Band steering not applied by the controller

2024-03-06 19:06:51
Tags: #Adoption #Band Steering
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have Omada Software Controller (Linux) (5.13.30.8) which is managing two EAPs:

• EAP245(Canada) v3.0, firmware version 5.0.5 Build 20220323 Rel. 68784
  • EAP225-Outdoor(Canada) v1.0, firmware version 5.0.8 Build 20220225 Rel. 61314

I have band steering enabled in the controller (set to "Prefef 5 GHz / 6 GHz"), but "Application Result" tab shows "The device does not support this feature" message for "Band Steering" feature for both devices.

According to the specs, both EAP245 and EAP225 support this feature.

Trying to undertand what is causing this.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Band steering not applied by the controller
2024-03-07 09:47:22

Hi @mpelesh 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Do you have 6GHz enabled in SSID you created? If yes, remove it. And try again.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Band steering not applied by the controller
2024-03-07 15:47:09 - last edited 2024-03-07 20:36:17

Clive_A wrote

Hi @mpelesh 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Do you have 6GHz enabled in SSID you created? If yes, remove it. And try again.

Thank you for your response.

6 GHz was never enabled on my SSIDs. I did find one setting violation though: my SSIDs had both "EAP" and "Gateway" checked as "Device Type". This probably was caused by the controller upgrades, as I never selected "Gateway" as a device type for SSIDs. Since device type cannot be changed, I created new SSIDs with only "EAP" checked and removed old SSIDs. This still did not resolve the issue and Application Result reports that Band Steering is not supported by device.

Are there any other settings that can disable Band Steering? Also, is there a way to get details/logs why a feature is being reported as unsupported by device?

Can it be related to this? EAP225 V5_1.3.0_Build 20240126 Pre-release (Released on Feb 5th, 2024)

> 1. Fixed the bug of Band steering Feature working abnormally.

Unfortunatelly my EAPs are CA version, so I am not getting firmware update anytime soon.

Options