What is the meaning of toggle/ enable VLANs

2024-03-10 18:35:32
Model: SL2428P  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.2

Hi,

This is my hardware setup: ER605, OC200, SG2428P, and some AP.

I started to play arround with VLANs- I created 4 instances as part of understanding the use of it.

There are some great tutorials on it on youtube, BUT- I didn't watch any one talking about what is shown below ("enable" switch for vlans under "config" tab on my switch).

All VLANs are working as expected with/ without toggling this. Even more, at the vlan creation tab, there is no enable / disable switch, so the question is: what is its purpose ?

Options
7 Reply
Re:What is the meaning of toggle/ enable VLANs
2024-03-11 06:30:40

Hi @guyd2 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Whether this (VLAN interface) DHCP server is effective or not. By default, they are not enabled.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-15 06:14:40

@Clive_A 

Hi,

For an example - CAM VLAN, can be turned off or on, I get the same result - NVR which is connected via ethernet cable and 2 WiFi cams (to WiFi assigned to VLAN ), and I don't see any change in fucntionality, pings or other,

Can you explain more?

Options
2024-03-15 06:26:38

Hi @guyd2 

This will answer your question on what it is for.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-15 14:23:18

@guyd2 

Thank you for answering, but using that guide :

1. I followed it step by step and didn't find "disable" DHCP on router alone ( and I had to reset it to factory defaults in order to unbind it from the controller ). Perhaps a different version, although I went throu the entire options in GUI.

2. I don't understand how disabling DHCP on router side, explains why do I need to toggle ON or OFF the vlans ( which seems to works without any affect of the toggle ).

Guy

Options
2024-03-18 01:22:18

Hi @guyd2 

guyd2 wrote

@guyd2 

Thank you for answering, but using that guide :

1. I followed it step by step and didn't find "disable" DHCP on router alone ( and I had to reset it to factory defaults in order to unbind it from the controller ). Perhaps a different version, although I went throu the entire options in GUI.

2. I don't understand how disabling DHCP on router side, explains why do I need to toggle ON or OFF the vlans ( which seems to works without any affect of the toggle ).

Guy

My suggestions for your questions are

1. Get yourself familiarized with the GUI. I'd recommend you take a look at the User Guide of the controller. I cannot point you in every single direction on what features are under which tab. I am not sure I can help with that anymore.

2. DHCP server and parameters are under the LAN settings if you need to toggle off the router DHCP on a specific VLAN interface.

Options
2024-03-18 14:13:59

@guyd2 

Let me rephrase the question (altough it was clear):

1) VLANs were defined correctly, and are working as expected.

2) What is the purpose of those toggles, since all VLANs work as expected when it is toggled ON (that is not a surprise) and when it is toggled OFF (should not it toggle the VLAN off?)

Can't find any relevancy to DHCP server, as recommneded.

Guy

Options
2024-03-20 06:16:26

Hi @guyd2 

guyd2 wrote

@guyd2 

Let me rephrase the question (altough it was clear):

1) VLANs were defined correctly, and are working as expected.

2) What is the purpose of those toggles, since all VLANs work as expected when it is toggled ON (that is not a surprise) and when it is toggled OFF (should not it toggle the VLAN off?)

Can't find any relevancy to DHCP server, as recommneded.

Guy

Earlier, I suggested you a reading on the FAQ we have. In that situation, you are required to toggle it to make the DHCP servers on the switch work. If you read that.

That's the reason why there is a toggle button for them. If I am not clear about this, I don't know how to express this part further.

There are two different types of DHCP servers. On the router, or on the L2+ or L3 switch. What you are asking belongs to the second type.

An example: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/656760?replyId=1325740

Options