Limit access only to VPN users

2024-03-01 08:41:31
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I played with the firewall and it seems like it uses ports and IP addresses. IP addresses are very easy to hijack. Some MiTM can hijack the MAC too.

I need the router to allow only users who know the shared key pass through. I want the firewall to try to decrypt the packet and if it fails, then to drop it. This way I know only VPN users have access. Any other means of firewalling are worthless from a security point of view.

Given the fact that the firewall only uses ports and IP addresses to take a decision, maybe, I don't know, the router will inherently, by default allow only packets that were successfully decrypted on a given interface that has encrypted tunnel enabled on it. I don't know how the tp-link router handles this, this is why I ask. I need controll access, not anonymity of payload data. I would use PPPoE Server service offered by other tp-link router models, where it is clearly stated in the configuration menu that only users with a password can pass, but PPPoE control bytes are not encrypted and therefore easy to hijack.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Limit access only to VPN users
2024-03-04 01:56:55

Hi @Bimo 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

"shared key pass through", consider the portal. With a password to get the Internet.

"decrypt the packet", no. We don't do that. AFAICS, you may find DPI suitable for your setup. I am not sure if it meets your definition of "decryption".

If not, there is nothing else on the router for you. You may seek alternative solutions.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 186

Replies: 1

Tags

Related Articles