Votes

ER605 - Active / Passive Adapter(s)

2024-02-24 21:13:05 - last edited 2024-02-24 21:15:03
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3

I'm using the ER605 along with 2 48 port switches that basically form the backend. 

Since the 2 TP-Link switches are not stacked, there is no option to create a LAG spanning the two switches. 

Hence, connecting the ER605 to one of each switches currently results in a broadcost-storm, killing the whole network.

I read, that the request to "Add LAGs" to the ER605 was rejected, because the hardware was to weak - 

But what about adding an active/passive failover for 1 or multiple lan ports? (It has 4, actually) 

So, you could select 2 or multiple LAN-Ports for a certain network and either manually (or automatically) they form a failover group, 
where the first LAN-Port is sololy online, until it looses connection. Then it goes into offline mode and tries with the second port - and so on. 
Shifting through the assigned ports in a - say - 20 second up/down fashhion, until it gets a connection on one of the assigned ports.

That way, the ER605 could be connected to upto 4 switches, ensuring that a switch failure does not cut of internet-access, because the ER605
could simply failover to one of the other ports.

Options
3 Reply
Re:ER605 - Active / Passive Adapter(s)
2024-02-26 03:23:53 - last edited 2024-02-26 03:24:03

Hi @dognose 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

LAG might not be available to all modes. But this is the request post for LAG on Omada routers.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/621674

STP on the switch should be able to block the loop connection. Which means you can connect two switches to the router at the same time to form a "backup" link. This should work.

What about your result?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-26 11:54:07

@Clive_A I've tried it with (R)STP (on the switches), and this did not work.

Broadcast-Storm of death is the result :( 

On a customer site, I have a ER7206 connected to a (stacked) switch backend - there it works, cause obviously the stacked switches are able to identify the loop:

But in my case - two non-stacked switches, interconnected and connected to the ER605 each, STP-detection fails. 

Options
2024-02-27 02:04:14

Hi @dognose 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

dognose wrote

@Clive_A I've tried it with (R)STP (on the switches), and this did not work.

Broadcast-Storm of death is the result :( 

On a customer site, I have a ER7206 connected to a (stacked) switch backend - there it works, cause obviously the stacked switches are able to identify the loop:

But in my case - two non-stacked switches, interconnected and connected to the ER605 each, STP-detection fails. 

What would be the name of the feature you are looking for on the router? I think I did not find a proper name for it yet. It's like LAG. But if it is LAG, that would be classified as the same as the LAG request. I feel it does not really look like LAG. Instead, it is like a dedicated backup link?

Let me know the name you are looking for so I can do some research on it.

About your statement that STP did not work on non-stacked switches, what are the models? Do you think this is a problem caused by the router instead of a failure in the switch to properly identify the loop?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 109

Replies: 3

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.