Omada Discovery Utility and Linux (Pop_OS)

a week ago

I appoligize in advance if I'm asking this question in the wrong spot.

I have a controller setup that remotely manages several Omada networks (over 50). Typically, when I arrive to do an installation for a client, I would use the Omada Discovery Utility to streamline the adoption process - this is usually done from a Windows 10 laptop.

To simplify it, I'm not to happy with the direction Microsoft is going right now. I won't go into those details on this post though. However, in my effort to escape Windows, I am converting my laptop into a Linux machine to do these tasks (and many other on-site things). So far, everythings working great, but I can't get the Omada Discovery Utility to open. My skill set is based more towards hardware and programming networks - so I'm getting a little lost in trying to troubleshoot Java software - I've never really been a coder.

Basically, the error I recieve when I try to run the JAR file is:

"Error starting ApplicationContext. To display the conditions report re-run your application with 'debug' enabled.
2024-04-24 16:14:11.057 ERROR 6782 --- [           main] o.s.boot.SpringApplication               : Application run failed"

It's then followed by a plethora of errors, such as "ClassNotFoundException" and "NoClassDefFoundError" for various files. I can post exact details if needed - but I thought I probably shouldn't flood this first post with a page or two of errors.

I have tried the Utility versions 5.0.8 and 5.1.1 (both list Linux as a compatible OS). I have tried using various recommended versions of Java, such as 8, 11 and 1.8. I have tried Open Java and Oracle Java. I have tried running other Java applications on this Linux laptop to determine if Java is working properly, and they work without issue. I have also tried running the utility on Windows using Java to make sure my files aren't corrupt, and the utility works fine there - just not on this Linux machine. I haven't had a chance to try the Utility on a different distro of Linux yet.

Has anybody here gotten the Discovery Utility to work on Linux? If so, was there anything special you had to do, such as recompiling the JAR? Also, if you've made this work with Linux, what distro are you running?

Thanks in advance!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada Discovery Utility and Linux (Pop_OS)
a week ago

Duble08 wrote

I appoligize in advance if I'm asking this question in the wrong spot.

I have a controller setup that remotely manages several Omada networks (over 50). Typically, when I arrive to do an installation for a client, I would use the Omada Discovery Utility to streamline the adoption process - this is usually done from a Windows 10 laptop.

To simplify it, I'm not to happy with the direction Microsoft is going right now. I won't go into those details on this post though. However, in my effort to escape Windows, I am converting my laptop into a Linux machine to do these tasks (and many other on-site things). So far, everythings working great, but I can't get the Omada Discovery Utility to open. My skill set is based more towards hardware and programming networks - so I'm getting a little lost in trying to troubleshoot Java software - I've never really been a coder.

Basically, the error I recieve when I try to run the JAR file is:

"Error starting ApplicationContext. To display the conditions report re-run your application with 'debug' enabled.
2024-04-24 16:14:11.057 ERROR 6782 --- [           main] o.s.boot.SpringApplication               : Application run failed"

It's then followed by a plethora of errors, such as "ClassNotFoundException" and "NoClassDefFoundError" for various files. I can post exact details if needed - but I thought I probably shouldn't flood this first post with a page or two of errors.

I have tried the Utility versions 5.0.8 and 5.1.1 (both list Linux as a compatible OS). I have tried using various recommended versions of Java, such as 8, 11 and 1.8. I have tried Open Java and Oracle Java. I have tried running other Java applications on this Linux laptop to determine if Java is working properly, and they work without issue. I have also tried running the utility on Windows using Java to make sure my files aren't corrupt, and the utility works fine there - just not on this Linux machine. I haven't had a chance to try the Utility on a different distro of Linux yet.

Has anybody here gotten the Discovery Utility to work on Linux? If so, was there anything special you had to do, such as recompiling the JAR? Also, if you've made this work with Linux, what distro are you running?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Duble08 

Could you re-run the utility with the --debug option to get more detailed information about the error? And what about the log files, will it show any information about the failure?

Please also share how did you install and launch the utility, and provide some screenshots.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
a week ago

@Hank21 Thanks for the reply. How do you run the debug option? I guess the better question is, where do you place the "--debug" option in the command line? I can't seem to get it to trigger. Currently, I'm trying to run the application as follows: 

"java -jar omadafilenamehere.jar"

I've tried putting the "--debug" line both before the file name and after, and it doesn't seem to do anything different.

I have verified the installation of Java with each install/swaped version by using "java -version" and "javac -version"

You asked how I'm doing the install. Are you talking about with Java, or the discovery tool? The discovery tool doesn't have an installer. It's ran directly from it's own container. You unzip the downloaded file, then you're supposed to be able to run the "JAR" file directly. The Java installs I've done through Symantec package installer - I've uninstalled previous versions before trying a different one to avoid confusion with "alternatives" installed. I've also set the Java Home variable each time and verified it was set correctly. 

Other Java applications run fine... It's just this discovery tool that won't open. I can send screenshots of the errors if you'd like.

Options
a week ago

@Hank21 I have attached some screenshots to this reply of what I get when I try to run the Discovery Utility.

Options
a week ago

Hi @Duble08 

The Omada discovery utility is not fully applied to the Pop!_OS system currently. Since the Pop!_OS does not include OpenJDK-related packages, we recommend that you install the Oracle JDK and try again.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
a week ago

@Hank21 

As detailed in my original post, I have tried various versions of both Open Java and Oracle. The screenshots I sent were with it running on the most recent version of Oracle Java. I have attached a screenshot with verification of my Java version.

The error message I receive is the same regardless of Java version I have installed or attempt to run the utility with. If there's a particular version of Oracle Java that I should be using instead of the most recent / updated one I currently have installed, let me know and I'd be happy to try it out and report back with the results.

Options
a week ago

Duble08 wrote

@Hank21 

As detailed in my original post, I have tried various versions of both Open Java and Oracle. The screenshots I sent were with it running on the most recent version of Oracle Java. I have attached a screenshot with verification of my Java version.

The error message I receive is the same regardless of Java version I have installed or attempt to run the utility with. If there's a particular version of Oracle Java that I should be using instead of the most recent / updated one I currently have installed, let me know and I'd be happy to try it out and report back with the results.

Hi @Duble08 

We may suggest you to run the utility at version Oracle 8. Will it for you?

Options
Saturday

Thanks @Hank21 - Oracle JDK Version 8 was able to load the Discovery Utility on Pop_OS. I had originally tried to open it with the Oracle 8 JRE (no account required), but it was a no-go. I had to register with Oracle to get access to the JDK of Version 8, but after downloading the JDK and setting it up, It opened just fine. The Discovery Utility window was extremely small and difficult to read, so I made a quick fix to that by making a script using "run_scaled" to run the application in a more legible way - I'm currently running it at 200% scale.

The script is very simple:

"run_scaled java -jar /location/of/your/file/omada-discovery-utility-x.x.x.jar"

By default, "run_scaled" upscales the application it's running by 2 (200%). This can be adjusted by adding the option "--scale=VALUE", where the value can be a percent or a number. For example:

"run_scaled --scale=2.5 java -jar /location/of/your/file/omada-discovery-utility-x.x.x.jar"

or

"run_scaled --scale=250% java -jar /location/of/your/file/omada-discovery-utility-x.x.x.jar"

Hopefully this info can help others that are also trying to run the Omada Discovery Utility in Linux.

Thanks again for for the suggestions @Hank21 

Options