how does multi-wan setup interact with dynamic dns?

2024-03-24 19:17:09 - last edited 2024-03-25 03:41:27
Tags: #DDNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

I have an ER605 set up with a fault-tolerant primary/secondary WAN link pair (not for load-balancing).  both of the WAN ISP's provide an IP address via DHCP.  how does this configuration interact with dynamic DNS?  do i set up one dynamic DNS config for the 'WAN' interface and a second separate one for 'WAN/LAN1'? so if the router observes WAN as down, does it switch over to 'WAN/LAN1' and immediately run the dynamic DNS config for WAN/LAN1?  

Options
2 Reply
Re:how does multi-wan setup interact with dynamic dns?
2024-03-24 19:24:56
i just tried to add a second dynamic dns config for WAN/LAN1, using the same info i specified for WAN. the idea is that if the primary (WAN) fails and the router falls over to WAN/LAN1, the WAN/LAN1 dynamic dns config would fire and update the appropriate A record. but the router does *NOT* let you specify the same domain name for a 2nd config, even if that 2nd config is for a different interface (WAN/LAN1 vs WAN). color me confused.
Options
Re:how does multi-wan setup interact with dynamic dns?
2024-03-25 01:31:12

Hi @mtk0 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Expected to be normal.

1. Two IPs should be using different domains. But they are CDN like Cloudflare and can bind both IPs to the same domain. But we aren't usually the ones that handle this. It is not any longer a problem you should fix on the router.

2. Think of a way from your DDNS or CDN admin page. Contact your providers for further guide on this.

Now you should set two different domains but the second domain should be directed to the primary domain. But having load balancing on the DDNS to direct which IP should be accessed.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 2

Tags

Related Articles