TL-SG3428XMP v2.0 on Omada controller shows each port twice

2024-03-26 14:19:21 - last edited 2024-03-28 05:41:06
Model: TL-SG3428XMP  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.6

Hi guys,

all of a sudden, when I try accessing the SG3428XMP switch from within the Omada Web-Interface, the device is showing me the following picture:

Switch Ports

Each of the ports is being listed twice, which doesn't allow for any modification since clicking on one port will address a different one (in a strange, random pattern).

The Ports list also shows them twice, although, the second "instance" has the default label "Port n" instead of my custom assigned label:

Port list

As far as I can tell, the device is still working and the network traffic doesn't seem to be messed up. Only thing not working is the traffic analysis / charts.

Strangely enough: We have a second SG3428XMP located in the same network, which also is a V2.0 with the same firmware and doesn't show this behaviour at all. 

Could this be some configuration issue or is this a sign the device is slowly but surely dying?

Any advice on how to solve this?

Regards

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:TL-SG3428XMP v2.0 on Omada controller shows each port twice -Solution
2024-03-28 02:50:29 - last edited 2024-04-01 02:58:06

Hi @Technik-Gegg 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Technik-Gegg wrote

@Clive_A 

Clive, thank you for the fast reply.

I suppose you mean the browser cache. Did that to no avail. 

I even used a different browser, which never has connected to the Omada controller, just to be on the safe side.

What's even more strange, another switch (SG3210XHP-M2 v2.0) now shows the same behavior, even though it didn't do that yesterday.

And guess what: We also have two of those and the other one is not showing that kind of glitch.surprise

I already suspected some sort of caching/display issues and downloaded and inspected the configuration JSON files for both switches. The data looks fine at first glance. i.e. ports are all available and enumerated correctly.

No wait... not sure where I was looking at: I inspected the JSON files once again, turned out, the ports appear duplicated in the JSON file as well... guess I was already a bit exhausted yesterday smiley

Edit: Here are the screenshots from the Device-Info JSON files:

Switch 1: OK
​​​​​​ Switch 2: Ports doubled

A bit more information on that topic, just to rule out any strange "side effects":

The very same network configuration has been up and running for the past 2 years, with no significant changes. Last week I had to set up a WAN fallback, and hence switched WAN/LAN1 to WAN. Not sure if this could have caused this.

Regards

TG

I am now consulting with the dev and see if we need additional information from you.

In the internal log, I found that this is known and estimated to be optimized in the future SDNC update.

Temporarily, you can forget the switch and readopt to fix the issues. Do not reset your Omada controller.

As for now, you may back up your config, device info, and running log for further diagnosis in case I am instructed to collect them.

Appreciate your cooperation.

Update:

This will be further optimized in the SDNC update. ETA in V5.15.X. Please kindly wait for the update.
Temporarily, if you experience the issue, please refer to this line:
Temporarily, you can forget the switch and readopt to fix the issues. Do not reset your Omada controller.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-28 05:40:48 - last edited 2024-03-28 05:41:11

@Clive_A 

I have bad news and good news...

The bad news: We've lost another switch yesterday, a SG3428 v2.30 (i.e. same symptom).

The good news: Instructing Omada to Forget the devices and readopt them fixed that issue.

So, to recap in case someone else experiences the same issue:

• don't mess with the switch configuration, since changes to one of the ports may mess up the settings of another port
  • Force Provision in the Config -> Manage Device doesn't change anything
  • instead, go to the Config -> Manage Device menu and click on Download under Download Device Info first and wait for the download to finish
  • then click on Forget under Forget this device
  • wait for Omada to refresh the devices list and click on Adopt as the device shows up again

Keep in mind: Any of the configured settings, such as device name, port names or assigned VLANs etc. will be gone and you have to reconfigure those (in the downloaded Device Info ZIP file you'll find the JSON files containing all the configuration settings, just in case you need them. Extract the files and open them with either your web browser or some JSON file viewer).

Also, if you haven't assigned a static IP-Address for this device, you may expect getting a new IP-Address assigned by the DHCP.

Thanks a lot for the support Clive! Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the upcoming release of the firmware.

TG

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-SG3428XMP v2.0 on Omada controller shows each port twice
2024-03-27 02:20:05

Hi @Technik-Gegg 

Not dying. Just clear your cache and check it again.

Any visual glitch like this or wrong password would be a problem resulting from the cache.

Let me know the results.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-27 08:01:28 - last edited 2024-03-27 08:30:12

@Clive_A 

I even used a different browser, which never has connected to the Omada controller, just to be on the safe side.

What's even more strange, another switch (SG3210XHP-M2 v2.0) now shows the same behavior, even though it didn't do that yesterday.

And guess what: We also have two of those and the other one is not showing that kind of glitch.surprise

I already suspected some sort of caching/display issues and downloaded and inspected the configuration JSON files for both switches. The data looks fine at first glance. i.e. ports are all available and enumerated correctly.

No wait... not sure where I was looking at: I inspected the JSON files once again, turned out, the ports appear duplicated in the JSON file as well... guess I was already a bit exhausted yesterday smiley

Switch 1: OK Switch 1: OK
​​​​​​ Switch 2: not OK Switch 2: Ports doubled

A bit more information on that topic, just to rule out any strange "side effects":

The very same network configuration has been up and running for the past 2 years, with no significant changes. Last week I had to set up a WAN fallback, and hence switched WAN/LAN1 to WAN. Not sure if this could have caused this.

Regards

TG

Options
2024-03-28 02:50:29 - last edited 2024-04-01 02:58:06

Hi @Technik-Gegg 

Technik-Gegg wrote

@Clive_A 

Switch 1: OK
​​​​​​ Switch 2: Ports doubled

Regards

TG

I am now consulting with the dev and see if we need additional information from you.

In the internal log, I found that this is known and estimated to be optimized in the future SDNC update.

As for now, you may back up your config, device info, and running log for further diagnosis in case I am instructed to collect them.

Appreciate your cooperation.

Update:

This will be further optimized in the SDNC update. ETA in V5.15.X. Please kindly wait for the update.
Temporarily, if you experience the issue, please refer to this line:

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-28 05:40:48 - last edited 2024-03-28 05:41:11

@Clive_A 

I have bad news and good news...

The bad news: We've lost another switch yesterday, a SG3428 v2.30 (i.e. same symptom).

The good news: Instructing Omada to Forget the devices and readopt them fixed that issue.

So, to recap in case someone else experiences the same issue:

• don't mess with the switch configuration, since changes to one of the ports may mess up the settings of another port
  • Force Provision in the Config -> Manage Device doesn't change anything
  • instead, go to the Config -> Manage Device menu and click on Download under Download Device Info first and wait for the download to finish
  • then click on Forget under Forget this device
  • wait for Omada to refresh the devices list and click on Adopt as the device shows up again

Keep in mind: Any of the configured settings, such as device name, port names or assigned VLANs etc. will be gone and you have to reconfigure those (in the downloaded Device Info ZIP file you'll find the JSON files containing all the configuration settings, just in case you need them. Extract the files and open them with either your web browser or some JSON file viewer).

Also, if you haven't assigned a static IP-Address for this device, you may expect getting a new IP-Address assigned by the DHCP.

Thanks a lot for the support Clive! Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the upcoming release of the firmware.

TG

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-30 18:39:25

@Technik-Gegg I believe this is some kind of firmware bug. Had it as well with an TL-SG2008P a few months ago. Same solution: remove switch, adopt again and issues resolved.

1* OC200 v1.0 1* TL-R605 v1.0 1* TL-SG2428P v1.0 3* EAP245(EU) v3.0 1* EAP225-Outdoor (EU) v3.0
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 189

Replies: 5

Related Articles