EAP215-Bridge Kit - Bridges drop at least once per day

2024-05-01 10:05:27 - last edited 2024-05-02 23:07:51
Tags: #Mesh #Bridge
Model: EAP215-Bridge KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Hi All - looking for some help with this new product. We current have 2 bridges setup in a business environment, one about 1400 ft long and the other about 50 ft long and both drop often! When they are not dropping, the speeds are near hardwired speeds. I really want these bridges to work well, but I can't get any good data as to why the bridges are dropping. 

We are using the OC300 controller to manage the bridge kit and the logs don't tell much. Working with TP-Link hasn't produced any results. I think it the drops are caused by high channel utilization but I can't get any definitive answers as to why it is high. Some of the stats show high traffic right before the drop, which also kind of lines up with high channel utilization. 

Where can I get definitive anwsers?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP215-Bridge Kit - Bridges drop at least once per day-Solution
2024-05-01 22:08:09 - last edited 2024-05-02 23:07:51

@OCMSP 

I think you may need to go more industrial by which I mean 60Ghz, like Ubiquiti AirFiber type stuff (maybe the AirFibre 60 HD?).  I don't think you'll ever be happy in the 5.8Ghz band and I don't think TPlink has a 60Ghz offering at the moment.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:EAP215-Bridge Kit - Bridges drop at least once per day
2024-05-01 12:58:06

@OCMSP 

Are the outage gaps consistent in terms of time?  I wonder if this is a 'crash/reboot' cycle caused by high utilization.  Do you have the CPU/Memory stats for the bridge devices from your controller?

Options
2024-05-01 15:39:29

Thanks for the reply @d0ugmac1. The Mem and CPU were normal. I was thinking the same as well, overutilization. I've rate limit the switch port for each uplink/downlink to the bridges to 50mbps and just waiting to see if it'll drop today.   

Options
2024-05-01 15:58:47

@OCMSP 

Are you in a DFS country?

Are both your bridges running on the same 5.8G channel?

Options
2024-05-01 16:05:22

@d0ugmac1 

Yes - I am in USA. 

As for channels - no they are not on the same channnel.

Bridge 1:

Bridge 2:

Options
2024-05-01 21:21:23

@OCMSP 

Interesting stats.

The channels you are on are not DFS in the US (to my knowledge).  Did you pick them, or did the bridges?

For testing I always recommend forcing the BW to 20Mhz, and then picking a channel with lowest background noise at BOTH ends (use a Wifi scanner or analyser app).

Is there any other wifi on the property or nearby?

Is the controller set up to do any kind of AI optimizing of your WLANs?

Do you have any high noise equipment nearby, like welders or carbon arc lamps, industrial motors, microwave ovens, radio/cell towers, airports, it really looks like intermittent noise to me.  If not remedied on a different channel, it may be broadband noise such as is emitted by electric arcs in motors/welders/lights or even ignition systems of older vehicles.  To my understanding the bridges are just optimized versions of the outdoor mesh APs which I've been using for years and they've been solid (but I am in a low noise environment)

Options
2024-05-01 21:36:26

@d0ugmac1 

Im 100% thinking the same. We're in a very noisy RF area. Next to an small airport, industrial complex, also there is a wireless broadband provider in the middle of the complex. I was hoping OC-300 could provide detail level logs that would correlate noise/channel utilization right before drop. Also with the bridge kit being in mesh mode, the AI Optimation wont work since it'll disable scanning. Makes me wonder how the auto channel and channel width options for the radios would work if it can't scan in mesh mode. In the logs I never saw that the bridge kit switched to another channel based on utilization. It just stayed on the same channel througout the storm. 

Is there a more industrialized version of these bridge kits? From speaking w/ support - these are the latest and greatest. I wonder if the Pharos hardware might work better.

Options
Re:EAP215-Bridge Kit - Bridges drop at least once per day-Solution
2024-05-01 22:08:09 - last edited 2024-05-02 23:07:51

@OCMSP 

I think you may need to go more industrial by which I mean 60Ghz, like Ubiquiti AirFiber type stuff (maybe the AirFibre 60 HD?).  I don't think you'll ever be happy in the 5.8Ghz band and I don't think TPlink has a 60Ghz offering at the moment.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-02 23:07:31

@d0ugmac1 

60GHz will more than likely be the move. Thanks for the input and chat.

@TP-link get on the 60GHz bandwagon please!

Options
2024-06-04 21:52:14
60 GHZ is much faster but drops out in any rain/snow/fog.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 956

Replies: 9

Tags

Mesh
Bridge
Related Articles