Mesh Setup with Two EAPs Wired

a week ago
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have been searching online for a solution as well as watched a lot of instructional videos by TP-Link.  There isn't a solution on what I want to do that I've come across yet.

Current Setup:

EAP670 on first floor, wired connected directly into a POE switch

EAP670 on second floor, wired connected directly into a POE switch

The two EAPs have different SSIDs.

POE switch is connected to router and have internet connection on both EAPs.

Both EAPs have connection to internet if I connect to them.

What I want to do:

To have devices automatically connect to the stronger signal EAP670 without having change SSID.  Eveything I've read is either,

1) Disconnet the 2nd floor EAP670 and have it connect wirelessly to the first EAP670 to create a mesh.  This I do not want to do because I want to maximize speed on both floors.

2) Change the SSIDs on both EAPs to be the same.  This I am not sure how it's going to work because the device will just stay connected to the one I'm already on even if its weaker.

3) Someone mentioned I need to get a controller such as a OC200 to enable band steering.  But band steering has to do with switch between 2.4ghz and 5ghz right?  It seems that it doesn't have anything to do with switching the devices automatically to the stronger signal EAP?

I am confused.  What's the best solution here?  Basically, I just want to be able to connect to the faster EAP depending on my location without creating a mesh using the method of not connecting the 2nd floor EAP wired and connect it wirelessly to the 1st floor EAP.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Mesh Setup with Two EAPs Wired
a week ago

Centropolis wrote

I have been searching online for a solution as well as watched a lot of instructional videos by TP-Link.  There isn't a solution on what I want to do that I've come across yet.

Current Setup:

EAP670 on first floor, wired connected directly into a POE switch

EAP670 on second floor, wired connected directly into a POE switch

The two EAPs have different SSIDs.

POE switch is connected to router and have internet connection on both EAPs.

Both EAPs have connection to internet if I connect to them.

What I want to do:

To have devices automatically connect to the stronger signal EAP670 without having change SSID.  Eveything I've read is either,

1) Disconnet the 2nd floor EAP670 and have it connect wirelessly to the first EAP670 to create a mesh.  This I do not want to do because I want to maximize speed on both floors.

2) Change the SSIDs on both EAPs to be the same.  This I am not sure how it's going to work because the device will just stay connected to the one I'm already on even if its weaker.

3) Someone mentioned I need to get a controller such as a OC200 to enable band steering.  But band steering has to do with switch between 2.4ghz and 5ghz right?  It seems that it doesn't have anything to do with switching the devices automatically to the stronger signal EAP?

I am confused.  What's the best solution here?  Basically, I just want to be able to connect to the faster EAP depending on my location without creating a mesh using the method of not connecting the 2nd floor EAP wired and connect it wirelessly to the 1st floor EAP.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out!

Hi @Centropolis 

The fast roaming function with Omada products might be suitable to you. Fast Roaming is a feature that allows your Wi-Fi clients to switch their connection from one AP to another quickly to get stronger Wi-Fi signal, improving your Wi-Fi experience, as well as optimizing the load of each AP by adjusting the number of clients connected to them. 

Omada Fast Roaming requires the use of Omada Controllers and keep running, such as the software controller and hardware controller OC200/OC300.

You can download the free software controller in Windows or Linux PC, and try to enable the fast roaming function before you purchase the OC200/OC300. Here are the download links and set up video.

Download for Omada Software Controller | TP-Link

How to Install and Set Up Omada Software Controller

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options