WPA3 + Fast Roaming = No Roaming ?

2024-05-28 13:38:11 - last edited 2024-05-28 13:43:57
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.15

Hello,

I try to setup my new Omada Network (1 eap650 on one building and 2 eap610 on another building), and i noticed with https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/ i don't have fast roaming with WPA3 Personal. Buildings are separated in two sites in omada system

SSID with good fast roaming:

And the SSID with roaming problem:

PS :  802.11r unchecked for testings, cuz I have the issue described here with this checkbox checked

PS :  802.11r unchecked here for testing, cuz I have the issue described here with this checkbox checked

On the WPA3 ssid, when i am connected to 2.4 Ghz and i come into 5Ghz -70 dBm or higher range, nothing happen. The otherway is the same, go out of 5ghz range just disconnect the phone

On the WPA2 SSID,  when i am connected to 5 Ghz and i come to -70 dBm or lower signal strenght, my phone switch to 2.4 Ghz, and when i come back, my phone switch back around 15/20sec later.

I have issue on multi ap building too, the roaming happen when the iphone lost signal from its current AP for the problematic SSID, and for the other SSID in WPA2, all is fine.

PS1 : Advanced site settings

Same for 5Ghz

Thanks for your help

Options
17 Reply
Re:WPA3 + Fast Roaming = No Roaming ?
2024-05-29 18:08:24

Hello back,

I tested a lot of configurations this afternoon, only one has failure with roaming (between ap or same ap) :

Uncheck 802.11r solves my issue at home but it is not the solution.

I unchecked this on my customer complained about little drops when he walks in his space, before i tell him to put another ap, but after wifi survey, another ap is not necessary

Options
2024-05-30 02:39:16

Hi @mixman68 

The reason casued this issue might be the iPhone's wireless connection mechanism. For the device that first connects to the SSID, it might pass the authentication via either of the WPA2 or WPA3 encryption. However, if the iPhone passed the authentication via WPA3 for the first time, it will not able to switch to WPA2 encryption (in 2.4GHz) automatically. 
You may need to forget or delete the WiFi and reconnect to it so that it can associate with this SSID again. Before the mechanism updated, the solution is to close the WPA3 encryption.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-30 07:25:50 - last edited 2024-05-30 07:26:19

Hello @Hank21 

are you sure of this ?

my iPhone is connected on 2.4Ghz in WPA3

I checked with my thinkpad and it is the same

uncheck the 802.11r has solved my issue but increased association time (around 200ms)

WPA2+802.11r solves the issue too (around 30/40ms to roam)

i created this topic to raise this issue, the two workaround i posted before working

Options
2024-05-31 01:44:09

mixman68 wrote

Hello @Hank21 

are you sure of this ?

my iPhone is connected on 2.4Ghz in WPA3

I checked with my thinkpad and it is the same

uncheck the 802.11r has solved my issue but increased association time (around 200ms)

WPA2+802.11r solves the issue too (around 30/40ms to roam)

i created this topic to raise this issue, the two workaround i posted before working

Hi @mixman68 

Thanks for your information. May I also confirm the hardware version of your EAP610, and the firmware version of your EAP650 and EAP610?

For EAP610 V1 with previous firmware version, there might be issue on the WPA3 supports. Or you can wait for the firmware updated on EAP as well as the client network card updated so that it will be more compatible.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-31 06:21:05

Hello @Hank21 

my eap610 are v1 and firmware 1.1.5

my eap650 are v1 with firmware 1.0.13

Options
2024-06-03 01:54:20

Hi @mixman68 

It will take a lone time to fix compatible issue between client devices and WPA3, it's not just a work for tp-link but also for client devices' manufacturor. If you search online you will see it's not a simple issue only for tp-ink AP.

However you can try to set up a RSSI Threshold(maybe -65 dBm for your case), so the AP will force device disconnected when the signal is bad. The device can only try to reconnect the closer AP when it reach RSSI Threshold. 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-06-03 07:17:52 - last edited 2024-06-03 07:18:08

Hi @Fae my issue has a workaround (uncheck 802.11r)

rssi don't work cuz on client side logs I see a association failure when this checkbox is checked

my customers don't complain since I unchecked this and I lost only 1 or two packets during the roaming, so not seamless but not critical too

I successfully solved 802.11r on another couple of OpenWRT of an another customer and it was tricky, AP must have all R0KH and R1KH of closest neighbor. FT must be on air without local generated PMK, very hard to setup

Options
2024-06-03 14:06:29 - last edited 2024-06-03 14:11:42

Just to chime in that I had also been seeing wireless issues with iOS device and turning off 802.11r under WPA3 corrected it for me. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting the client device itself with no success (an iPhone XS was the biggest culprit). I was even looking to buy a new phone because the issue wasn't noticeable on newer iOS devices but I had a very small sample set and almost all evidence was anecdotal.

Mixman68 has provided a lot more specific detail but if I can provide any details that might help please let me know. I'm running the same EAP650 firmware as well (2 devices).

My experience, just for reference in case it helps others having same situation, was the iPhone XS would indicate a connection but no data would flow until I turned wifi off and then back on; apps and webpages would simply time out. Additionally, the device would hold onto an AP long past when it should switch to the much closer AP and it'd flip back and forth repeatedly often creating time-outs again, but inconsistently (wifi analyzer would show the flips every couple seconds in some cases). As soon as I refreshed the wifi connection all worked fine for a day or sometimes four days but usually had to do the wifi flip at least once a week. Removing and re-adding the wifi network or fully resetting network on iOS didn't fix the issue any better than refreshing the wifi (I did not try a full factory reset). Turning off 802.11r resolved both experiences.

I haven't had any noticeable consequences to turning 802.11r off in my home environment but my understanding is that 802.11r is more impactful in enterprise setting, but if there's a further downside I'd appreciate knowing.

I also saw that Omada Controller software will start setting 802.11r on by default for all new SSIDs in newest firmware.

Options
2024-07-18 08:56:50

Hi TP link

do you have some news about this issue

i try to turn on 802.11r again and issue reappear so it seems to be broken yet

Options
2024-07-18 21:56:24

@mixman68

I am not sure if this is the same issue, but everyone in my place complains about wifi lately. Both iphone users and Samsung. I've just turned off 802.11r. Let's see.

I've been told numerous times that it's up to phone to decide about wifi roam. But weeks ago it used to work much much better.

I'll share feedback about 802.11r in following days.

Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1874

Replies: 17

Related Articles