EAP Outdoor hardware is way behind the indoor units - plans to release modern equipment?

EAP Outdoor hardware is way behind the indoor units - plans to release modern equipment?

2024-03-11 16:42:20 - last edited 2024-03-13 02:41:09
Model: EAP650-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Only in the last month has TP-Link released an updated outdoor model and it is only an AX3000 yet in the indoor AP models we are way up to Wifi7 standards - light years ahead. When is TP link going to catch up the outdoor model technology? My mesh network requires hopping over the outdoor EAPs to work so having those be so slow and behind keeps me from ever upgrading - the bottleneck makes it pointless.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP Outdoor hardware is way behind the indoor units - plans to release modern equipment?-Solution
2024-03-12 02:16:10 - last edited 2024-03-13 02:41:09

Hi @OrangeStreet 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

High frequency performs worse than low frequency in penetrating the thin materials and leaves and traveling in the air. It's the nature of the radio frequency.

About your product request for WIFI 7, you may send an email to the local TP-Link as a product request that can best help you get your voice heard.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP Outdoor hardware is way behind the indoor units - plans to release modern equipment?
2024-03-12 01:29:39

@OrangeStreet 

Hello old friend :)  I understand what you are asking, but the reality is those whizbang WiFi7 units just don't perform as well over distance.  At the end of the day, the FCC isn't giving you more than 1W max at your antenna, and while you can use ever more clever modulation tech to get more bits per hertz nearby, that is done at the cost of power and requires an ever more clean RF environment.  This is my way of saying at 150', I'll bet the trusty EAP225-outdoor performs just as well as any hypothetical EAP750-outdoor might.

If you want to jazz up your 'net, then you need more root nodes in your mesh, possibly leveraging the (hopefully soon to appear in NA) EAP215-bridge set (Omada controlled).

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:EAP Outdoor hardware is way behind the indoor units - plans to release modern equipment?-Solution
2024-03-12 02:16:10 - last edited 2024-03-13 02:41:09

Hi @OrangeStreet 

High frequency performs worse than low frequency in penetrating the thin materials and leaves and traveling in the air. It's the nature of the radio frequency.

About your product request for WIFI 7, you may send an email to the local TP-Link as a product request that can best help you get your voice heard.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EAP Outdoor hardware is way behind the indoor units - plans to release modern equipment?
2024-03-14 20:18:18

@Clive_A  I'm afraid my point was missed here. I get that maybe wifi 7 isn't best for outdoor solutions but at the moment the outdoor units don't even support anything past AX3000 - not even very good wifi 5 or 6 options - You have indoor units that have 4x4 antennae for 5Ghz with high throughput capabilities but the outdoor units do not. I will still firmly argue that the outdoor tech is way too far behind even not considering wifi 7.

On a side note the new bridge may actually solve my problem by providing a high speed interconnect between my buildings as right now I rely on those outdoor units to do bridging to my primary ISP connection. I have a hotel with 6 buildings and only one can have the primary Internet so I rely heavily on mesh via the outdoor units. I may need to replace or add bridges to the primary building. I will look in to that offering and see how it will work with my setup.

Options
2024-03-15 09:15:18

Hi @OrangeStreet 

OrangeStreet wrote

@Clive_A  I'm afraid my point was missed here. I get that maybe wifi 7 isn't best for outdoor solutions but at the moment the outdoor units don't even support anything past AX3000 - not even very good wifi 5 or 6 options - You have indoor units that have 4x4 antennae for 5Ghz with high throughput capabilities but the outdoor units do not. I will still firmly argue that the outdoor tech is way too far behind even not considering wifi 7.

On a side note the new bridge may actually solve my problem by providing a high speed interconnect between my buildings as right now I rely on those outdoor units to do bridging to my primary ISP connection. I have a hotel with 6 buildings and only one can have the primary Internet so I rely heavily on mesh via the outdoor units. I may need to replace or add bridges to the primary building. I will look in to that offering and see how it will work with my setup.

I think it would be best for you to contact our local team for a request like this. Since you have 6 buildings and a potential partnership in the future, I think that'd be the best way to get your voice heard.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 160

Replies: 4

Related Articles