of Plusnet Hub One modem/router, it should be as simple as connecting Main Deco to the LAN port of Fritz!box 7530.

Make sure you have wifi disabled on Fritz!box 7530, just like you have it with Plusnet.

--------

You didn't tell if you run your Deco mesh in its default Router or in Access Point mode, but when you have ISP router you should consider running Deco mesh in AP mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

In that mode Main Deco becomes just another connected wired device as far as ISP Router concerned, just like desktop PC. And just like desktop PC, you plug Main Deco that is in Access Point mode to a router, any router, and it should work.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Swapping an existing Mesh network over to full fibre-Solution
2024-02-13 13:33:06 - last edited 2024-02-19 10:40:00

@Silenos 

If your Main Deco is currently connected to the LAN port of Plusnet Hub One modem/router, it should be as simple as connecting Main Deco to the LAN port of Fritz!box 7530.

Make sure you have wifi disabled on Fritz!box 7530, just like you have it with Plusnet.

--------

You didn't tell if you run your Deco mesh in its default Router or in Access Point mode, but when you have ISP router you should consider running Deco mesh in AP mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

In that mode Main Deco becomes just another connected wired device as far as ISP Router concerned, just like desktop PC. And just like desktop PC, you plug Main Deco that is in Access Point mode to a router, any router, and it should work.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Swapping an existing Mesh network over to full fibre
2024-02-13 13:44:34

Thanks! Fingers crossed.

Options