mDNS - Gateway vs AP
mDNS - Gateway vs AP
2024-05-29 11:40:04 - last edited 2024-05-31 01:00:21
Tags: #mDNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: v2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

Hi,

Although new to mDNS, I have set up a working config to advertise Spotify devices from my LAN(1) to my GUESTLAN (10).

My question is about understanding the Gateway vs AP options, as I can't find any suitable explanation. I assume that both options are 'repeaters' but could someone:

a) explain the differences?

b) is there a benefit of one over the other, or particular scenarios where you would choose one over the other?

c) are there any security considerations?

d) and lastly ..... is there a way of clearing any mDNS information throughout the network and clients, if I wanted a 'clean canvas' for testing?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

My infrastructure stack involves Mesh and consists of various quantities of:

OC200 HW v2.0, FW v2.14.4 Build 20240304 Rel.54311 and SDN v5.13.30.20 with USB storage

ER605 HW v2.0 and FW v2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

SG2210MP HW v4.0 and FW v4.20.1 Build 20240115 Rel.72847

EAP650 HW v1.0 and FW v1.0.13 Build 20240131 Rel. 45057

SG2210P HW v5.0 and FW v5.20.1 Build 20240202 Rel 75644

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:mDNS - Gateway vs AP-Solution
2024-05-30 01:12:03 - last edited 2024-05-30 07:42:35

Hi @mortimm 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

a) From different layers. Gateway is universal to the whole subnet you've selected. L3. AP, L2. You should see the difference in its config.

From the gateway, it applies to the whole network regardless of whether you have an AP or not.

b) As above.

c) I don't know how to answer this. You should first know what mDNS is used for. Should be no. But you should ask yourself if you are worried about the security, why do you need a cross-VLAN discovery?

If you have blocked the comm between the VLANs due to security concerns, then mDNS is blocked as well by default.

d) Do you mean that you want to clean the mDNS cache? You should refer to the commands on different systems. The cache is not stored on the router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:mDNS - Gateway vs AP-Solution
2024-05-30 01:12:03 - last edited 2024-05-30 07:42:35

Hi @mortimm 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

a) From different layers. Gateway is universal to the whole subnet you've selected. L3. AP, L2. You should see the difference in its config.

From the gateway, it applies to the whole network regardless of whether you have an AP or not.

b) As above.

c) I don't know how to answer this. You should first know what mDNS is used for. Should be no. But you should ask yourself if you are worried about the security, why do you need a cross-VLAN discovery?

If you have blocked the comm between the VLANs due to security concerns, then mDNS is blocked as well by default.

d) Do you mean that you want to clean the mDNS cache? You should refer to the commands on different systems. The cache is not stored on the router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:mDNS - Gateway vs AP
2024-05-30 07:42:18
Hi Clive, Many thanks for a quick reply and you have given all my questions some clarity. With regards to question d) I didn't know if mDNS cached differently to regular DNS but given your answer, I'll use the method appropriate to the clients' OS. Once again .... thank you for your help. Mike
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 324

Replies: 2

Tags

Related Articles