Why can't I specify DNS IP from my LAN?????

a week ago
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am using the latest Controller installed on Ubuntu 22.04.  I want to use our internal DNS as the default DNS for each VLAN.  But when I try to specify those IP's for my WAN port static IP DNS it will not let me?  It says something like 'that conflicts with your LAN IP range'.  How do I set this up so I don't have to change ALL my VLANs to specify the internal DNS?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Why can't I specify DNS IP from my LAN?????
a week ago

@muzicman0 

You specify each LAN subnet's custom DNS IP's in the LAN definition...you do not try to assign them to the WAN port.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
a week ago

@d0ugmac1 I understand that is where you define it for individual VLANs.  But, since all of my VLANs point (by default) to the Omada Gateway, if I could set it's DNS to my internal LAN DNS it would make my life easier.  It makes no sense to me that I can't point to a local DNS server.

Options
a week ago

@muzicman0 

Actually it does make sense, especially when you remember that the Omada devices are 'gateways' and not full 'routers'.  The gateway model presumes a NAT exists between WAN and LAN sides, and so cannot handle LAN IP's being part of a WAN port definition, as it presumes they should route TO the internet, not via NAT to the LAN (hence the error you saw).  This is further complicated by the typically dynamic nature of the WAN port configuration being pushed by the ISP's DHCP.  The correct way to override the 'default' setting of using the ISP-provided DNS servers, is to override them manually for each of your subnets, meaning the DHCP server which serves IP addresses to your LAN devices sends your local DNS server IP(s).  You can 'paste' the IP address into the Controller field.  If you have hundreds of subnets, look at the API to save some time.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
a week ago

@d0ugmac1 I understand how they want me to do this.  However, this is an enterprise level router.  At the end of the day, it is routing between a WAN and a LAN.  It is absolutely aware of my subnets (as evidenced by the error msg itself).  I'm not a network newby.  I understand how they work, and have been working in Networks for almost 20 years, Cisco certified, blah blah blah.  I don't know if I have ever seen a router that can't use a LAN address as the DNS (I suppose I haven't tried on everything I have ever used).  Routing from the WAN to the LAN is why you have a routing table.  It's also how the router knows how to forward ports to the local LAN if configured.  I even just checked my Ubiquity that I use at home, and it can also handle DNS from the local LAN.  And, yes, I know this isn't a Ubiquity router.  All I am saying is that there is no real reason to not allow it.  And it is a common configuration.

At this point it doesn't really matter, I have updated all of the DHCP scopes to point to the local DNS servers.  I just wish I didn't have to waste my time doing this.

Options
a week ago

Hi @muzicman0 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

muzicman0 wrote

@d0ugmac1 I understand how they want me to do this.  However, this is an enterprise level router.  At the end of the day, it is routing between a WAN and a LAN.  It is absolutely aware of my subnets (as evidenced by the error msg itself).  I'm not a network newby.  I understand how they work, and have been working in Networks for almost 20 years, Cisco certified, blah blah blah.  I don't know if I have ever seen a router that can't use a LAN address as the DNS (I suppose I haven't tried on everything I have ever used).  Routing from the WAN to the LAN is why you have a routing table.  It's also how the router knows how to forward ports to the local LAN if configured.  I even just checked my Ubiquity that I use at home, and it can also handle DNS from the local LAN.  And, yes, I know this isn't a Ubiquity router.  All I am saying is that there is no real reason to not allow it.  And it is a common configuration.

At this point it doesn't really matter, I have updated all of the DHCP scopes to point to the local DNS servers.  I just wish I didn't have to waste my time doing this.

Are you sure it's routing from WAN to LAN? DNS query received from LAN, then sent to the WAN, then back to LAN? Are you sure?

Client DNS query > Gateway LAN DNS(if not specified, default GW IP) > WAN DNS > WAN DNS > LAN IP?

My question is, how does it access from WAN after it passes NAT to a LAN DNS?

Client DNS query would be answered by the LAN DNS first unless you have something like DNS hijack to the WAN or a specific DNS address. Well, we don't. If not resolved, WAN DNS. You should prioritize the LAN DNS instead of the WAN. frown

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
a week ago

@Clive_A I'm clearly not communicating effectively. It would be easy to say 'of course it routes!  it's a router!', but I understand there is more to it than that (IE: NAT).  BUT, that really isnt my point.

As I have already made the changes on my VLAN config, I will just leave this alone.  

Options